Minolta ScanDual IV and Windows XP SP2 problem?

Tags:
  • Scanners
  • Windows XP
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 28, 2004 1:51:21 AM

Hello

I have a Minolta ScanDual IV which I have previously used with a four years
old computer with Windows 98SE and USB 1 without having any problems, except
a too small hard drive, too little memory and a too small monitor :-). Now
I have a new computer with lots of memory and hard drive space and USB 2.
And Windows XP, service pack 2. And a problem.

The problem is that I can't make any image corrections when I use the DS
Dual IV stand alone program. There seems to be nothing wrong with the
scanner, it can auto focus, it makes scans and it saves the pictures, but as
soon as I touch the image correction tab the scanner freezes, it doesn't
respond to anything, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the power
supply (and the image correction tab itselt is blank/grey). The strange
thing is that when I tried to scan from another application (Irfanview, with
"select TWAIN source" and "acquire") I could make image corrections.
Theoretically I could use the scanner this way, but it would take an awful
lot of time to make scans since the scan utility then has to start up
between every scan.

Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
suggestions how to solve it?

Ulla

More about : minolta scandual windows sp2 problem

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 1:51:22 AM

"Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have a Minolta ScanDual IV which I have previously used with a four
> years old computer with Windows 98SE and USB 1 without having any
> problems, except a too small hard drive, too little memory and a too small
> monitor :-). Now I have a new computer with lots of memory and hard drive
> space and USB 2. And Windows XP, service pack 2. And a problem.
>
> The problem is that I can't make any image corrections when I use the DS
> Dual IV stand alone program. There seems to be nothing wrong with the
> scanner, it can auto focus, it makes scans and it saves the pictures, but
> as soon as I touch the image correction tab the scanner freezes, it
> doesn't respond to anything, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect
> the power supply (and the image correction tab itselt is blank/grey). The
> strange thing is that when I tried to scan from another application
> (Irfanview, with "select TWAIN source" and "acquire") I could make image
> corrections. Theoretically I could use the scanner this way, but it would
> take an awful lot of time to make scans since the scan utility then has to
> start up between every scan.

In Irfanview After the Twain Source is selected, you do not have to do that
again until you change the Twain Source (Scan from another scanner or
camera).

If you use Batch Scanning (below Acquire) Irfanview will acquire the image,
name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue until
you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without stopping,
using the Batch Scanning.

> Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
> suggestions how to solve it?
>
> Ulla

For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner software
on the Minolta Support site.
http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...
Select category Scanners
Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
Select Windows XP.
There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.

Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your problems
with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Hello and thank you for your answer

When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
scan, it works but it takes a long time. I did not have to choose Twain
source again, thats true. I did not try batch scan, but I will give it a
try. Unfortunately I already have the 1.0.1 version of the software so that
will not solve the problem.

Ulla

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet

> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a Minolta ScanDual IV which I have previously used with a four
>> years old computer with Windows 98SE and USB 1 without having any
>> problems, except a too small hard drive, too little memory and a too
>> small
>> monitor :-). Now I have a new computer with lots of memory and hard
>> drive
>> space and USB 2. And Windows XP, service pack 2. And a problem.
>>
>> The problem is that I can't make any image corrections when I use the DS
>> Dual IV stand alone program. There seems to be nothing wrong with the
>> scanner, it can auto focus, it makes scans and it saves the pictures, but
>> as soon as I touch the image correction tab the scanner freezes, it
>> doesn't respond to anything, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect
>> the power supply (and the image correction tab itselt is blank/grey). The
>> strange thing is that when I tried to scan from another application
>> (Irfanview, with "select TWAIN source" and "acquire") I could make image
>> corrections. Theoretically I could use the scanner this way, but it would
>> take an awful lot of time to make scans since the scan utility then has
>> start up between every scan.
>
> In Irfanview After the Twain Source is selected, you do not have to do
> that
> again until you change the Twain Source (Scan from another scanner or
> camera).
>
> If you use Batch Scanning (below Acquire) Irfanview will acquire the
> image,
> name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
> define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue until
> you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without stopping,
> using the Batch Scanning.
>

>> Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
>> suggestions how to solve it?
>>
>> Ulla
>>

> For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner
> software on the Minolta Support site.
> http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...
> Select category Scanners
> Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
> Select Windows XP.
> There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.
>
> Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your
> problems with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

October 29, 2004 1:04:23 AM

Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer then
re-install the software.

The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the software is
installed.

That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> Hello and thank you for your answer
>
> When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
> scan, it works but it takes a long time.

There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
every scan.
Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after aquire".

