Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel/Dlink Connection Problems

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • Connection
  • D-Link
  • Intel
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:06:25 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I
am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP.
The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP
128 bit security. The authentication is correct.
My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly.
Any suggestions?
--
Dene Charlesworth
denebarry@gmail.com

More about : intel dlink connection problems

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:06:26 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 3-Sep-2005, Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I
> am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP.
> The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP
> 128 bit security. The authentication is correct.
> My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly.
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Dene Charlesworth
> denebarry@gmail.com

What IP address are you receiving from the LG LS50 laptop using the 2200BG
card? Also, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. If it is similar to
169.x.x.x, you need to either reconfigure the card, reboot and/or verify
that all of your settings are correct. If your're stuck in "acquiring IP
address" mode, something is probably misconfigured. My guess is that the WEP
keys are not exactly the same as on the DWL-2100AP. Temporarily disable the
encryption on both the LG LS50 and the DWL-2100AP and see how well you
connect. If all is well, then enable encryption, preferrably WPA-PSK on both
devices. Start off with a simple 7 digit passphrase on both devices and see
how well you connect. If successful, remove the 7 digit passphrase and enter
a long nonsense passphrase on both devices. See example below:

f167r67qeqy9aome63bs1jhy06qxk9cwxkaykamyx3xemo36539tqobxmpfb7ca

Let us know how if your problem is solved or not. Take care.

--
Just Me, D
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:06:26 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I
>am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP.
>The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP
>128 bit security. The authentication is correct.
>My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly.

Sounds like the 128-bit key isn't the same between the machines. Are
you entering a passphrase or a 26-digit hex key? Try using the hex
key, not everyone's passphrase-to-hex algorythm works the same...
Related resources
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:41:31 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:06:25 +1000, Dene Charlesworth
<denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I
>am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP.
>The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP
>128 bit security. The authentication is correct.
>My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly.
>Any suggestions?

Since the DWL-G650 works with the DWL-2100AP+, it's a fair bet that
the DWL-2100AP is working as expected. That leaves the new laptop,
the Intell 2200BG MiniPCI card, or the card driver. My guess(tm) is
the driver is screwed up. Try downloading the latest greatest Proset
from Intel at:
http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200b...

--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:51:17 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:41:31 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

Also, check if you have the latest firmware for the DWL-2100AP
http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DW...

--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:36:16 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Doug Jamal wrote:
> On 3-Sep-2005, Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I
>>am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP.
>>The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP
>>128 bit security. The authentication is correct.
>>My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly.
>>Any suggestions?
>>--
>>Dene Charlesworth
>>denebarry@gmail.com
>
>
> What IP address are you receiving from the LG LS50 laptop using the 2200BG
> card? Also, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. If it is similar to
> 169.x.x.x, you need to either reconfigure the card, reboot and/or verify
> that all of your settings are correct. If your're stuck in "acquiring IP
> address" mode, something is probably misconfigured. My guess is that the WEP
> keys are not exactly the same as on the DWL-2100AP. Temporarily disable the
> encryption on both the LG LS50 and the DWL-2100AP and see how well you
> connect. If all is well, then enable encryption, preferrably WPA-PSK on both
> devices. Start off with a simple 7 digit passphrase on both devices and see
> how well you connect. If successful, remove the 7 digit passphrase and enter
> a long nonsense passphrase on both devices. See example below:
>
> f167r67qeqy9aome63bs1jhy06qxk9cwxkaykamyx3xemo36539tqobxmpfb7ca
>
> Let us know how if your problem is solved or not. Take care.
>
I have the same problem with no encryption at all.
It is set to obtain IP address automatically.
I disabled the Intel 2200BG & installed the G650 from the other laptop &
it worked ok.
If all else fails I might have to buy another G650 but I would really
like to get the intel unit working.

--
Dene Charlesworth
denebarry@gmail.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:36:17 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 3-Sep-2005, Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the same problem with no encryption at all.
> It is set to obtain IP address automatically.
> I disabled the Intel 2200BG & installed the G650 from the other laptop &
> it worked ok.
> If all else fails I might have to buy another G650 but I would really
> like to get the intel unit working.
>
> --
> Dene Charlesworth

Check to see whether or not the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility and
the Intel Pro wireless config. utility are both loaded and trying to control
your wireless card. If they both are, disable the Windows Wireless
Configuration Utility and use the one that's specifically for the card.

--
Just Me, D
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:38:17 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

William P. N. Smith wrote:
> Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I
>>am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP.
>>The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP
>>128 bit security. The authentication is correct.
>>My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly.
>
>
> Sounds like the 128-bit key isn't the same between the machines. Are
> you entering a passphrase or a 26-digit hex key? Try using the hex
> key, not everyone's passphrase-to-hex algorythm works the same...

I use a 26 digit hex key. It is very simple & hard to stuff up.
As I said above I have the same problem with no encryption at all.


--
Dene Charlesworth
denebarry@gmail.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:38:18 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>As I said above I have the same problem with no encryption at all.

Ah, then it's either a driver problem or a hardware problem...
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:41:04 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect.

