Erratic Service Problems...

Hey,
OK, so here goes: whenever I have no programs running, with my computer idling on the desktop, I have absolutely 0% CPU usage. However, whenever I start running a game (ex.: Oblivion), I have sporadic CPU usage, ranging from 60% to 99%, usually on the lower end though, changing every several seconds. Considering that it should be at near 100% all the time, this is a real bother. The "System Idle Processes" take up most of this extra CPU space, but "System" also contributes to the problem. I don't know how to fix this, my processes and services are optimized. I tried fixing it with Regedit by giving frontal big programs larger priority, but that didn't help either. Ideas, anyone?
15 answers Last reply
More about erratic service problems
  1. Does Oblivion slow down and speed up while playing at the same rate your taskmgr shows?

Check your processor scheduling by going to system properties, advanced tab, performance settings button then to the advanced tab in that window and ensure your processor scheduling is on programs.

If you don't have enough ram its possible that the "System" cpu usage is the system swapping out to virtual memory or something.

Some threads have higher priority than others and they may just be doing their work.

If you really want to figure out what it is you could try disconnecting any extra usb or other un-needed hardware and disabling some services to see if you can change that sporadic (horadric cube?) usage.

For a short period before I got my new powersupply and Zalman for my vid card I'd have my usage jump from 0 to 40% repeatedly and I could feel it as the mouse stuck on every 40% jump. The powersupply and Zalman (my vid card overheated hardcore) fixed that prob though.
  2. Quote:
    Does Oblivion slow down and speed up while playing at the same rate your taskmgr shows?

Check your processor scheduling by going to system properties, advanced tab, performance settings button then to the advanced tab in that window and ensure your processor scheduling is on programs.

If you don't have enough ram its possible that the "System" cpu usage is the system swapping out to virtual memory or something.

Some threads have higher priority than others and they may just be doing their work.

If you really want to figure out what it is you could try disconnecting any extra usb or other un-needed hardware and disabling some services to see if you can change that sporadic (horadric cube?) usage.

For a short period before I got my new powersupply and Zalman for my vid card I'd have my usage jump from 0 to 40% repeatedly and I could feel it as the mouse stuck on every 40% jump. The powersupply and Zalman (my vid card overheated hardcore) fixed that prob though.

Yeah, processor scheduling is set for "performance." I have 2 gigs of RAM, which I hope is enough. I optimized my services a while ago, disabled everything that I don't use. It runs noticably better, but still kinda stupidly. I have zero non-Microsoft services running. I don't have any USB stuff hooked up. My stuff runs cool enough, it's all usually below 50 C. I don't have any useless processes running either. I believe that Oblivion does slow down when the System services spike, that's when it lags. Otherwise, the frame rates are great, it just has lots of lag. I can't find any viruses on my computer, but I don't know, I have 64 bit windows which has terrible virus protection, so. Maybe there's a root wandering around there or something, I tried to use root revealer but it just trys to send an error report whenever it opens. I thought I disabled that error reporting thing in regedit already, but whatever. I digress.
  3. Have you viewed your system with hijackthis? I use to check for baddies on comps.

I don't use too many services on my machines. Here a screen shot of my what I have running, its pretty minimal. I turn DCOM on whenever I need it (for certain apps and install progs) and sometimes DNS. I used to keep off event log, hid input service, system event notifier, network connections and spooler but now I get tired of turning some things on whenever I need em.

http://www.imagecabin.com/files/2006/10/15/thumbs/160894033d0b2bf779fbacbf0.jpg
  4. Quote:
    Have you viewed your system with hijackthis? I use to check for baddies on comps.

