Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The best RTS & RPG ever

Last response: in Overclocking
October 22, 2006 6:44:23 AM

Metal fatigue is for sure the best I have ever played. this game is awsome and it works on xp no problem

More about : rts rpg

October 22, 2006 8:38:43 AM

Played EQ for long time, thinking about starting again soon.

Im not sure if diablo 2 counts that was fun "back in the day".

Olivion i heard is pretty tight i got it for 360 havent been able to try it though cause i havent received my x360.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2006 2:39:46 PM

Oblivion is not really a RPG in my opinion. Neither is Diablo.
Related resources
October 22, 2006 2:48:56 PM

yeah, diablo was more of a hack and slash style rpg, but still very addictive nonetheless.
October 22, 2006 3:10:18 PM

One of the best RPGs even - Chrono Trigger.
October 22, 2006 3:39:10 PM

I second the vote for Chrono Trigger.
October 22, 2006 4:37:22 PM

Final Fantasy VII, obviously the best RPG, if not game, ever.
October 22, 2006 5:24:46 PM

Quote:
Oblivion is not really a RPG in my opinion. Neither is Diablo.

Quite right. Oblivion is more of an Adventure game with CRPG elements. Empahsis on the "C" of RPG here. And Diablo is an Action CRPG.

The OPs question is inherently flawed in the way it is asked. Because, as a matter of fact, there are no RPGs for any kind of computer. All there are would be CRPG - the "C" gets lost most of the time because people are too lazy to type it (or because they didn´t know any better because everyone around them already forgot about the magic "C"). This always leads to people argueing what a RPG is, where CRPGs start and even what an adventure game is, and most of the time big flaming ensues.
October 22, 2006 6:00:01 PM

you know what I hate? I hate when people are all like "that's not an RPG it has RPG elements". Technically what does RPG stand for? ROLE PLAYING GAME. Does it say anywhere in the name Stat-building-wh0re? No.

A roleplaying game in reality is any game where you take control of a player. Before Dungeons and Dragons there was a game by the same maker that simulated a life in a town. There was no stats. You simply went about your everyday life by pen and paper. This is the real definition of a RPG.

Final Fantasy is a story driven RPG with extreme rails. In this sense, I admit it is not an a real RPG. It is a forced story driven game with stats. You can't change the outcome of anything, you are constantly broken away from your character and forced into situations with no choice but to advance.

STATS DO NOT EQUAL ROLE PLAYING! A good open ended game with adventure and loot would be the best example of an RPG, one where you take on the life of the character. Sleep, eat, travel and fight.
October 22, 2006 6:45:39 PM

Ultima Online up to 2003 :cry: 
October 22, 2006 6:52:40 PM

Quote:
you know what I hate? I hate when people are all like "that's not an RPG it has RPG elements". Technically what does RPG stand for? ROLE PLAYING GAME. Does it say anywhere in the name Stat-building-wh0re? No.

A roleplaying game in reality is any game where you take control of a player. Before Dungeons and Dragons there was a game by the same maker that simulated a life in a town. There was no stats. You simply went about your everyday life by pen and paper. This is the real definition of a RPG.

Final Fantasy is a story driven RPG with extreme rails. In this sense, I admit it is not an a real RPG. It is a forced story driven game with stats. You can't change the outcome of anything, you are constantly broken away from your character and forced into situations with no choice but to advance.

STATS DO NOT EQUAL ROLE PLAYING! A good open ended game with adventure and loot would be the best example of an RPG, one where you take on the life of the character. Sleep, eat, travel and fight.

Ummm yea ok. Why don't you 'live' in a make belief world of your own imagination. I for one like to have stats in my RPGs, they don't define them, they enhance them.

Anyways back on topic, FF7 was probably my favorite. Second RPG game that I played, beat. Just incredible.
BG, BG2, BG2:TOB was also incredible, favorite CRPG for me. KOTOR was amazing. KOTOR2 was good. Never played Oblivion.
October 22, 2006 8:32:36 PM

Why does no one mention planescape torment?

Oh, and some of the user modules for neverwinter nights were really amazingly good (not the included campaigns, but some of the user mods).
October 22, 2006 8:55:00 PM

Planescape Torment was good, story wise. I also want to bring up one of the best games of all time - Super Mario RPG.
October 22, 2006 9:10:25 PM

Hmmm, why has no one mentioned the Fallout series yet? Awesome. Elder Scrolls too, not just oblivion, but from Arena on, for fundamentally changing the RPG
October 22, 2006 9:33:02 PM

Quote:

then the best RPG ever would be the sims 2....but to me its really FFVII...or FFIX.
October 22, 2006 9:48:29 PM

I would say FF VII, then Chrono Trigger.