Does this laptop work wirelessly anywhere else? If the WiFi isn't
disabled via magic keystroke (for airplane use and battery extension)
it might actually be broken...
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:49:47 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Doug Jamal wrote:
> On 3-Sep-2005, Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I have the same problem with no encryption at all.
>>It is set to obtain IP address automatically.
>>I disabled the Intel 2200BG & installed the G650 from the other laptop &
>>it worked ok.
>>If all else fails I might have to buy another G650 but I would really
>>like to get the intel unit working.
>>
>>--
>>Dene Charlesworth
>
>
> Check to see whether or not the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility and
> the Intel Pro wireless config. utility are both loaded and trying to control
> your wireless card. If they both are, disable the Windows Wireless
> Configuration Utility and use the one that's specifically for the card.
>
Tried both seperately, tried a program called IP Loader that came with
the laptop. tried boingo. All failed miserably.
Think I'll admit defeat & buy another G650.
Thanks for trying anyway Doug.

--
Dene Charlesworth
denebarry@gmail.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:49:48 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 4-Sep-2005, Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tried both seperately, tried a program called IP Loader that came with
> the laptop. tried boingo. All failed miserably.
> Think I'll admit defeat & buy another G650.
> Thanks for trying anyway Doug.

You're welcome, Dene. Sorry we couldn't find a solution. You win some and
lose some, right? Anyway, take care.

--
Just Me, D
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:52:53 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:41:31 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
> <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>
> Also, check if you have the latest firmware for the DWL-2100AP
> http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DW...
>
Already tried the 'latest greatest pro/set & the 2100AP has the latest
firmware.
Tried older & newer drivers for the 2200BG but still no good.
Thanks for trying Jeff

Has anyone out there got this combination working??

--
Dene Charlesworth
denebarry@gmail.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:52:54 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:52:53 +1000, Dene Charlesworth
<denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:

>Already tried the 'latest greatest pro/set & the 2100AP has the latest
>firmware.
>Tried older & newer drivers for the 2200BG but still no good.
>Thanks for trying Jeff

Your original description does not describe at what point wireless
connectivity fails. Failure to load driver? Failure to see the
DWL-2100AP? Failure to associate? Failure to connect? Failure to
get DHCP IP's? Failure to surf the internet? A better description of
"won't connect" would be helpful.

1. Does the laptop work with a wired ethernet connection?
2. Does Proset see the 2000BG card?
3. What do the Proset diagnostics and statistics show?
4. Does the LG laptop work with other wireless access points or
wireless routers? Hang it out the window (carefully) and see if "Show
available networks" will find any other access points. If not, drag
it down to wireless hot spot and do some testing. Maybe try
Netstumbler.
5. Look in the Windoze "Event Viewer" for any useful error messages.
The driver load may be failing.
6. Look around the LG laptop for some kind of wireless on/off switch.
There's usually a LED lamp associated with this switch.


>Has anyone out there got this combination working??


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:22:14 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:52:53 +1000, Dene Charlesworth
> <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Already tried the 'latest greatest pro/set & the 2100AP has the latest
>>firmware.
>>Tried older & newer drivers for the 2200BG but still no good.
>>Thanks for trying Jeff
>
>
> Your original description does not describe at what point wireless
> connectivity fails. Failure to load driver? Failure to see the
> DWL-2100AP? Failure to associate? Failure to connect? Failure to
> get DHCP IP's? Failure to surf the internet? A better description of
> "won't connect" would be helpful.
>
> 1. Does the laptop work with a wired ethernet connection?
> 2. Does Proset see the 2000BG card?
> 3. What do the Proset diagnostics and statistics show?
> 4. Does the LG laptop work with other wireless access points or
> wireless routers? Hang it out the window (carefully) and see if "Show
> available networks" will find any other access points. If not, drag
> it down to wireless hot spot and do some testing. Maybe try
> Netstumbler.
> 5. Look in the Windoze "Event Viewer" for any useful error messages.
> The driver load may be failing.
> 6. Look around the LG laptop for some kind of wireless on/off switch.
> There's usually a LED lamp associated with this switch.
>
>
>
>>Has anyone out there got this combination working??
>
>
>
Thanks for trying Jeff.
I bought a Dlink DWL-G630 & am using that. I'll try again later with the BG.

To answer some of your questions.
1. The laptop works perfectly with an ethernet connection. I can surf
the net. access the other computers, etc. I can also do all that with
the G630.
2. Proset sees the BG card.
3. Proset diagnostics show no reportable events.

Failure occurs when trying to connect. After it has found the AP.

I know a little about the basics of this stuff (got an old belkin card
working on this network & also got the G650 & G630 talking to the old
belkin AP) & am inclined to think the 2 are just not compatible.
Again thanks for your efforts.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:24:30 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

William P. N. Smith wrote:
> Dene Charlesworth <denebarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect.
>
>
> Does this laptop work wirelessly anywhere else? If the WiFi isn't
> disabled via magic keystroke (for airplane use and battery extension)
> it might actually be broken...
I've got nowhere else to try it.
It reports as being enabled in device manager & all the various software
programs can see it.
!