Minolta ScanDual IV and Windows XP SP2 problem?

Hello

I have a Minolta ScanDual IV which I have previously used with a four years
old computer with Windows 98SE and USB 1 without having any problems, except
a too small hard drive, too little memory and a too small monitor :-). Now
I have a new computer with lots of memory and hard drive space and USB 2.
And Windows XP, service pack 2. And a problem.

The problem is that I can't make any image corrections when I use the DS
Dual IV stand alone program. There seems to be nothing wrong with the
scanner, it can auto focus, it makes scans and it saves the pictures, but as
soon as I touch the image correction tab the scanner freezes, it doesn't
respond to anything, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the power
supply (and the image correction tab itselt is blank/grey). The strange
thing is that when I tried to scan from another application (Irfanview, with
"select TWAIN source" and "acquire") I could make image corrections.
Theoretically I could use the scanner this way, but it would take an awful
lot of time to make scans since the scan utility then has to start up
between every scan.

Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
suggestions how to solve it?

Ulla
9 answers Last reply
More about minolta scandual windows problem

    "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a Minolta ScanDual IV which I have previously used with a four
    > years old computer with Windows 98SE and USB 1 without having any
    > problems, except a too small hard drive, too little memory and a too small
    > monitor :-). Now I have a new computer with lots of memory and hard drive
    > space and USB 2. And Windows XP, service pack 2. And a problem.
    >
    > The problem is that I can't make any image corrections when I use the DS
    > Dual IV stand alone program. There seems to be nothing wrong with the
    > scanner, it can auto focus, it makes scans and it saves the pictures, but
    > as soon as I touch the image correction tab the scanner freezes, it
    > doesn't respond to anything, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect
    > the power supply (and the image correction tab itselt is blank/grey). The
    > strange thing is that when I tried to scan from another application
    > (Irfanview, with "select TWAIN source" and "acquire") I could make image
    > corrections. Theoretically I could use the scanner this way, but it would
    > take an awful lot of time to make scans since the scan utility then has to
    > start up between every scan.

    In Irfanview After the Twain Source is selected, you do not have to do that
    again until you change the Twain Source (Scan from another scanner or
    camera).

    If you use Batch Scanning (below Acquire) Irfanview will acquire the image,
    name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
    define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue until
    you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without stopping,
    using the Batch Scanning.

    > Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
    > suggestions how to solve it?
    >
    > Ulla

    For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner software
    on the Minolta Support site.
    http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_SupportCenter/Support_Software
    Select category Scanners
    Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
    Select Windows XP.
    There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.

    Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your problems
    with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Hello and thank you for your answer

    When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
    scan, it works but it takes a long time. I did not have to choose Twain
    source again, thats true. I did not try batch scan, but I will give it a
    try. Unfortunately I already have the 1.0.1 version of the software so that
    will not solve the problem.

    Ulla

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have a Minolta ScanDual IV which I have previously used with a four
    >> years old computer with Windows 98SE and USB 1 without having any
    >> problems, except a too small hard drive, too little memory and a too
    >> small
    >> monitor :-). Now I have a new computer with lots of memory and hard
    >> drive
    >> space and USB 2. And Windows XP, service pack 2. And a problem.
    >>
    >> The problem is that I can't make any image corrections when I use the DS
    >> Dual IV stand alone program. There seems to be nothing wrong with the
    >> scanner, it can auto focus, it makes scans and it saves the pictures, but
    >> as soon as I touch the image correction tab the scanner freezes, it
    >> doesn't respond to anything, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect
    >> the power supply (and the image correction tab itselt is blank/grey). The
    >> strange thing is that when I tried to scan from another application
    >> (Irfanview, with "select TWAIN source" and "acquire") I could make image
    >> corrections. Theoretically I could use the scanner this way, but it would
    >> take an awful lot of time to make scans since the scan utility then has
    >> start up between every scan.
    >
    > In Irfanview After the Twain Source is selected, you do not have to do
    > that
    > again until you change the Twain Source (Scan from another scanner or
    > camera).
    >
    > If you use Batch Scanning (below Acquire) Irfanview will acquire the
    > image,
    > name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
    > define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue until
    > you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without stopping,
    > using the Batch Scanning.
    >

    >> Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
    >> suggestions how to solve it?
    >>
    >> Ulla
    >>

    > For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner
    > software on the Minolta Support site.
    > http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_SupportCenter/Support_Software
    > Select category Scanners
    > Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
    > Select Windows XP.
    > There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.
    >
    > Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your
    > problems with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
    problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer then
    re-install the software.

    The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the software is
    installed.

    That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
    perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    > Hello and thank you for your answer
    >
    > When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
    > scan, it works but it takes a long time.

    There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
    every scan.
    Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after aquire".