XenoGears for PS1 had an excellent storyline that I really liked.

I also really liked Final Fantasy Tactics, both as a game, and its story.

As for PC games, I would say either the Elder Scrolls Games (I liked the storyline for Morrowind a bit better than Oblivion), or the Baldurs Gate series.
October 22, 2006 10:00:00 PM

Metal Fatigue was a great game. To bad the company that made it went out of business shortly after it released and it didn't have time to pick up an online community to support it.

Also, it's an RTS not an RPG ^_^
October 22, 2006 10:04:56 PM

Being a Star Wars fan, I really liked Kotor2. I never played Kotor1, but I heard its better.

Kotor2 had some really nice fighting sequences with light sabers... it never ceased to amaze me when I fought dual-lightsaber battles. Storyline was pretty cool, if inconclusive. I hope they make Kotor3.
October 22, 2006 10:10:49 PM

Those are very good games too. Kotor1 was a better put together game (less buggy, better story), but Kotor2 had a better control interface.

I heard they are working on Kotor3, but it is being developed by the people that did 2, not one (they were different studios). Hopefully they finish it this time instead of leaving out big chunks of the game like they did in Kotor2.
October 22, 2006 10:34:39 PM

Probably Deus Ex, Golden Sun (GBA), NWN, Arcanum, or Morrowind.
October 22, 2006 11:01:58 PM

i like dungeon seige and ds2 alot,but most of the time i plat fps games
October 22, 2006 11:32:28 PM

Chrono trigger all the way, probably best game ever.
Deus ex, golden sun and chrono cross would be the follow-ups.
October 22, 2006 11:43:56 PM

dungeons & dragons
October 23, 2006 12:11:20 AM

Shall I mention Duke Nukem 3D :twisted:
October 23, 2006 12:11:54 AM

Baldur's Gate.

Where, oh where have games like that gone? That game sold a ton of copies, why is no one doing that kind of game anymore? I like games where I control a PARTY, not just one character, so I absolutely loved Baldur's Gate and its expansion sets.

Anyone else love BG?
October 23, 2006 12:15:06 AM

I thought no one would ever mention it, but I've become a big fan of DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online). It's much better than WoW in that it is party driven and not just hack and slash. WoW is a twitch game RPG. DDO is a thinking RPG (or is that CRPG...). I'm not a fan of the monthly subscription fees, but it's the best MMORPG I've played.

As for single players games, the whole Baldur's Gate series rocked. Neverwinter Nights had better graphics, but Baldur's kicked it's butt on story line and playability.

Just my thoughts.
October 23, 2006 12:15:16 AM

Mass Effect for the 360 is going to be amazing. I just hope they eventually get it to the PC.
October 23, 2006 12:46:46 AM

DAGGERFALL!!

I love the Elderscrolls series, I own a copy of most every game in it. Daggerfall will always have a special place in my heart as the greatest RPG ever made.

I have never since seen a game that gave you as much freedom to do what you want. Oblivion adds fun details to the freedom, but Daggerfall was the first and the best. There is simply no substitute for how lost you can get among thousands of dungeons, cities, etc. Every new location feels original.
October 23, 2006 1:14:47 AM

thats the way dungeon seize is set up ,you can assemble a aprty and control them and there skills
October 23, 2006 1:20:27 AM

Wait, I thought I posted in a thread titled "The best RPG ever." Did somebody change it to RTS for some reason?
October 23, 2006 1:39:39 AM

omg Ninja /agree, I even have FF7: Ultima Edition for PC. However you did forget Poke'mon. No matter how much we deny loving to catch em' all, that game is an Amazing rpg.

And as far as mmo's go, nothing comes close to WOW, and that's not an opinion, that's a fact. 6.8MILLION PEOPLE can't be wrong, besides I've been playing since beta and I'm still going strong. The only other games to hold my attention for more than a few months are Starcraft and Diablo 2.
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2006 1:39:59 AM

Quote:
Shall I mention Duke Nukem 3D :twisted:

Enemy Territory.... come on....in real time i strategize how to kill those damn emeries.

