duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hi guys,

I have a question for you.
I am planning a big upgrade of my actual system and I am going to buy a Asus P5B, here in Italy.

DDR2 Ram,anyway, is too expansive im my country so I asked a friend (who lives in Boston) to buy these for me

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

Do you think there could be compatibility issues by buying these two products in different countries ?

thanks a lot

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
A P5B Deluxe will be the same in the 5 continents. Same for the RAM.

Corsair is always overpriced. Get OCZ Platinum Revision 2, theyll reach DDR2 1100 CL5. And theyre $5 cheaper hehe

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
A P5B Deluxe will be the same in the 5 continents. Same for the RAM.

Corsair is always overpriced. Get OCZ Platinum Revision 2, theyll reach DDR2 1100 CL5. And theyre $5 cheaper hehe

It's as I though: hardware is hardware all over the world :) thanks
About OCZ I read there are some compatibility problems (newegg site comments).
Anyway, do you think CL5 DDR2 1100 are better then CL4 DDR2 800 ?
I heard Intel Cpu doesn't feel the MHZ difference....

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
newegg comments = n00bs, dont listen unless it blew up or was DOA
Wich CPU will you get and how far do you intend OCing it?? Wich HSF will you get?

I am going to buy:
Intel Core 2 6400
Aus P5B
2x 1gb Corsair 6400 4-4-4-12
Nvidia Geforce 7600gt 256Mb
Hard disk Sata 2 160 Gb 8Mb buffer

I am going to re-use my old but still in good shape atx case and my 450w psu. I don't OC, sorry.
I asked my italian friend who lives in boston just to buy the ram for me. Other hardware is too big to pass the airport control for VAT and taxes in general.
Let's say this: here in italy they ask me 900 euros for this hardware = 650 dollars.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I don't OC, sorry.
Then youre making my life too easy hehe
Without OCing you wont notice the slight real world performance boost expensive RAM will give you. Go with DDR2 533, youll be matching the stock FSB speed this way.
Sadly enough, also the expensive motherboard would go to waste. Just go for something thats stable and has all the connectors you need.
Spend the money you had reserved for this on the E6600. You will truthly see and improvement this way.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Wich CPU will you get and how far do you intend OCing it?? Wich HSF will you get?

There were compatibility problems at least at first... they might be fixed as we ahven't seen any posts on the forum about OCZ + P5B in a while.

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I don't OC, sorry.
Then youre making my life too easy hehe
Without OCing you wont notice the slight real world performance boost expensive RAM will give you. Go with DDR2 533, youll be matching the stock FSB speed this way.
Sadly enough, also the expensive motherboard would go to waste. Just go for something thats stable and has all the connectors you need.
Spend the money you had reserved for this on the E6600. You will truthly see and improvement this way.

Oh, sorry if I am boring :)
The idea to buy the E6600 saving money by buying cheaper mobo and ram is a good idea. Let me check :

GEIL DDR2-667 1Gb PC2-5300 Value Heat-Spreader CAS5 = 130 euros
DDR2-533 1GB KINGSTONE CL4 = 131 euros
DDR2-667 1GB PC5300 240PIN VDATA = 125 euros

As you can see I can't save money by buying cheaper RAM because 2x 1Gb Corsair = 280 euros. It's not that revolution. Especially if I buy it in USA where it's really half the price.
About mobo.... what's your hint ? AsRock ?
If I want to save money than I should pass from a 965 to a 945 chipset, right ?

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I am going to re-use my old but still in good shape atx case and my 450w psu. I don't OC, sorry....
How many +12V amps does it supply? You may need a new PS, as both CPUs and graphics cards use a lot of +12V power these days.

I'll considered a noob but I can't remember this detail.
I have a simple AMD64 3000 with a geforce 6600gt. My actual psu is powerful enough.
About the future...we'll see. When I decide the exact configuration of my next machine I'll consider the opportunity to put a new and good psu.
Thanks

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

There were compatibility problems at least at first... they might be fixed as we ahven't seen any posts on the forum about OCZ + P5B in a while.

Thanks for the good news.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

The released BIOS had voltages just a little too weak. After this was revised and they shipped them wth new BIOS revisions it was a problem of the past.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
No, keep in the P965 market. But just look for a motherboard that has all the connectors you need, a decent brand (not AsRock), and thats quad-core capable for future upgrades. Dont worry about BIOS tweaking or anyhting like that.
Get the RAM in the states like you had planned, itll be like half price.

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
No, keep in the P965 market. But just look for a motherboard that has all the connectors you need, a decent brand (not AsRock), and thats quad-core capable for future upgrades. Dont worry about BIOS tweaking or anyhting like that.
Get the RAM in the states like you had planned, itll be like half price.

I'll go for a P5B. Another 965 mobo are not any cheaper.