> [...]
    >> name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
    >> define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue
    >> until you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without
    >> stopping, using the Batch Scanning.
    >>

    >>> Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
    >>> suggestions how to solve it?
    >>>
    >>> Ulla
    >>>

    >> For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner
    >> software on the Minolta Support site.
    >> http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_SupportCenter/Support_Software
    >> Select category Scanners
    >> Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
    >> Select Windows XP.
    >> There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.
    >>
    >> Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your
    >> problems with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I have
    removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
    Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as win98
    and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
    I'll settle with that.

    Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
    noticed that myself.

    > Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
    > problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer then
    > re-install the software.
    >
    > The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the software
    > is installed.
    >
    > That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
    > perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
    >
    > "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
    >> Hello and thank you for your answer
    >>
    >> When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
    >> scan, it works but it takes a long time.
    >
    > There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
    > every scan.
    > Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after
    > aquire".
    >
    >>I did not have to choose Twain source again, thats true. I did not try
    >>batch scan, but I will give it a try. Unfortunately I already have the
    >>1.0.1 version of the software so that will not solve the problem.
    >>
    >> Ulla
    >>

    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >>>
    >>> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message

    >>> In Irfanview After the Twain Source is selected, you do not have to do
    >>> that
    >>> again until you change the Twain Source (Scan from another scanner or
    >>> camera).
    >>>
    >>> If you use Batch Scanning (below Acquire) Irfanview will acquire the
    >>> image,
    >>> name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
    >>> define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue
    >>> until you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without
    >>> stopping, using the Batch Scanning.

    >>> For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner
    >>> software on the Minolta Support site.
    >>> http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_SupportCenter/Support_Software
    >>> Select category Scanners
    >>> Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
    >>> Select Windows XP.
    >>> There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.
    >>>
    >>> Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your
    >>> problems with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> CSM1
    >>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>> --

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    You must had some conflict going on in your computer. Because I am using
    Windows XP home SP2. Minolta Scandual 4 software Version 1.01. There are no
    tabs in my DiMAGE Scan Dual4 Utility that do not work. Some tabs and/or
    buttons are grayed out when doing B&W (Color adjustments).

    Did you give the scanner and computer enough time to process all of the
    enhancements that you may have applied.
    It takes my scanner a lot less time to preview or final scan when no
    enhancements or on.

    When I use image corrections, the scanner seems to start a scan then stops
    (it seems frozen) with the scanning window on screen and the led blinking.
    After a few minutes, the image transfer happens and the scanner continues
    and completes.

    Manual reset of the scanner is Shift+Control+I when the Scan Utility or
    TWAIN in on screen.
    Eject the film holder and close the door. Press Shift and Control at the
    same time then press I while holding Shift and Control.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    >I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I have
    >removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
    >Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as win98
    >and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
    >I'll settle with that.
    >
    > Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
    > noticed that myself.
    >
    > Ulla
    >
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
    >> problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer
    >> then re-install the software.
    >>
    >> The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the software
    >> is installed.
    >>
    >> That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
    >> perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
    >>> Hello and thank you for your answer
    >>>
    >>> When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
    >>> scan, it works but it takes a long time.
    >>
    >> There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
    >> every scan.
    >> Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after
    >> aquire".
    >>
    >>>I did not have to choose Twain source again, thats true. I did not try
    >>>batch scan, but I will give it a try. Unfortunately I already have the
    >>>1.0.1 version of the software so that will not solve the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Ulla
    >>>

    >>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I don't even get a chance to apply any enhancements, as soon as I click on
    the image correction tab the scanner freezes. The image correction screen
    with the preview never shows, it is just grey.

    There doesn't seem to be any conflicts, no yellow question marks in the
    device manager, and if I right click and look at properties it says that
    the device is working correctly. And if I look in the control panel and
    click on the "test scanner or camera"-button it also seems to be OK.

    I use XP professional edition SP2, maybe there is a difference between home
    and professinal, but I find that unlikely. Anyway, I have written to
    KonicaMinolta's support and am now waiting for their answer.

    > You must had some conflict going on in your computer. Because I am using
    > Windows XP home SP2. Minolta Scandual 4 software Version 1.01. There are
    > no
    > tabs in my DiMAGE Scan Dual4 Utility that do not work. Some tabs and/or
    > buttons are grayed out when doing B&W (Color adjustments).
    >
    > Did you give the scanner and computer enough time to process all of the
    > enhancements that you may have applied.
    > It takes my scanner a lot less time to preview or final scan when no
    > enhancements or on.
    >
    > When I use image corrections, the scanner seems to start a scan then stops
    > (it seems frozen) with the scanning window on screen and the led blinking.
    > After a few minutes, the image transfer happens and the scanner continues
    > and completes.
    >
    > Manual reset of the scanner is Shift+Control+I when the Scan Utility or
    > TWAIN in on screen.
    > Eject the film holder and close the door. Press Shift and Control at the
    > same time then press I while holding Shift and Control.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
    >
    > "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
    >>I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I have
    >>removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
    >>Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as win98
    >>and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
    >>I'll settle with that.
    >>
    >> Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
    >> noticed that myself.
    >>
    >> Ulla
    >>
    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >>> Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
    >>> problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer
    >>> then re-install the software.
    >>>
    >>> The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the
    >>> software
    >>> is installed.
    >>>
    >>> That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
    >>> perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> CSM1
    >>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message

    >>> There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
    >>> every scan.
    >>> Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after
    >>> aquire".

