Question about videomemory chips - PLS ANSWER

Gam3Ra

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

This chip is not working (problem with removing heatsink). The card is 9800 128MB 256bit
Now Windows detects the card 64MB 128bit. Why?

I'd hazard a guess it's because that is a 64Mb chip that you have broken and it is now only able to see half the memory. As you have halved the memory you have also halved the bus widith.

It might be possible to fix it. If removing the heatsink broke one of the connections to the board a quick touch with a soldering iron might bring it back. But not one for the faint hearted.

Hmmm.. two pairs of 2 chips. Could be taking out one has killed the other?? I did say it was a guess.

And how do you know its only that chip that is broken? Just because the others look ok doesn't mean they are not damaged...

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
The 4 chips are 256Mb organized as 4Mx64 each (note that single chips capacity is always expressed in bits).
So you need 4 chips in order to achieve the full bus width of 256bit. But if you damage one chip you are limited to 128bit: it's impossible for any RAM controller to manage a 192bit bus. It can be 256 or 128, not the 192 mid-value.

So breaking one chip, the RAM controller can't access not only the broken chip, but also the other that is connected to the same 128 bit channel of the bus.

You can try with the soldering iron, but usually when you remove heatsinks without the necessary caution there is a very high risk of damaging the PCB tracks and if it's your case there's nothing you can do.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Do you understand english?? I said the chip capacity in bits not in bytes!

Do the calculations:
256Mbit x 4 chips = 1Gbit
1Gbit / 8bit = 128MBytes
do you understand this? Ok.

The bus width changes because each of the 4 chips provides 64bit of data:
64bit x 4 chips = 256bit.

So if a chip is broken you have only the 192bit of the other three, but the RAM controller can only work with 128 or 256 bit buses, so it uses only 2 chips, leaving the third unused.