Windows not recoginizing full capacity

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I recently bought a Seagate ST3320620AS OEM from newegg and built my first computer:
-e6400
-bfg 7600 gt
-2gb OCZ ram
-gigabyte DS3 motherboard
-550 watt psu

I have installed windows and found that it is only recognizing 300 gb instead of the 320 gb that it has.

Is there something I can change so I can use that extra 20 gb?

I know this is a frequently asked question, but I have tried solving the problem on my own and I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks for your patience.

The problem I think you are referring to is the 127 gig barrier you hit without SP1, however if it's seeing 300 gig, that is not your problem.
All large drives will vary a few gig from what they are rated, and depending on how you partition the drive, it will show a slightly different usually lower than rated capacity.
In short, there's nothing wrong.

Mondoman

Splendid
There is no unused capacity. Drive makers define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, while everybody else (including Windows) defines 1GB as 1024x1024x1024 = 1,073,741,824 bytes. If Windows recognizes 300 x 1,073,741,824, that equals 322,122,547,200 bytes, which is 322 GB according to Seagate. Mystery solved.

Bungwa

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
This doesn't really apply to your situation as you are seeing past the 127 g barrier, as JIT stated, but might be good to keep this in mind for later probs. If you don't already know.

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1
4. Quit Registry Editor.
Believe this may be only for win 2k though not sure on XP and up.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ok thanks bungwa. I did run into something different from what you said. there is nothing under the Edit menu that has an Add Value button. there is, however, an option for New as different values. I know the registry is s MAJOR component and want to make sure I am clicking on the correct stuff.

I am sure I am using sp2 on xp. I did run Seatools and it recognized the full 320 gb capacity. I was aware of the difference in definitions of gb between windows and manufacturers. I was unsure though if that was the case..

I did search briefly and did not find a definate answer.

Thank you.

Mondoman

Splendid
... I was aware of the difference in definitions of gb between windows and manufacturers. I was unsure though if that was the case.....
It's a very simple calculation -- next time break out the calculator before the keyboard for a win/win solution all around. :wink:

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
... I was aware of the difference in definitions of gb between windows and manufacturers. I was unsure though if that was the case.....
It's a very simple calculation -- next time break out the calculator before the keyboard for a win/win solution all around. :wink:

LOL, True, i doubt he's gonna need the "extra" 20GB anytime soon. Its a little annoying though, They should just get on the same page.