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    What about the condition of your USB ports and drivers? What is the
    condition of the TWAIN system in Windows.

    USB can cause communication problems with sending commands to the Scanner.
    If you have a VIA chip set in your computer, there are known problems with
    Windows XP and USB.

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=USB+Windows+XP

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=b&na=82&qu=VIA+CHIPSET+Windows+XP

    The basic cure is to delete the USB controllers in Windows Device Manager
    and then running Windows Update. SP2 has its own USB drivers and will
    install after deleting in Device Manager and refreshing or rebooting.

    %SystemRoot%= The Root folder where Windows XP is installed.
    On single boot systems it is C:\WINDOWS

    I have also found that if the TWAIN files in %SystemRoot% are not the
    correct verisons, Dimage ScanDual IV does not work correctly. These can be
    replaced (and screwed up) by other TWAIN driver installs.
    The parts are(Right click, Properties, Version tab):
    twain.dll Version 1.7.0.0
    twunk_16.exe Version 1.7.0.0
    twain_32.dll Version 1.7.1.0
    twunk_32.exe Version 1.7.1.0

    All of these files work together, so if one is not the correct version, the
    TWAIN system does not work correctly.

    %SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.

    These entries are what Twain.log contains when everything is working and no
    errors.
    TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::AppInitialize - Reset Log
    TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::OpenServer - Starting Thunker
    TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Startup Complete To
    Twain

    Twain.log is cleared and created each time the Twain system is used. The log
    always shows the last attempt.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    >I don't even get a chance to apply any enhancements, as soon as I click on
    >the image correction tab the scanner freezes. The image correction screen
    >with the preview never shows, it is just grey.
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be any conflicts, no yellow question marks in the
    > device manager, and if I right click and look at properties it says that
    > the device is working correctly. And if I look in the control panel and
    > click on the "test scanner or camera"-button it also seems to be OK.
    >
    > I use XP professional edition SP2, maybe there is a difference between
    > home and professinal, but I find that unlikely. Anyway, I have written to
    > KonicaMinolta's support and am now waiting for their answer.
    >
    > Ulla
    >
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> You must had some conflict going on in your computer. Because I am using
    >> Windows XP home SP2. Minolta Scandual 4 software Version 1.01. There are
    >> no
    >> tabs in my DiMAGE Scan Dual4 Utility that do not work. Some tabs and/or
    >> buttons are grayed out when doing B&W (Color adjustments).
    >>
    >> Did you give the scanner and computer enough time to process all of the
    >> enhancements that you may have applied.
    >> It takes my scanner a lot less time to preview or final scan when no
    >> enhancements or on.
    >>
    >> When I use image corrections, the scanner seems to start a scan then
    >> stops (it seems frozen) with the scanning window on screen and the led
    >> blinking. After a few minutes, the image transfer happens and the scanner
    >> continues and completes.
    >>
    >> Manual reset of the scanner is Shift+Control+I when the Scan Utility or
    >> TWAIN in on screen.
    >> Eject the film holder and close the door. Press Shift and Control at the
    >> same time then press I while holding Shift and Control.
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
    >>>I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I
    >>>have
    >>>removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
    >>>Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as
    >>>win98
    >>>and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
    >>>I'll settle with that.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
    >>> noticed that myself.
    >>>
    >>> Ulla
    >>>
    >>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Hello

    Sorry I haven't answered before, but your last reply never showed up
    in my news reader, I just saw it when I made a search on Google
    groups.

    I really appreciate your efforts to help me, but this is beginning to
    get very technical. I am just an ordinary end user, I don't even know
    what a VIA chip set is.

    Anyway, I checked the version of the files you pointed out and the
    only difference I found (if it indeed is a difference)was in the
    twain_32.dll where the file version is 1.7.1.1 and the product version
    is 1.7.1.0. I don't know if this means anything to you, it is greek to
    me.

    I could not find any log file. As you said a new log file is created
    for every new scan, I made a scan with Irfanview and searched for the
    log file again but did not find anything. I then made a scan with the
    stand alone software. The image corrections I had made when I made the
    first scan was then still applied (I did not attempt to touch the
    image correction tab), the scanning went OK and the scanned image was
    saved, but then the scanner (or the program) crashed. No logfile was
    created and I was frustrated and disconnected the scanner from the
    computer and the power supply.