> [...]
>> image,
>> name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
>> define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue
>> until you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without
>> stopping, using the Batch Scanning.
>>

>>> Is there anybody else who has experienced the same problem or has any
>>> suggestions how to solve it?
>>>
>>> Ulla
>>>

>> For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner
>> software on the Minolta Support site.
>> http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...
>> Select category Scanners
>> Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
>> Select Windows XP.
>> There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.
>>
>> Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your
>> problems with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 7:34:29 PM

I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I have
removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as win98
and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
I'll settle with that.

Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
noticed that myself.

> Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
> problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer then
> re-install the software.
>
> The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the software
> is installed.
>
> That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
> perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
>
> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
>> Hello and thank you for your answer
>>
>> When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
>> scan, it works but it takes a long time.
>
> There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
> every scan.
> Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after
> aquire".
>
>>I did not have to choose Twain source again, thats true. I did not try
>>batch scan, but I will give it a try. Unfortunately I already have the
>>1.0.1 version of the software so that will not solve the problem.
>>
>> Ulla
>>

>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>>
>>> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message

>>> In Irfanview After the Twain Source is selected, you do not have to do
>>> that
>>> again until you change the Twain Source (Scan from another scanner or
>>> camera).
>>>
>>> If you use Batch Scanning (below Acquire) Irfanview will acquire the
>>> image,
>>> name the file (with the pattern you define) and save in the folder you
>>> define and serial number (frame number) each image and will continue
>>> until you close the TWAIN source. I have scanned 20-36 images without
>>> stopping, using the Batch Scanning.

>>> For Scan Dual 4 there is a newer version (Ver 1.0.1) of the Scanner
>>> software on the Minolta Support site.
>>> http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/c...
>>> Select category Scanners
>>> Select Model Minolta Scan Dual IV
>>> Select Windows XP.
>>> There are three parts to the software to be downloaded.
>>>
>>> Remove and update the Scanner Software and most if not all of your
>>> problems with the ScanDual IV scanner will go away.
>>>
>>> --
>>> CSM1
>>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>>> --

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 9:51:57 PM

You must had some conflict going on in your computer. Because I am using
Windows XP home SP2. Minolta Scandual 4 software Version 1.01. There are no
tabs in my DiMAGE Scan Dual4 Utility that do not work. Some tabs and/or
buttons are grayed out when doing B&W (Color adjustments).

Did you give the scanner and computer enough time to process all of the
enhancements that you may have applied.
It takes my scanner a lot less time to preview or final scan when no
enhancements or on.

When I use image corrections, the scanner seems to start a scan then stops
(it seems frozen) with the scanning window on screen and the led blinking.
After a few minutes, the image transfer happens and the scanner continues
and completes.

Manual reset of the scanner is Shift+Control+I when the Scan Utility or
TWAIN in on screen.
Eject the film holder and close the door. Press Shift and Control at the
same time then press I while holding Shift and Control.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

>I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I have
>removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
>Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as win98
>and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
>I'll settle with that.
>
> Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
> noticed that myself.
>
> Ulla
>
> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
>> problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer
>> then re-install the software.
>>
>> The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the software
>> is installed.
>>
>> That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
>> perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --
>>
>> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
>>> Hello and thank you for your answer
>>>
>>> When I tried to scan with Irfanview the scan utility closed after every
>>> scan, it works but it takes a long time.
>>
>> There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
>> every scan.
>> Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after
>> aquire".
>>
>>>I did not have to choose Twain source again, thats true. I did not try
>>>batch scan, but I will give it a try. Unfortunately I already have the
>>>1.0.1 version of the software so that will not solve the problem.
>>>
>>> Ulla
>>>

>>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 3:24:45 PM

I don't even get a chance to apply any enhancements, as soon as I click on
the image correction tab the scanner freezes. The image correction screen
with the preview never shows, it is just grey.

There doesn't seem to be any conflicts, no yellow question marks in the
device manager, and if I right click and look at properties it says that
the device is working correctly. And if I look in the control panel and
click on the "test scanner or camera"-button it also seems to be OK.

I use XP professional edition SP2, maybe there is a difference between home
and professinal, but I find that unlikely. Anyway, I have written to
KonicaMinolta's support and am now waiting for their answer.

