7900GTO - Framerate jumping/stuttering

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Am running an EVGA 7900GTO and am getting stuttering/jumping lag. I've run benchmarks and the same "stuttering" on the display happens, but the benchmark scores don't seem to be adversely affected, they're virtually the same (which is really weird). The stuttering happens consistently, almost every 4-5 seconds.

My gpu temps are good, I updated the drivers, yada, yada. I've tried the card in another computer and it's fine, so it must be some setup on my machine. But I reinstalled the drivers, temps are good, CPU load is acceptable, I've reset the BIOS to stock clocks and volts..........I can't imagine what it is. Weird thing is it happens at consistent intervals, which really makes me wonder.........

Here's an example I caught on Call of Duty 2, since it's almost impossbile to show something that's only evident when moving. Here's 2 screenies, the first one is normal, then 2nd is when it's stuttering. Any ideas what those numbers mean? Are they indicative of a specific problem?

Normal:
shot0002lj4.jpg

Stuttering:
shot0003yv3.jpg

What's with the spread? That's when the fps jumps and makes me lag. I've checked my CPU usage, virtual memory, memory usage, background programs.....nothing's different than the other day.

The only way I've figured to "fix" it (not solve it, more of a workaround), is to cap my framerate at 75 fps. It stays there, and I don't notice any jumping because it's not going above/below the threshold. That still doesn't fix the probem though, just makes it so I don't notice. I'd like to find the root cause.

The reason is that I notice the stuttering in 3DMark05/06, CoD2 timedemo, etc. It's not limited to CoD. That's what concerns me. If it's in 3DMark, then it's a system/gpu issue, not a CoD issue..........:(

lordmattus

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
I have the same problem. I have a new MSI 7900GT and when I play DDO i have a good 50 to 70 FPS but visually i get a studder or lag. Even worse, my monitor will start to "click" like I just changed the refresh rate, and it does that almost exactly every 20 seconds. And eventually I get alot of artifacts and the game and computer will lock up. I also tried Oblivion, and that works ok for about 10 minutes or so then start getting artifacts, then lock up. My GPU temp never goes higher than about 61C. And the CPU hangs around 45C. Its just the big games that does it. Serious Sam 2 which came with the card runs just fine, so does windows and IE.

I did take out my Sound Blaster card and I think most of the drivers which helped stablize a little, but it just gives me about 5 more minutes until it comes crashing down.

I have read that alot of people are having problems with the 7900's, with many people having to RMA. If you find a solution, please post it. Otherwise I am just going to try to get a refund if I can and get an ATI card.
Check out this link and links inside it.
http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58485

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
No.

The other comp I tried the GTO on didn't stutter...which makes me think it's not the card......methinks it's my machine.........the other machine is an AMD X2 3800 and I installed the AMD dual-core optimizer on it. But I didn't know such a thing existed for the C2D.

I will hunt that down this very minute........

[edit: ya....I'm not finding it. I see the AMD dual core Optimizer everywhere, but nada for Intel]

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
also you can go into the task manager and set the task to just one CPU. that should sort some stuttering out for ya.

most games unless patched hate dual core. need for speed - mw died under dual core and HL2 was not a great fan of it.

everyone raves about dual core but hardly any apps gamers use need it. pointless i tell you.

*grumble*

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, an update:

I tried setting it to one cpu and it didn't work. What's weird is that it's not just Call of Duty 2 that's affected.....3DMark 05 and 06 exhibit the same stuttering 8O

I tried the card in an AMD system I'm building, and no stutters. I tried another completely new 7900 GTO card in my system, and it stutters. Temps are fine, etc, etc. So I've proven that it's not the gfx card itself causing the problem, it's something else.

Running 3DMark05, 06, and Call of Duty 2 timedemo...I notice the framerates "stutter", but they stutter/jump consistently, approximately every 4-5 seconds. Weird thing is, all benchmark scores are not adversely affected at all.

Now, I don't know if this is relevant or not, but during the benchmarks, I monitored my CPU usage and I see that it tends to "jump around" a fair bit. I'll closed many background processes.......should I try it in safe mode? So I'm wondering if this would be causing it, if some sort of throttling is causing it, if my virtual memory is a cause, etc, etc. Like I mentioned, the stuttering happens at consistent intervals......but only on my machine, not on the AMD rig.

Is there some sort of C2D optimizer that I need? I can't find one.....just the AMD Optimizer. Am I missing a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel? Do GTOs/GTXs not like Allendales?

The one that can solve this problem gets a cookie LOL. Seriously, I need help. Please!

Much appreciated.

Drkangel

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Did u Try changing it to single cpu/processor within the Bios? .
I have the same problem with Nvidia and my 6800LE
Once I changed it to single it ran fine.
The only way I could fix the problem without changing to single settings was change to a ATI Card, 1600pro I had floating about.
Wish I could find a fix for Nvidia, as I like there cards.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I ran CoD2, set Affinity to 1 CPU and still stuttered. Tried a completely new 7900GTO out of the box and it stuttered......so it's not the card. Disabled Write Combining......still stutters. Tried a new HDD, still stutters.

I simply cannot figure out what would be causing this. I haven't had any problems before with NV.....I did have issues with ATI.....too bad because they have some great pricing on alot of their products........