I don't use too many services on my machines. Here a screen shot of my what I have running, its pretty minimal. I turn DCOM on whenever I need it (for certain apps and install progs) and sometimes DNS. I used to keep off event log, hid input service, system event notifier, network connections and spooler but now I get tired of turning some things on whenever I need em.

http://www.imagecabin.com/files/2006/10/15/thumbs/160894033d0b2bf779fbacbf0.jpg

Yeah, I've scanned with hijackthis, but I haven't removed anything. I posted the logfile to Hijackthis logfile, but it didn't really give any definitive ideas, so I left it as it is. Here it is (I find it funny how it thinks I have Windows 2003..):

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:21:54 PM, on 10/21/2006
    Platform: Windows 2003 SP1 (WinNT 5.02.3790)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.3790.1830)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe
    D:\Program Files (x86)\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\Mom\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = D:\Program Files (x86)\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1150820391046
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EE19803C-69B5-4F0C-B223-B04EDF0B9688}: NameServer = 209.165.131.12 209.165.131.13
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~2\MSN Messenger\msgrapp.8.0.0792.00.dll
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~2\MSN Messenger\msgrapp.8.0.0792.00.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dimsntfy.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: EFS - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sclgntfy.dll
    O23 - Service: Event Log (Eventlog) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc64.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Plug and Play (PlugPlay) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Protected Storage (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Virtual Disk Service (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)

Your process list looks a lot like mine. I've killed everything that isn't necessary in mine too.
  5. I also think you have Windows 2003 haha. The only thing I can see in your log is maybe disable secondary logon (sclgntfy) and disconnect your your domain server (dimsntfy ), maybe your networking is causing the slow down. Your log looks clean. Nothing to indicate anything evil in there.

C:\DOCUME~1\Mom\ <----- Mom :D LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

Does your computer slow down during the usage jumps? Does it do the jumps when you've taken everything out of memory and only run y our game? If so then maybe check your network stuff.
  6. hey Wosh quick question for ya..

I used to know a site that had a great list of the best and safe things to run off in that 2nd pic you provided. I do not remember the site is there anyway you could help me out as I want to minimize the ammount of processes running as well.
  7. Also go to

http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html

and download Process Explorer, it'll let you watch whats doing what. They have some awesome utilities there. I use Process Explorer once in a while but FileMon is great when trying to see what files your program is accessing. I used it to no-cd my risk II game cause I was tired of digging out the CD everytime I wanted to play and I used it to find where ZipScan was recording my trial time (%windir%\ttyxa.sys).

Quite useful tools, I think I'm going to download a few more.
  8. Quote:
    I also think you have Windows 2003 haha. The only thing I can see in your log is maybe disable secondary logon (sclgntfy) and disconnect your your domain server (dimsntfy ), maybe your networking is causing the slow down. Your log looks clean. Nothing to indicate anything evil in there.

C:\DOCUME~1\Mom\ <----- Mom :D LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

Does your computer slow down during the usage jumps? Does it do the jumps when you've taken everything out of memory and only run y our game? If so then maybe check your network stuff.

Huh. I thought I fried secondary logon a long time ago. I hate how it still has my user name as "Mom" - one of my friends gave a try at installing x64 Windows with RAID (a real challenge), and in the end gave up and just installed it in ordinary configuration with the user name as Mom, as some sort of sick joke or something. Even though I've changed my user name since then it still saves all my stuff as "Mom..." Anyway. I disabled the secondary logon and the domain server thing and I'll try it out for gaming in a minute (I don't know where that came from, I'm not on any kind of server). The computer does slow down during these usage jumps in games; it will lag for a second or two. I usually run Oblivion without anything in the background, if that's what you're asking. Even if I have stuff in the background it still runs angry.
  9. I'm not sure of a site. I started trial and error when I first got Win 2000. I really hated NT then because I was used to customizing my Win95 systems by sticking in Win98 dlls/ocx' that were more optimized and hex editing WinME dlls so I could stick them in too. The smallest Wind95 I put together was 12MB hdd space and occupied 8MB of memory (or was it 8mb hdd & 12mb mem?). It had just enough to load the system, graphics drivers and directx so I could play my Unreal Tournament at full speed. I miss the customizability of Win9x. <stares off into space>

As for services,
    There are some required services like Com+ and RPC, you used to be able to stop them in the old days and bluescreen. Some other ones are needed by certain apps. For instance some programs will error on load if the Event Viewer service isn't running. The Windows Installer service is required for most app installations these days so I turn it on when I install things. DCOM is used by alot of programs too.

Having some stopped will reduce functionality in Windows. Some of my development environments don't work 100% because I have alot of services disabled. Alot of services don't need to be on like Zero Wireless if you don't have a wireless card or Windows Time if you don't need it to grab time from a network. Certain ones are needed like Windows Audio (sound) and Print Spooler (print preview and printer work). I don't use file or printer sharing or any extra networking besides simple tpc/ip so I turn those services off and lose the functionality of it.

