Status
Not open for further replies.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Metal fatigue is for sure the best I have ever played. this game is awsome and it works on xp no problem
x13fk6.jpg

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
logo.gif

Played EQ for long time, thinking about starting again soon.

Im not sure if diablo 2 counts that was fun "back in the day".

Olivion i heard is pretty tight i got it for 360 havent been able to try it though cause i havent received my x360.

G

Oblivion is not really a RPG in my opinion. Neither is Diablo.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Oblivion is not really a RPG in my opinion. Neither is Diablo.

Quite right. Oblivion is more of an Adventure game with CRPG elements. Empahsis on the "C" of RPG here. And Diablo is an Action CRPG.

The OPs question is inherently flawed in the way it is asked. Because, as a matter of fact, there are no RPGs for any kind of computer. All there are would be CRPG - the "C" gets lost most of the time because people are too lazy to type it (or because they didn´t know any better because everyone around them already forgot about the magic "C"). This always leads to people argueing what a RPG is, where CRPGs start and even what an adventure game is, and most of the time big flaming ensues.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
you know what I hate? I hate when people are all like "that's not an RPG it has RPG elements". Technically what does RPG stand for? ROLE PLAYING GAME. Does it say anywhere in the name Stat-building-wh0re? No.

A roleplaying game in reality is any game where you take control of a player. Before Dungeons and Dragons there was a game by the same maker that simulated a life in a town. There was no stats. You simply went about your everyday life by pen and paper. This is the real definition of a RPG.

Final Fantasy is a story driven RPG with extreme rails. In this sense, I admit it is not an a real RPG. It is a forced story driven game with stats. You can't change the outcome of anything, you are constantly broken away from your character and forced into situations with no choice but to advance.

STATS DO NOT EQUAL ROLE PLAYING! A good open ended game with adventure and loot would be the best example of an RPG, one where you take on the life of the character. Sleep, eat, travel and fight.

mvp255

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
you know what I hate? I hate when people are all like "that's not an RPG it has RPG elements". Technically what does RPG stand for? ROLE PLAYING GAME. Does it say anywhere in the name Stat-building-wh0re? No.

A roleplaying game in reality is any game where you take control of a player. Before Dungeons and Dragons there was a game by the same maker that simulated a life in a town. There was no stats. You simply went about your everyday life by pen and paper. This is the real definition of a RPG.

Final Fantasy is a story driven RPG with extreme rails. In this sense, I admit it is not an a real RPG. It is a forced story driven game with stats. You can't change the outcome of anything, you are constantly broken away from your character and forced into situations with no choice but to advance.

STATS DO NOT EQUAL ROLE PLAYING! A good open ended game with adventure and loot would be the best example of an RPG, one where you take on the life of the character. Sleep, eat, travel and fight.

Ummm yea ok. Why don't you 'live' in a make belief world of your own imagination. I for one like to have stats in my RPGs, they don't define them, they enhance them.

Anyways back on topic, FF7 was probably my favorite. Second RPG game that I played, beat. Just incredible.
BG, BG2, BG2:TOB was also incredible, favorite CRPG for me. KOTOR was amazing. KOTOR2 was good. Never played Oblivion.

Valerarren

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Why does no one mention planescape torment?

Oh, and some of the user modules for neverwinter nights were really amazingly good (not the included campaigns, but some of the user mods).

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Hmmm, why has no one mentioned the Fallout series yet? Awesome. Elder Scrolls too, not just oblivion, but from Arena on, for fundamentally changing the RPG

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

then the best RPG ever would be the sims 2....but to me its really FFVII...or FFIX.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I would say FF VII, then Chrono Trigger.

XenoGears for PS1 had an excellent storyline that I really liked.

I also really liked Final Fantasy Tactics, both as a game, and its story.

As for PC games, I would say either the Elder Scrolls Games (I liked the storyline for Morrowind a bit better than Oblivion), or the Baldurs Gate series.

SirBoss

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Metal Fatigue was a great game. To bad the company that made it went out of business shortly after it released and it didn't have time to pick up an online community to support it.

Also, it's an RTS not an RPG ^_^

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Being a Star Wars fan, I really liked Kotor2. I never played Kotor1, but I heard its better.

Kotor2 had some really nice fighting sequences with light sabers... it never ceased to amaze me when I fought dual-lightsaber battles. Storyline was pretty cool, if inconclusive. I hope they make Kotor3.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Those are very good games too. Kotor1 was a better put together game (less buggy, better story), but Kotor2 had a better control interface.

I heard they are working on Kotor3, but it is being developed by the people that did 2, not one (they were different studios). Hopefully they finish it this time instead of leaving out big chunks of the game like they did in Kotor2.

davidober

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Baldur's Gate.

Where, oh where have games like that gone? That game sold a ton of copies, why is no one doing that kind of game anymore? I like games where I control a PARTY, not just one character, so I absolutely loved Baldur's Gate and its expansion sets.

Anyone else love BG?

Status
Not open for further replies.