SP2? No sweat!

December 6, 2004 3:27:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

To all,

As one who was very critical (for good reasons) of XP V W2k -- ?

Well, in three months? Haven't dual-booted to W2k but twice, just to
see if all was OK. It is.

I've been sitting on SP2 all this time, why fix what ain't broken?

Last night, on an impulse I dropped the CD in. It was an impulse -- as
it spun up I'm thiking WTF -- Is it too late?

Well, (as it said it could take 2 hours I grabbed a grilled cheese.

I don't think it took 1/2 an hour as I returned to the machine and it
asked for a re-boot. I did, and all seems fine! Didn't try every
proggie as I have scores -- but it was too easy.

I have a SP2 folder in 'Windows' - can that go?

I saved everything (everything it asked for, including the uninstall).
Can the first foler 'go' -- how long should I wait to delete the
backup-stuff?

Again, I don't doubt others have had problems and I may yet find a
glitch. But this went much better than any NT or W2k Service Pack. As I
have a good firewall and AV? Besides the new media player? What might I
notice? Nuttin' seems to have changed!

Michael
--
Lead, follow or get of of the way.

I'll help you if I can.

If you don't have a solution? I don't want to hear from you.

More about : sp2 sweat

December 6, 2004 3:27:13 PM

"Slip Kid" wrote:

> To all,
>
> As one who was very critical (for good reasons) of XP V W2k -- ?
>
> Well, in three months? Haven't dual-booted to W2k but twice, just to
> see if all was OK. It is.
>
> I've been sitting on SP2 all this time, why fix what ain't broken?
>
> Last night, on an impulse I dropped the CD in. It was an impulse -- as
> it spun up I'm thiking WTF -- Is it too late?
>
> Well, (as it said it could take 2 hours I grabbed a grilled cheese.
>
> I don't think it took 1/2 an hour as I returned to the machine and it
> asked for a re-boot. I did, and all seems fine! Didn't try every
> proggie as I have scores -- but it was too easy.
>
> I have a SP2 folder in 'Windows' - can that go?
>
> I saved everything (everything it asked for, including the uninstall).
> Can the first foler 'go' -- how long should I wait to delete the
> backup-stuff?
>
> Again, I don't doubt others have had problems and I may yet find a
> glitch. But this went much better than any NT or W2k Service Pack. As I
> have a good firewall and AV? Besides the new media player? What might I
> notice? Nuttin' seems to have changed!
>
> Michael
> --
> Lead, follow or get of of the way.
>
> I'll help you if I can.
>
> If you don't have a solution? I don't want to hear from you.

Lo mate,

Firstly, after installing SP2, you might wanna do a windows update as
there's already a critical update in there.

Pretty much there isn't a great deal to notice other than the security bits
and bobs in the background, the annoyingly poor firewall, and the REALLY bad
pop up blocker in IE6 which I'm glad I don't have to use due to Mozilla being
a better browser.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 3:27:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Check here
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Slip Kid" <G-2@att.net> wrote in message
> To all,
>
> As one who was very critical (for good reasons) of XP V W2k -- ?
>
> Well, in three months? Haven't dual-booted to W2k but twice, just to see
> if all was OK. It is.
>
> I've been sitting on SP2 all this time, why fix what ain't broken?
>
> Last night, on an impulse I dropped the CD in. It was an impulse -- as
> it spun up I'm thiking WTF -- Is it too late?
>
> Well, (as it said it could take 2 hours I grabbed a grilled cheese.
>
> I don't think it took 1/2 an hour as I returned to the machine and it
> asked for a re-boot. I did, and all seems fine! Didn't try every proggie
> as I have scores -- but it was too easy.
>
> I have a SP2 folder in 'Windows' - can that go?
>
> I saved everything (everything it asked for, including the uninstall). Can
> the first foler 'go' -- how long should I wait to delete the
> backup-stuff?
>
> Again, I don't doubt others have had problems and I may yet find a glitch.
> But this went much better than any NT or W2k Service Pack. As I have a
> good firewall and AV? Besides the new media player? What might I notice?
> Nuttin' seems to have changed!
>
> Michael
> --
> Lead, follow or get of of the way.
>
> I'll help you if I can.
>
> If you don't have a solution? I don't want to hear from you.

December 6, 2004 9:08:18 PM

Slip Kid <G-2@att.net> wrote:

>Again, I don't doubt others have had problems and I may yet find a
>glitch. But this went much better than any NT or W2k Service Pack. As I
>have a good firewall and AV? Besides the new media player? What might I
>notice? Nuttin' seems to have changed!

Perhaps you didn't look very far. :-)

One very visible difference with SP2 (and it is purely cosmetic) is
that the opening "splash screen" now just says Windows XP with no
mention of the version (e.g. Home or Pro). This is because there are
now 4 versions of XP, with the others being Tablet PC and Media
Center.

But the vast majority of the SP2 differences are "under the hood" and
may not be really noticeable to users. The Security Center monitoring
of antivirus status and producing a visible advisory regarding out of
date virus definitions is a nice touch, especially for the many users
who tend to be a bit casual about maintaining their antivirus
software.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

December 6, 2004 10:55:03 PM

On 12/6/2004 1:08 PM, Ron Martell wrote:

> Slip Kid <G-2@att.net> wrote:
>

>>Again, I don't doubt others have had problems and I may yet find a
>>glitch. But this went much better than any NT or W2k Service Pack. As I
>>have a good firewall and AV? Besides the new media player? What might I
>>notice? Nuttin' seems to have changed!
>>

> Perhaps you didn't look very far. :-)
>
> One very visible difference with SP2 (and it is purely cosmetic) is
> that the opening "splash screen" now just says Windows XP with no
> mention of the version (e.g. Home or Pro). This is because there are
> now 4 versions of XP, with the others being Tablet PC and Media
> Center.
>
> But the vast majority of the SP2 differences are "under the hood" and
> may not be really noticeable to users. The Security Center monitoring
> of antivirus status and producing a visible advisory regarding out of
> date virus definitions is a nice touch, especially for the many users
> who tend to be a bit casual about maintaining their antivirus
> software.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Well, I was aware that I'd not be getting credit for the 'Pro' upon splash.

No, the machine isn't connected to the Internet -- It's in room without
a phone (I'm on the lapper now). I plan to go high speed in that room, soon.

I am a [whisper] Mozilla user and have good security on top of the system.

Did I miss it or was my question about the folders not answered?

Michael

--
Lead, follow or get of of the way.

I'll help you if I can.

If you don't have a solution? I don't want to hear from you.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:52:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Start here:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Also see:
And
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Slip Kid" <G-2@att.net> wrote in message
> To all,
>
> As one who was very critical (for good reasons) of XP V W2k -- ?
>
> Well, in three months? Haven't dual-booted to W2k but twice, just to see
> if all was OK. It is.
>
> I've been sitting on SP2 all this time, why fix what ain't broken?
>
> Last night, on an impulse I dropped the CD in. It was an impulse -- as
> it spun up I'm thiking WTF -- Is it too late?
>
> Well, (as it said it could take 2 hours I grabbed a grilled cheese.
>
> I don't think it took 1/2 an hour as I returned to the machine and it
> asked for a re-boot. I did, and all seems fine! Didn't try every proggie
> as I have scores -- but it was too easy.
>
> I have a SP2 folder in 'Windows' - can that go?
>
> I saved everything (everything it asked for, including the uninstall). Can
> the first foler 'go' -- how long should I wait to delete the
> backup-stuff?
>
> Again, I don't doubt others have had problems and I may yet find a glitch.
> But this went much better than any NT or W2k Service Pack. As I have a
> good firewall and AV? Besides the new media player? What might I notice?
> Nuttin' seems to have changed!
>
> Michael
> --
> Lead, follow or get of of the way.
>
> I'll help you if I can.
>
> If you don't have a solution? I don't want to hear from you.

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:38:32 PM

On 12/7/2004 1:52 PM, Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

> Start here:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
>
> Also see:
> And
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Jupiter,

Thanks.

To bad Larry's feather's were so ruffled. Jeeze, It's a friggin' sig!

Things seem to be running smoothly after several days.

I didn't end up with anything but a current 'restore' point.

Before SP2 I was running with a month of dates. I had plenty of space so
let it go.

Like a could pick a date in the past month to 'go back to'?!

Michael
--
Lead, follow or get out of the way.

I'll help you if I can.

If you don't have a solution? I don't want to hear from you.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:35:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You might try MS support here....
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301224

Ed

!