services in the MMC?

G

Hey everyone, I've had Windows 2000 for about four months now, and I love the stability and performance gains over Win98se, but I just don't get the NT kernel stuff. One question I have is with the services in the MMC (Microsoft Management Console), the thing you get when right-clicking My Computer, and choosing "Manage."
Does anyone know, or know where I can find information, on the services in there? Since I'm not using the machine for a server or whatnot, are there things I can take out or disable that I don't need?
Also, another quick question, does anyone know how to uninstall Accessibility Options? That really doesn't apply to me, or anyone that uses my computer, but there's no option in the Windows Setup of Add/Remove Programs.
Thanks to everyone in advance!

Hindsight is 20-20, and sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken...

G

hey bro,

the mmc is a tool used under windows 2000 to manage nearly all aspects of the pc. so, asking such a general question is hard to answer....i would recommend you pick up an intro book to windows 2000 and brush up on the microsoft management console. But, the basic idea is that it allows you to keep your favorite or most used 'snap-in' (that what they call managment utilities - geez! where'd they get that one?) in one location. to create a custom mmc go to 'start', click 'run' and type in 'mmc'. this will create a blank mmc that you can configure to your liking. to add snap-ins click on the console tab and then 'add new snap-in....when you've added the tools you like, save the custom mmc for later use.

ignore everything i say

G

Check this page for services tweaks.

http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/win2k_services/index.shtml

My advice would be to not change too many things at one time and keep a record of what and when it was changed.

To remove unlisted programs open the file "sysoc.inf" in the winnt\inf folder. Under "old base components" remove all instances of "HIDE,". Don't forget the comma. Save and run add/remove programs and you will be able to remove what you don't need.

G

Thanks a lot. I love how Microsoft finds it useful to "hide" things, even in Windows 2000...