Creating a Startup Disk

I have XP Home.
Is it advisable to have a startup disk? If yes, how do I create one?

bytor

In article <#JT0fuz2EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, casiopie963
@hotmail.com, Ben Stevenson says...

> I have XP Home.
> Is it advisable to have a startup disk? If yes, how do I create one?

I assume an install disk? The CD should also be bootable to basically do
the same thing.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

In news:%23JT0fuz2EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> typed:

>I have XP Home.
> Is it advisable to have a startup disk? If yes, how do I create
> one?

Because the Windows XP Installation CD is bottable, that's
normally your startup disk, and no startup diskette is needed.

Also be aware that if your hard drive is NTFS, a DOS startup
diskette won't be able to see it anyway (at least not without
special third-party software) and will not generally be useful.

Please reply to the newsgroup

That was a good site. But couldn't find the program that would answer my
question. Could you please indicate which one.
Also would you know of any similar site offering diagnostics?
Thanks

"ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
> In article <#JT0fuz2EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, casiopie963
> @hotmail.com, Ben Stevenson says...
>
> > I have XP Home.
> > Is it advisable to have a startup disk? If yes, how do I create one?
> >

> I assume an install disk? The CD should also be bootable to basically do
> the same thing.
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thanks for your response.
Since mine came preinstalled what do I have to look for in the CD to be
sure it
is bootable, bearing in mind that these OEM versions come in all types? Mine
is the NTFS system.

Also, how would I go about using it?
Thanks

In news:O1BgDTN3EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> typed:

> Thanks for your response.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> Since mine came preinstalled what do I have to look for in
> the CD
> to be sure it
> is bootable, bearing in mind that these OEM versions come in
> all
> types?

All XP installations CDs are bootable. To be sure, just try to
boot from it (see below),

> Mine is the NTFS system.

Then, as I said, a boot diskette wouldn't really be of use to
you.

> Also, how would I go about using it?

Make sure your BIOS is set so that the CD is the first boot
device, then put the XP CD in the drive and restart the computer.
It will boot from the CD. But if you're just doing this to see if
it works, be sure to cancel it immediately after booting; don't
actually do anything there.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:%23JT0fuz2EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>> >I have XP Home.
>> > Is it advisable to have a startup disk? If yes, how do I
>> > create
>> > one?
>>

>> Because the Windows XP Installation CD is bottable, that's
>> normally your startup disk, and no startup diskette is needed.
>>
>> Also be aware that if your hard drive is NTFS, a DOS startup
>> diskette won't be able to see it anyway (at least not without
>> special third-party software) and will not generally be
>> useful.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Did a restart with the CD in. Got the msg:
"Welcome to the NEC Recovery Program. (Mine is an NEC computer came
pre-installed with XP Home).
Attention: Please take note that this utility is meant for System Recovery
only. Press OK if you want to continue or Cancel and return to DOS."

Hit cancel and got the DOS prompt. Keyed in exit but nothing happened.
Cntrl+Alt+Del and the computer restarted and back to the same message above.
Hit OK this time and got the messge:
1. Standard System Restore
2. Cancel and return to DOS.

Obviously I don't want to do System Restore, so I quit, same way as above.

Anything else I can do?
TIA

In news:ODGz7Kb3EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> typed:

> Did a restart with the CD in. Got the msg:
> "Welcome to the NEC Recovery Program. (Mine is an NEC computer
> came
> pre-installed with XP Home).
> Attention: Please take note that this utility is meant for
> System
> Recovery only. Press OK if you want to continue or Cancel and
> return
> to DOS."

Unfortunately, you don't have an XP installation CD, just a
recovery CD. Personally, I would never choose to buy a system
that came that way, without a complete generic installation CD.

Bear in mind, however, that with an NTFS drive, a DOS boot
diskette still won't be of any value to you., at least not
without third-party software to let you access the drive. You can
download a free version of NTFSDOS, but that just lets you view
the NTFS drive; you need the paid version to be able to write to
it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Hit cancel and got the DOS prompt. Keyed in exit but nothing
> happened.
> Cntrl+Alt+Del and the computer restarted and back to the same
> message
> above. Hit OK this time and got the messge:
> 1. Standard System Restore
> 2. Cancel and return to DOS.
>
> Obviously I don't want to do System Restore, so I quit, same
> way as
> above.
>
> Anything else I can do?
> TIA

>> In news:O1BgDTN3EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>> > Thanks for your response.
>>

>> You're welcome. Glad to help.
>>

>> > Since mine came preinstalled what do I have to look for in
>> > the CD
>> > to be sure it
>> > is bootable, bearing in mind that these OEM versions come in
>> > all
>> > types?
>>

>> All XP installations CDs are bootable. To be sure, just try to
>> boot from it (see below),
>>

>> > Mine is the NTFS system.
>>

>> Then, as I said, a boot diskette wouldn't really be of use to
>> you.
>>

>> > Also, how would I go about using it?
>>

>> Make sure your BIOS is set so that the CD is the first boot
>> device, then put the XP CD in the drive and restart the
>> computer.
>> It will boot from the CD. But if you're just doing this to see
>> if
>> it works, be sure to cancel it immediately after booting;
>> don't
>> actually do anything there.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>> > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> > message

Thanks for all your help.

I'll talk to the NEC people and see if they will do anything about it. You
think they will? Or is there anything in particular I should negotiate with
them about?