cannot create restore points

am unable to create any restore points either auto or manual, get error msg
Sys Rest. not able to create, restart & try again.
Have plenty of free space
Have tried to re install sr.inf, but as windowsxp pre inst. have no cd-rom
to use when asked to insert to get sr.sys file
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot create restore points

    Hi,

    Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    Click apply/ok, then reboot.

    Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

    Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

    If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    extensions for known file types".

    Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    install.

    You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > am unable to create any restore points either auto or manual, get error
    > msg
    > Sys Rest. not able to create, restart & try again.
    > Have plenty of free space
    > Have tried to re install sr.inf, but as windowsxp pre inst. have no cd-rom
    > to use when asked to insert to get sr.sys file

    Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

    stopped, re-booted, started re-booted no effect,
    sytem volume information folder, "Access denied", anyway iot had 0 bytes ie
    empty,

    Tried to install sr.inf, have no cd-rom, located I386, found file sr.sy_
    tried install
    no change. Have no servicepack files folder, have sp2 cd-rom but have not
    installed yet due to this problem.

    Any other ideas??

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    > restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    > it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    > Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >
    > Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    > need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    > this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >
    > Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    > doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >
    > If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >
    > Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    > files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    > "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    > extensions for known file types".
    >
    > Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    > C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    > install.
    >
    > You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    > is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    > \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > am unable to create any restore points either auto or manual, get error
    > > msg
    > > Sys Rest. not able to create, restart & try again.
    > > Have plenty of free space
    > > Have tried to re install sr.inf, but as windowsxp pre inst. have no cd-rom
    > > to use when asked to insert to get sr.sys file

    Hi,

    Take ownership (click help and support and search on that phrase if you are
    unsure how) of the System Volume Information folder, then delete it while
    System Restore is disabled. There is likely folder corruption, and unless
    you remove the folder itself you will not be rid of it.

    --

    > Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
    >
    > stopped, re-booted, started re-booted no effect,
    > sytem volume information folder, "Access denied", anyway iot had 0 bytes
    > ie
    > empty,
    >
    > Tried to install sr.inf, have no cd-rom, located I386, found file sr.sy_
    > tried install
    > no change. Have no servicepack files folder, have sp2 cd-rom but have not
    > installed yet due to this problem.
    >
    > Any other ideas??
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    >> restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    >> it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to
    >> disabled.
    >> Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >>
    >> Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    >> need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    >> this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >>
    >> Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    >> doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >>
    >> If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >>
    >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    >> files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then
    >> uncheck
    >> "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    >> extensions for known file types".
    >>
    >> Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    >> C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    >> install.
    >>
    >> You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386
    >> folder
    >> is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    >> \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > am unable to create any restore points either auto or manual, get error
    >> > msg
    >> > Sys Rest. not able to create, restart & try again.
    >> > Have plenty of free space
    >> > Have tried to re install sr.inf, but as windowsxp pre inst. have no
    >> > cd-rom
    >> > to use when asked to insert to get sr.sys file

    Hi Rick,

    only 1 quota on c drive "built\administrators" followed instructions to
    delete quota entries and msg window appeared stating i could not delete, all
    information states folder ok status ok.

    thanks for help, any other suggestions ??

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Take ownership (click help and support and search on that phrase if you are
    > unsure how) of the System Volume Information folder, then delete it while
    > System Restore is disabled. There is likely folder corruption, and unless
    > you remove the folder itself you will not be rid of it.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
    > >
    > > stopped, re-booted, started re-booted no effect,
    > > sytem volume information folder, "Access denied", anyway iot had 0 bytes
    > > ie
    > > empty,
    > >
    > > Tried to install sr.inf, have no cd-rom, located I386, found file sr.sy_
    > > tried install
    > > no change. Have no servicepack files folder, have sp2 cd-rom but have not
    > > installed yet due to this problem.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas??
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    > >> restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    > >> it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to
    > >> disabled.
    > >> Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    > >>
    > >> Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    > >> need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    > >> this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    > >>
    > >> Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    > >> doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    > >>
    > >> If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    > >>
    > >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    > >> files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then
    > >> uncheck
    > >> "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    > >> extensions for known file types".
    > >>
    > >> Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    > >> C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    > >> install.
    > >>
    > >> You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386
    > >> folder
    > >> is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    > >> \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    That's why you need to take ownership first. If you don't, you won't have
    sufficient privileges to do this.

