Pocket DVD - on Pocket PC 2000

February 8, 2005 3:53:53 AM

I have a few questions regarding Pocket PC 2000 Video playback and DVD
conversion. I'm unfortuantely still using a Jornada 548 that uses the
PPC 2000 OS. Is there any reasonable chance of my playing conmverted
DVDs on this thing? I have a 1GB CF card so space should not be an
issue. Some of my questions below may also apply for when I get a new
device.

1) What is the best tool to do DVD conversion? I've done some reading
about:

CarryDVD 2.2
Makayama DVD to Pocket PC 2.0
Pocket DVD Wizard
Pocket DVD Studio

I tried Pocket DVD Wizard and liked it, but had some trouble playing the
video on my PPC. (1)The mpg files created by selecting windows ce or ppc
2000 seem to be very large, (2) The wma files created with the ppc 2002 /
2003 option did not work. I only had sound. I tried to upgrade to WMP
7.1 and still only have sound.

Is it possible to play and DVD conversions on a PPC 2000 device? I have
an ancient Jornada 548 and suspect that none of these options will work
for me ;-( What file format will give me the gfreatest chance of
success?

I've tried downloading and using the wm encoder 7 and 9 but have had no
luck getting a combo to work.

I am willing to experiement some more, but would like a hint if it's out
there.

Thanks
John

More about : pocket dvd pocket 2000

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:44:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

rpadev <rpadev@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in

> I have a few questions regarding Pocket PC 2000 Video playback and DVD
> conversion. I'm unfortuantely still using a Jornada 548 that uses the
> PPC 2000 OS. Is there any reasonable chance of my playing conmverted
> DVDs on this thing? I have a 1GB CF card so space should not be an
> issue. Some of my questions below may also apply for when I get a new
> device.
>
> 1) What is the best tool to do DVD conversion? I've done some reading
> about:
>
> CarryDVD 2.2
> Makayama DVD to Pocket PC 2.0
> Pocket DVD Wizard
> Pocket DVD Studio
>
> I tried Pocket DVD Wizard and liked it, but had some trouble playing
> the video on my PPC. (1)The mpg files created by selecting windows ce
> or ppc 2000 seem to be very large, (2) The wma files created with the
> ppc 2002 / 2003 option did not work. I only had sound. I tried to
> upgrade to WMP 7.1 and still only have sound.
>
> Is it possible to play and DVD conversions on a PPC 2000 device? I
> have an ancient Jornada 548 and suspect that none of these options
> will work for me ;-( What file format will give me the gfreatest
> chance of success?
>
> I've tried downloading and using the wm encoder 7 and 9 but have had
> no luck getting a combo to work.
>
> I am willing to experiement some more, but would like a hint if it's
> out there.
>
> Thanks
> John

Just checking back in to see if anyone has any ideas. Is this even worth
persuing? Am I trying to get blood form a stone? Is there any video
format the will play reaosnably well on a Jornada 548?

Thanks,
John
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:16:18 PM

"rpadev" <rpadev@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
> rpadev <rpadev@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in
>
> Just checking back in to see if anyone has any ideas. Is this even worth
> persuing? Am I trying to get blood form a stone? Is there any video
> format the will play reaosnably well on a Jornada 548?

What are you using to play the videos? If you haven't already, try using
Pocket TV or Betaplayer (which is more flexible). Both are free for
personal use IF they have versions that are compatible.

Also, what bitrate, size, etc are you ripping the video to? If you have
some videos that you cannot play on your device try ripping them down a bit
farther to a lower bitrate.

For manipulating the mpeg once you have it into something that your device
can handle, I would suggest something like Tsunami MPEG encorder (tmpgenc).
You may want to try something along the lines of 240x192, around 200k. IF
it plays, you are good to go. If not, tweak the settings down a bit more
and go at it again. But make sure you have a capable player.

A few pointers (shamelessly copied and pasted from another reply I did
earlier), but these really should be considered only a starting point:

For full screen video on pocket PC (320x240), you need about 350k bitrate to
keep it watchable. You can run a high framerate (29.97), but there will be
some motion pixelation on a busy screen. Still, probably watchable. Audio
set for 44100 hz, stereo with 64k bitrate. This will give you around 3
mb/minute, or on a 512 meg card around 160 minutes.

For portrait sized video (240x192) you can squeeze by with a 200k bit
stream. Again, the framerate can be up with a little pixelation but it does
look smooth.. Keep the 44k stereo, and you will produce ~2 mb/minute, or
roughly 250 minutes on your 512m card.

For a compromise (and something that works fairly well on some DVD video) is
a widescreen resolution, which is 320x176. This will work with a bitrate of
260k okay, and keeping the same audio will net about 2.5 mb/minute. Some
older players will not handle this size very well but Pocket TV and
Betaplayer work fine on an Ipaq.

From here you can vary the screen size, framerate and bit stream to find
something that will work for you better, perhaps. At least it should serve
as a starting point. The key thing is bitrate (which really determines file
size) vs frame size and rate. Also you can imagine what increasing the
bitrate does for the quality of a video, but on a SD card the needs vary
based on length of video you need to put on the card. Shorter video,
increase the bitrate.