    I did not install the software in the default folder, program, but in
    another folder named program2. One theory I have is that there is a
    bug in the software so that even though the software is installed in
    program2\DS_Dual4 the program itself searches for something in
    program\DS_Dual4, which does not exist.

    The only advice I have got so far from KonicaMinolta's technical
    support is to disconnect all other USB devices (which I have tried and
    it did not help at all) and to update the chipset driver. Updating the
    chipset driver is something I am very reluctant to do as long as
    everything else is working properly. Who knows what other problems I
    might get then? I have also thought about updating the USB driver as
    you suggest, but I have not tried that yet.

    Somehow, since everything works when I'm scanning from Irfanview, I
    find it hard to believe that it should be a chipset- or USB related
    problem.

    I also found two postings on microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware from
    people who had used this scanner with Windows XP, and when they
    installed SP2 it stopped working. They did not have exactly the same
    problem as I have, but still, they had problems only after SP2 was
    installed. I have written to KonicaMinolta's technical support again
    and also forwarded their postings.

    Ulla

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message news:<9U6hd.7338$bP2.834@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>...
    > What about the condition of your USB ports and drivers? What is the
    > condition of the TWAIN system in Windows.
    >
    > USB can cause communication problems with sending commands to the Scanner.
    > If you have a VIA chip set in your computer, there are known problems with
    > Windows XP and USB.
    >
    > http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=USB+Windows+XP
    >
    > http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=b&na=82&qu=VIA+CHIPSET+Windows+XP
    >
    > The basic cure is to delete the USB controllers in Windows Device Manager
    > and then running Windows Update. SP2 has its own USB drivers and will
    > install after deleting in Device Manager and refreshing or rebooting.
    >
    > %SystemRoot%= The Root folder where Windows XP is installed.
    > On single boot systems it is C:\WINDOWS
    >
    > I have also found that if the TWAIN files in %SystemRoot% are not the
    > correct verisons, Dimage ScanDual IV does not work correctly. These can be
    > replaced (and screwed up) by other TWAIN driver installs.
    > The parts are(Right click, Properties, Version tab):
    > twain.dll Version 1.7.0.0
    > twunk_16.exe Version 1.7.0.0
    > twain_32.dll Version 1.7.1.0
    > twunk_32.exe Version 1.7.1.0
    >
    > All of these files work together, so if one is not the correct version, the
    > TWAIN system does not work correctly.
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.
    >
    > These entries are what Twain.log contains when everything is working and no
    > errors.
    > TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::AppInitialize - Reset Log
    > TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::OpenServer - Starting Thunker
    > TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Startup Complete To
    > Twain
    >
    > Twain.log is cleared and created each time the Twain system is used. The log
    > always shows the last attempt.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Use Windows Explorer to open C:\Windows\Twain.log. Double click and Notepad
    will open with the text. Twain.log is a plain text file.

    >%SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.

    %SystemRoot%= C:\Windows on most systems. That means the TWAIN.LOG is in
    the Windows folder.

    The search tool in Windows is found at Start>Search. You may have to check
    the advanced setting to scan the Windows XP system folders.

    If everything is working when you use Irfanview to scan with the Scandual4,
    then the TWAIN interface and USB is working OK.

    That means that the problem lies with the stand alone Utility. If it is not
    installed correctly, then remove it and install Minolta ScanDual Software
    with all the default settings.

    Some replies in body.
    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    "Ulla" <ullasgallery@chello.se> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > Sorry I haven't answered before, but your last reply never showed up
    > in my news reader, I just saw it when I made a search on Google
    > groups.
    >
    > I really appreciate your efforts to help me, but this is beginning to
    > get very technical. I am just an ordinary end user, I don't even know
    > what a VIA chip set is.

    VIA is a manufacturer of the chipset that controls the data from the CPU to
    memory, USB, and the rest of the computer.

> [...]
    > > The parts are(Right click, Properties, Version tab):
    > > twain.dll Version 1.7.0.0
    > > twunk_16.exe Version 1.7.0.0
    > > twain_32.dll Version 1.7.1.0
    > > twunk_32.exe Version 1.7.1.0
    > >
    > > All of these files work together, so if one is not the correct version,
    the
    > > TWAIN system does not work correctly.
    > >
    > > %SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.
    > >
    > > These entries are what Twain.log contains when everything is working and
    no
    > > errors.
    > > TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::AppInitialize - Reset Log
    > > TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::OpenServer - Starting Thunker
    > > TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Startup Complete To
    > > Twain
    > >
    > > Twain.log is cleared and created each time the Twain system is used. The

Scanners Windows XP Peripherals