    --

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > only 1 quota on c drive "built\administrators" followed instructions to
    > delete quota entries and msg window appeared stating i could not delete,
    > all
    > information states folder ok status ok.
    >
    > thanks for help, any other suggestions ??
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Take ownership (click help and support and search on that phrase if you
    >> are
    >> unsure how) of the System Volume Information folder, then delete it while
    >> System Restore is disabled. There is likely folder corruption, and unless
    >> you remove the folder itself you will not be rid of it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > stopped, re-booted, started re-booted no effect,
    >> > sytem volume information folder, "Access denied", anyway iot had 0
    >> > bytes
    >> > ie
    >> > empty,
    >> >
    >> > Tried to install sr.inf, have no cd-rom, located I386, found file
    >> > sr.sy_
    >> > tried install
    >> > no change. Have no servicepack files folder, have sp2 cd-rom but have
    >> > not
    >> > installed yet due to this problem.
    >> >
    >> > Any other ideas??

    hi again rick

    disabled system restore, restart on system, took ownership of system volume
    infomation, deleted contents, restarted system restore, restart on system
    no change to system restore, tried to install sr.inf, could only find sr.sy_
    file in I386
    have no cd-rom as software pre installed only factory reset disk, does sp2
    have any files that could help or any more ideas ???

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > That's why you need to take ownership first. If you don't, you won't have
    > sufficient privileges to do this.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Rick,
    > >
    > > only 1 quota on c drive "built\administrators" followed instructions to
    > > delete quota entries and msg window appeared stating i could not delete,
    > > all
    > > information states folder ok status ok.
    > >
    > > thanks for help, any other suggestions ??
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Take ownership (click help and support and search on that phrase if you
    > >> are
    > >> unsure how) of the System Volume Information folder, then delete it while
    > >> System Restore is disabled. There is likely folder corruption, and unless
    > >> you remove the folder itself you will not be rid of it.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    The sr.inf file would be under C:\Windows\Inf, try there.

    --

    > hi again rick
    >
    > disabled system restore, restart on system, took ownership of system
    > volume
    > infomation, deleted contents, restarted system restore, restart on system
    > no change to system restore, tried to install sr.inf, could only find
    > sr.sy_
    > file in I386
    > have no cd-rom as software pre installed only factory reset disk, does sp2
    > have any files that could help or any more ideas ???
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> That's why you need to take ownership first. If you don't, you won't have
    >> sufficient privileges to do this.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Rick,
    >> >
    >> > only 1 quota on c drive "built\administrators" followed instructions to
    >> > delete quota entries and msg window appeared stating i could not
    >> > delete,
    >> > all
    >> > information states folder ok status ok.
    >> >
    >> > thanks for help, any other suggestions ??

    Hi Rick

    More problems

    Followed your instructions to install sr.inf
    On trying to restart sytem restore had error msg

    "Could not restart System Restore Service on local computer
    Error 5 Access Denied"

    Can you help???

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The sr.inf file would be under C:\Windows\Inf, try there.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi again rick
    > >
    > > disabled system restore, restart on system, took ownership of system
    > > volume
    > > infomation, deleted contents, restarted system restore, restart on system
    > > no change to system restore, tried to install sr.inf, could only find
    > > sr.sy_
    > > file in I386
    > > have no cd-rom as software pre installed only factory reset disk, does sp2
    > > have any files that could help or any more ideas ???
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> That's why you need to take ownership first. If you don't, you won't have
    > >> sufficient privileges to do this.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "towism" <towism@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Same exact situation here. Followed all your suggestioons rick. No luck.
    SR still will not creat a restore point.

    Anyone else have a clue?

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP