Which case shall i chooe????? m-ATX

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Hmm, finding a decent mATX case for £50 won't be easy. Does this price need to include the PSU?

If not, I'd consider this one, which from the reviews I've read seems like a great case:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=378734

Only problem is it's around £60, not including PSU so you would be looking at about £100 in total if you include a decent 400W ish PSU. It does have 2 120mm fans though, which should give you adequate cooling which I imagine will be pretty important for a gaming machine.

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
The case dosn't look bad. I would be concerned with the cooling and PSU if you intend to use a high end graphics card and a non energy-efficient A64 X2. The specification states there is a 120mm fan on the back, which is good, but I would be worried about whats going to provide the air intake for that fan to expel. I have a similar setup with a Biostar 200P barebones system at present that I've modded to have an 80mm fan on the back instead of 60mm, and it similarly has no intake fan. I'm always having overheating issues when I've played games for a while. As for the PSU, 450W sounds good enough, but as it's a generic case manufacturer then it's probably using a generic PSU, which may not perform as well as a a good name 450W PSU.

The case dosn't look bad. I would be concerned with the cooling and PSU if you intend to use a high end graphics card and a non energy-efficient A64 X2. The specification states there is a 120mm fan on the back, which is good, but I would be worried about whats going to provide the air intake for that fan to expel. I have a similar setup with a Biostar 200P barebones system at present that I've modded to have an 80mm fan on the back instead of 60mm, and it similarly has no intake fan. I'm always having overheating issues when I've played games for a while. As for the PSU, 450W sounds good enough, but as it's a generic case manufacturer then it's probably using a generic PSU, which may not perform as well as a a good name 450W PSU.

I second that. Cooling would be very important issue to be concerned about in a mATX case. So if you can get good cooling and a decent PSU, you should be fine.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
are there any sort of cooing that goes into one of the optical drives?

im thinking of putting fans on the hard disk, upgraded cooling fan on the psu and a good big fan at the back and get a cooling PSU.