Failing that COH/COV/GuildWars
October 23, 2006 2:03:15 AM

RTS - im a fan of Earth 2160
RPG - FF7, FF6 and Chronotrigger
October 23, 2006 2:10:44 AM

Quote:
omg Ninja /agree, I even have FF7: Ultima Edition for PC. However you did forget Poke'mon. No matter how much we deny loving to catch em' all, that game is an Amazing rpg.

And as far as mmo's go, nothing comes close to WOW, and that's not an opinion, that's a fact. 6.8MILLION PEOPLE can't be wrong, besides I've been playing since beta and I'm still going strong. The only other games to hold my attention for more than a few months are Starcraft and Diablo 2.

Pokemon is an awesome RPG in the sense of gameplay, story, addictiveness. IMO WoW is not a great game, and I'm sure most gamers will agree. But that's probably why it's so popular - it's for the masses, not us hardcore gamers. It has become the opiate of the masses, thats for damn sure...
October 23, 2006 6:30:37 PM

I tried to move it but i think an admin needs to do this sry
October 26, 2006 3:04:40 PM

FF7 ruled so good! :D  Loved Chrono trigger 8) . FF10 was good play as well (still is sometimes) Still laying blitz ball on occasion.

Really loved to BG series, the original was good, but the second I thought was better, the expansion for it wasn't so hot...It was different because it was the first RPG I ever played, so the romance-driven sub-story was refreshing...And the fac that their was so any quests! So many...Like 1 quadrillion (yeah, it is a slightly larger figure than what they were, but it was good)
NW was ok, might get the second one, didn't really enjot it as much as BG2. Even still play DS2 still, it isn't bad, plus just wanna get a character to level 100 on all fields... :twisted:

Enjoyed red alert and DK, they were good fun in the old days.
October 26, 2006 4:45:17 PM

just got all the BG series (+ expansions), on 2 dvd's, for just £15. had it before years ago but couldn't be bothered with all the cd's that came with it. might see if i can get into it again and master it, which i wasn't able to do last time (my character kept dying at level 1). newer computer this time round as well.
October 26, 2006 11:57:31 PM

RTS

Warhammer 40K
October 27, 2006 1:50:40 AM

Here is my all time greatest list:
20 Pokemon (Gold Silver and Crystal Versions)
19 Tales of Phantasia
18 Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars
17 Fire Emblem (Every Single one)
16 Golden Sun (Both of them)
15 Skies of Arcadia
14 Soul Blazer
13 Dragon Warrior VII
12 Shining Force III
11 Phantasy Star 4
10 Kingdom Hearts (Both)
9 Secret of Mana
8 Suikoden (All of them)
7 Grandia II
6 Xenogears
5 Shining Force II
4 Seiken Denetsu III
3 Chrono Trigger
2 The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
1 Final Fantasy VII
Thats my list, and I'm sticking to it.
October 27, 2006 2:25:50 AM

Thanks. I have a top 50, but I'll save that for some other time.
October 27, 2006 4:51:32 PM

It was about RPG's when I started replying to the thread.
October 27, 2006 7:38:10 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but RTS = Real Time Stratagy.

Aka Warcraft I&2, Spacecraft, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_strategy

...here is a description...

Allot of the games listed are FPS, MMORPG's, RPG, Simulations, etc.

Consider yourself corrected, since at the beginning, the thread was titled the Best RPG ever.

Look at the posts...
October 27, 2006 8:07:02 PM

The guy that started the thread made the title "Best RPG ever" then posted an RTS in the body of he post as the best RPG, for some reason -_-;

I assume some mod cam along and corrected the title since Metal Fatigue is an RTS not and RPG. Blame the origional poster for the confusion :p 
October 27, 2006 8:25:07 PM

My favourite RPG ever has to be Shining Force 3. That game alone made it worth having a Sega Saturn 8)
October 27, 2006 8:28:43 PM

Congratulations. You place in at #12 on the all time greatest list.
With that bit of foolishness out of the way, what about Panzer Dragoon?
October 27, 2006 8:33:08 PM

I presume you mean Saga? I enjoyed it when I played it, but I found it wasn't very replayable. I sold it on Ebay and got 90 quid for it, I bought it for 40!

Incidentally, I noticed you also have Skies Of Arcadia (my 2nd fav game of all time and fav DC game) and Golden Sun (fav GBA game) on your list. Nice to see someone else who appreciates what are relatively obscure games!
October 27, 2006 8:40:37 PM

What can I say, I'm an RPG fan. I go looking for indie RPG's on the web. Look up Mysterious Song by Dark Dread if you have the time.
!