Certain services turn themselves on when needed (put to manual instead of automatic setup) and 25 or so other ones are disabled.

You can try googling for optimize windows services or something similar.

As for processes,
    I personally don't like anything running except what must be loaded for the system to operate. I don't like virus scanners, anti-spyware programs or anything that uses up resources. I keep no programs executing on bootup. You can use msconfig to disable startup progs (start, run, type msconfig and click ok).

Some processes you may want to auto start like ones that talk to your scanner or printer or wireless air card. For those ones I just put links to their startup exe's on my toolbar and remove them from startup.
  10. Quote:
    hey Wosh quick question for ya..

I used to know a site that had a great list of the best and safe things to run off in that 2nd pic you provided. I do not remember the site is there anyway you could help me out as I want to minimize the ammount of processes running as well.

I usually just Google the processes I can't figure out myself and add "+essential" at the end of them. It may not be the optimal way to do it, but it works. If you do that you'll run accross some pretty impressive process catalogs in the meantime. There's lots of them.
  11. If youve got windows server this may or may not apply but if you have a dual core processor you NEED to download the dual core optimizer patch from microsoft. It fixes an issue with dual cores thats a lot like what youre describing.
  12. Well I have duel core but win XP :)
  13. Quote:
    If youve got windows server this may or may not apply but if you have a dual core processor you NEED to download the dual core optimizer patch from microsoft. It fixes an issue with dual cores thats a lot like what youre describing.

Nope, got 3GHz (OC) single core AMD (so no HT). Also, Wosh: I just looked in network connections and my computer thinks I have a 1394 high speed network connection; it listed the 1394 connection as "enabled." I don't have, and have never had, one of those, I just have dial-up (no DSL/cable service where I live and sattelite costs a lot). I don't ever really know what that 1394 thing does. Anyway, I disabled it, maybe that will help. And I have only one computer (no network).

I downloaded those utities you mentioned, working on making them work for me right now.

Also, I've noticed something strange about my computer. When you type in "msinfo32.exe" in "Run," it says that it can't access the Windows Management Instrumentation Software, and that Windows management files may be moved or missing. I don't know if my install of Windows was faulty or something, maybe that's contributing to the problem.
  14. Quote:
    Also go to

http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html

and download Process Explorer, it'll let you watch whats doing what. They have some awesome utilities there. I use Process Explorer once in a while but FileMon is great when trying to see what files your program is accessing. I used it to no-cd my risk II game cause I was tired of digging out the CD everytime I wanted to play and I used it to find where ZipScan was recording my trial time (%windir%\ttyxa.sys).

Quite useful tools, I think I'm going to download a few more.

I'm not completely computer fluent, and therefore can't accurately use the more advanced functions of either program well, but to me it seems as if Process Explorer is simply a souped-up version of Task Manager - is there a way to make these programs work in a more useful manner for me? I suspect there is...if only I knew more :? I really appreciate the help, thanks tons. :D
  15. In process explorer you can right click processes and go to properties and check out whats happening with the processes. Ones like svchost give you a services tab in their properties to see whats running under them. Other ones let you see the active threads under the thread tab and also let you see performance which can indicate how much time its getting.

Look at the information in the properties to see what is going on inside the processes. In Process Explorer you can right click the column headers of the main screen to get more info like path and windows title to help figure out what is what. The dependancy walker (launch depends) shows all the modules the process is depending on. If a module is missing it'll list a warning in red in the bottom pane.

Since this problem happens when you play games then its going to have to be something the games are loading. They're using directx which is tied into video, sound, input and networking. Go to start, to run and type in dxdiag and click ok. Let it do its scan then click on each tab (Display to Network) and see if it reports any errors.

I can't remember if you said you tried new drivers to fix it but try installing directx 9.0c again and try that. Also consider updating or reinstalling your vid, sound and network drivers. I always throw directx ontop my vid/sound drivers every time I change them.

Have you tried running the game with sound disabled or disabling the sound card? It'd be good to troubleshoot out that idea just to see if its sound related.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt CPUs Systems