I haven't even broached the subject of variable bit rate, as well as adding
another pass to allow it to clean up some of the busier screens at the cost
of encoding time. Sometimes VBR will not be conducive to size saving if it
is a busy screen throughout, but used correctly it has potential. VBR does
require more of the player, and if you are not running 2003 and/or 400mhz I
would probalby suggest staying away from this, especially if the space
available works out for you. From here where do you go? - There is a lot of
information out there, and you can check here for good links and
explanations for using Tsunami : www.vcdhelp.com

Good luck.
February 17, 2005 5:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in

> [...]
> imagine what increasing the bitrate does for the quality of a video,
> but on a SD card the needs vary based on length of video you need to
> put on the card. Shorter video, increase the bitrate.
>
> I haven't even broached the subject of variable bit rate, as well as
> adding another pass to allow it to clean up some of the busier screens
> at the cost of encoding time. Sometimes VBR will not be conducive to
> size saving if it is a busy screen throughout, but used correctly it
> has potential. VBR does require more of the player, and if you are
> not running 2003 and/or 400mhz I would probalby suggest staying away
> from this, especially if the space available works out for you. From
> here where do you go? - There is a lot of information out there, and
> you can check here for good links and explanations for using Tsunami :

Thanks for the reply xTen. I will give this a try. I am using BetaPlayer
for the record. I created an mpg using PocketDVDWizard, but it was
unwatchable. I do not know the bitrate or size offhand. I will give it
another try with your advice in mind. Bottom line is that the Jornada 548
has a 133 MHZ CPU so I don't expect much here. What format file woudl I be
best with wmv, mpg, or avi, or are bit rate and size the only gating
factors?

I also installed Windows Media Player 7.1. As I understand it this is the
latest version that can be downloaded and installed. Is this true? Are
there any tools that will create a wmv that this can play? I tried
creating a wmv using PocketDVDWizard and I got only sound. I assume it is
a codec issue and that I probably need WMP 9 or better? I also tried
downloading the Windows Media Encoder version 7, but I couldn;t get it to
work I think because I also had ver 9 installed.

Thanks,
John

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RPA - Raggio Pocket PC Applications

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:00:07 GMT, rpadev <rpadev@nospam.optonline.net>
wrote:

>I also installed Windows Media Player 7.1. As I understand it this is the
>latest version that can be downloaded and installed. Is this true?

I think so for that PPC yes.

>there any tools that will create a wmv that this can play? I tried
>creating a wmv using PocketDVDWizard and I got only sound.

I think the sound codec (WMA9) is backward compatible with WMA7, but
that the video codec (WMV9) requires media player 9. So the sound
could well have worked OK without seeing any video.

>a codec issue and that I probably need WMP 9 or better? I also tried
>downloading the Windows Media Encoder version 7, but I couldn;t get it to
>work I think because I also had ver 9 installed.

You can install WMEncoder 7 even if you have WMPlayer 9 on the PC. But
you're better to get the Encoder 9 anyway. This is because you can set
up a 'encoding profile' (collection of settings) and actually change
the video back to the WMV7 format (or WMV8 format too) which could
well work then.

On my V9 encoder I can also set to encode as ISO MPEG4 video ;-))

You can probably do this on WME7 too but it's been a long time since I
looked at it or had it installed so I can't remember the steps. There
are tutorials out there though which detail how to use a custom
encoding session / profile.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:59:20 PM

> Thanks for the reply xTen. I will give this a try. I am using BetaPlayer
> for the record. I created an mpg using PocketDVDWizard, but it was
> unwatchable. I do not know the bitrate or size offhand. I will give it
> another try with your advice in mind. Bottom line is that the Jornada 548
> has a 133 MHZ CPU so I don't expect much here. What format file woudl I
> be
> best with wmv, mpg, or avi, or are bit rate and size the only gating
> factors?

No, format is definitely a factor, as it deals with the overall codec
efficiency (or lack thereof) and work that needs to be done to decode that
stream.

In my expereience (and ever so humble opinion) mpeg 1 is the easiest to
decode for an older computer and still maintain a somewhat decent file size.
Your Journada should be able to handle a small video on this format, if you
keep the bitrate under 200k (try 150) and small frame size (240x192 or
smaller), keeping the picture a little less pixelated.

If beta player will not work on this device then check to see if PocketTV is
available for that processor - Beta player seems to be more efficient and
would be my first choice, but I have used Pocket TV on older devices before
BetaPlayer was available, and have not went back to verify operation.

Use Tsunami and experiment on the mpeg you have from the DVD conversion, but
you will have to rip that baby down before it will play on that device. But
you should be able to get there fine, and once you have a process in place
it will be fairly simple to batch it in the future.

As for WMV, I do not think that device will have the ponies under the hood
to decompress and run wmv smoothly enough to watch. You got only sound
because it either did not have the codec (likely), or the size was off for
the older player. But I doubt you would have liked it if you did get the
video playing on a WMV. Try ripping down the MPEG, for me this is the only
thing that would work consistently on the older devices (pre 2002, 200 mhz
or less) and keeping it watchable for a givien size.

Good luck.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:50:35 AM

news:o 4K7KLSFFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> rest snipped....

> Good luck.

Thanks for your time. I'll give it a try.

--
RPA - Raggio Pocket PC Applications
www.theraggios.com/rpa
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:16:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia (More info?)

definitely this product - http://www.pocketdvd.ca - it does especially well
with files for older devices.
!