> You must had some conflict going on in your computer. Because I am using
> Windows XP home SP2. Minolta Scandual 4 software Version 1.01. There are
> no
> tabs in my DiMAGE Scan Dual4 Utility that do not work. Some tabs and/or
> buttons are grayed out when doing B&W (Color adjustments).
>
> Did you give the scanner and computer enough time to process all of the
> enhancements that you may have applied.
> It takes my scanner a lot less time to preview or final scan when no
> enhancements or on.
>
> When I use image corrections, the scanner seems to start a scan then stops
> (it seems frozen) with the scanning window on screen and the led blinking.
> After a few minutes, the image transfer happens and the scanner continues
> and completes.
>
> Manual reset of the scanner is Shift+Control+I when the Scan Utility or
> TWAIN in on screen.
> Eject the film holder and close the door. Press Shift and Control at the
> same time then press I while holding Shift and Control.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
>
> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
>>I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I have
>>removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
>>Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as win98
>>and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
>>I'll settle with that.
>>
>> Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
>> noticed that myself.
>>
>> Ulla
>>
>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>> Even though you have Ver 1.0.1 of the Scanner software. To solve your
>>> problems, you should remove the Scandual IV software. Reboot computer
>>> then re-install the software.
>>>
>>> The Minolta Scandual IV must be dis-connected and off before the
>>> software
>>> is installed.
>>>
>>> That will often solve any problem with the software. Computers are not
>>> perfect data gets corrupted just by file problems on the hard disk.
>>>
>>> --
>>> CSM1
>>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>>> --
>>>
>>> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message

>>> There is an option in Irfanview that stops the TWAIN from closing after
>>> every scan.
>>> Options>Properties. "Misc. 1" tab Uncheck "Close TWAIN dialog after
>>> aquire".

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 5:45:25 PM

What about the condition of your USB ports and drivers? What is the
condition of the TWAIN system in Windows.

USB can cause communication problems with sending commands to the Scanner.
If you have a VIA chip set in your computer, there are known problems with
Windows XP and USB.

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na...

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en...

The basic cure is to delete the USB controllers in Windows Device Manager
and then running Windows Update. SP2 has its own USB drivers and will
install after deleting in Device Manager and refreshing or rebooting.

%SystemRoot%= The Root folder where Windows XP is installed.
On single boot systems it is C:\WINDOWS

I have also found that if the TWAIN files in %SystemRoot% are not the
correct verisons, Dimage ScanDual IV does not work correctly. These can be
replaced (and screwed up) by other TWAIN driver installs.
The parts are(Right click, Properties, Version tab):
twain.dll Version 1.7.0.0
twunk_16.exe Version 1.7.0.0
twain_32.dll Version 1.7.1.0
twunk_32.exe Version 1.7.1.0

All of these files work together, so if one is not the correct version, the
TWAIN system does not work correctly.

%SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.

These entries are what Twain.log contains when everything is working and no
errors.
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::AppInitialize - Reset Log
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::o penServer - Starting Thunker
TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Startup Complete To
Twain

Twain.log is cleared and created each time the Twain system is used. The log
always shows the last attempt.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

>I don't even get a chance to apply any enhancements, as soon as I click on
>the image correction tab the scanner freezes. The image correction screen
>with the preview never shows, it is just grey.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any conflicts, no yellow question marks in the
> device manager, and if I right click and look at properties it says that
> the device is working correctly. And if I look in the control panel and
> click on the "test scanner or camera"-button it also seems to be OK.
>
> I use XP professional edition SP2, maybe there is a difference between
> home and professinal, but I find that unlikely. Anyway, I have written to
> KonicaMinolta's support and am now waiting for their answer.
>
> Ulla
>
> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> You must had some conflict going on in your computer. Because I am using
>> Windows XP home SP2. Minolta Scandual 4 software Version 1.01. There are
>> no
>> tabs in my DiMAGE Scan Dual4 Utility that do not work. Some tabs and/or
>> buttons are grayed out when doing B&W (Color adjustments).
>>
>> Did you give the scanner and computer enough time to process all of the
>> enhancements that you may have applied.
>> It takes my scanner a lot less time to preview or final scan when no
>> enhancements or on.
>>
>> When I use image corrections, the scanner seems to start a scan then
>> stops (it seems frozen) with the scanning window on screen and the led
>> blinking. After a few minutes, the image transfer happens and the scanner
>> continues and completes.
>>
>> Manual reset of the scanner is Shift+Control+I when the Scan Utility or
>> TWAIN in on screen.
>> Eject the film holder and close the door. Press Shift and Control at the
>> same time then press I while holding Shift and Control.
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --
>>
>> "Ulla" <ulla.rosenius.remove.this@chello.se> wrote in message
>>>I have installed, removed and re-installed three or four times now, I
>>>have
>>>removed all other USB-devices and I have tried to run the software with
>>>Windows compability utility (or whatever it is called in english) as
>>>win98
>>>and it just doesn't work. It works fine with Irfanview though, so I think
>>>I'll settle with that.
>>>
>>> Thank you for telling me about the "close TWAIN dialog"-option, I hadn't
>>> noticed that myself.
>>>
>>> Ulla
>>>
>>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> skrev i meddelandet

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 7:05:19 AM

Hello

Sorry I haven't answered before, but your last reply never showed up
in my news reader, I just saw it when I made a search on Google
groups.

I really appreciate your efforts to help me, but this is beginning to
get very technical. I am just an ordinary end user, I don't even know
what a VIA chip set is.

Anyway, I checked the version of the files you pointed out and the
only difference I found (if it indeed is a difference)was in the
twain_32.dll where the file version is 1.7.1.1 and the product version
is 1.7.1.0. I don't know if this means anything to you, it is greek to
me.

I could not find any log file. As you said a new log file is created
for every new scan, I made a scan with Irfanview and searched for the
log file again but did not find anything. I then made a scan with the
stand alone software. The image corrections I had made when I made the
first scan was then still applied (I did not attempt to touch the
image correction tab), the scanning went OK and the scanned image was
saved, but then the scanner (or the program) crashed. No logfile was
created and I was frustrated and disconnected the scanner from the
computer and the power supply.

I did not install the software in the default folder, program, but in
another folder named program2. One theory I have is that there is a
bug in the software so that even though the software is installed in
program2\DS_Dual4 the program itself searches for something in
program\DS_Dual4, which does not exist.

The only advice I have got so far from KonicaMinolta's technical
support is to disconnect all other USB devices (which I have tried and
it did not help at all) and to update the chipset driver. Updating the
chipset driver is something I am very reluctant to do as long as
everything else is working properly. Who knows what other problems I
might get then? I have also thought about updating the USB driver as
you suggest, but I have not tried that yet.

Somehow, since everything works when I'm scanning from Irfanview, I
find it hard to believe that it should be a chipset- or USB related
problem.

I also found two postings on microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware from
people who had used this scanner with Windows XP, and when they
installed SP2 it stopped working. They did not have exactly the same
problem as I have, but still, they had problems only after SP2 was
installed. I have written to KonicaMinolta's technical support again
and also forwarded their postings.

Ulla

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message news:<9U6hd.7338$bP2.834@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>...
> What about the condition of your USB ports and drivers? What is the
> condition of the TWAIN system in Windows.
>
> USB can cause communication problems with sending commands to the Scanner.
> If you have a VIA chip set in your computer, there are known problems with
> Windows XP and USB.
>
> http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na...
>
> http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en...
>
> The basic cure is to delete the USB controllers in Windows Device Manager
> and then running Windows Update. SP2 has its own USB drivers and will
> install after deleting in Device Manager and refreshing or rebooting.
>
> %SystemRoot%= The Root folder where Windows XP is installed.
> On single boot systems it is C:\WINDOWS
>
> I have also found that if the TWAIN files in %SystemRoot% are not the
> correct verisons, Dimage ScanDual IV does not work correctly. These can be
> replaced (and screwed up) by other TWAIN driver installs.
> The parts are(Right click, Properties, Version tab):
> twain.dll Version 1.7.0.0
> twunk_16.exe Version 1.7.0.0
> twain_32.dll Version 1.7.1.0
> twunk_32.exe Version 1.7.1.0
>
> All of these files work together, so if one is not the correct version, the
> TWAIN system does not work correctly.
>
> %SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.
>
> These entries are what Twain.log contains when everything is working and no
> errors.
> TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::AppInitialize - Reset Log
> TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - CTwunk ::o penServer - Starting Thunker
> TWUNK_16.EXE - MESSAGE - Twunk --WinMain - Posting Startup Complete To
> Twain
>
> Twain.log is cleared and created each time the Twain system is used. The log
> always shows the last attempt.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
November 7, 2004 9:54:15 AM

Use Windows Explorer to open C:\Windows\Twain.log. Double click and Notepad
will open with the text. Twain.log is a plain text file.

>%SystemRoot%\TWAIN.LOG will tell you if there is a problem.

%SystemRoot%= C:\Windows on most systems. That means the TWAIN.LOG is in
the Windows folder.

The search tool in Windows is found at Start>Search. You may have to check
the advanced setting to scan the Windows XP system folders.

If everything is working when you use Irfanview to scan with the Scandual4,
then the TWAIN interface and USB is working OK.

That means that the problem lies with the stand alone Utility. If it is not
installed correctly, then remove it and install Minolta ScanDual Software
with all the default settings.

Some replies in body.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Ulla" <ullasgallery@chello.se> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Sorry I haven't answered before, but your last reply never showed up
> in my news reader, I just saw it when I made a search on Google
> groups.
>
> I really appreciate your efforts to help me, but this is beginning to
> get very technical. I am just an ordinary end user, I don't even know
> what a VIA chip set is.

VIA is a manufacturer of the chipset that controls the data from the CPU to
memory, USB, and the rest of the computer.

!