Sign in with
Your question

Reply-To, Without Quotes

Last response: in Site Feedback
July 12, 2007 4:20:57 PM

First of all, we bitched and Tom's listened and made changes. THANK YOU. The new placement of the Quote button is awesome, and the add to list of quotes button is FREAKING awesome.

However, I would still like you guys to consider adding a button that simply adds a "In Reply To Username123" text to a message. Sometimes you don't want to quote everything, you just want to let the everyone know you speaking in reply to a certain person.

I think this would help the flow of the forums and reduce on un-needed quoting that can make threads reeeealy long.

THG, thanks for listening to us and tweaking the forums. My opinion is slowly starting to change...

More about : reply quotes

July 12, 2007 4:30:33 PM

What exactly does the 'add to the list of quoted messages' do?
July 12, 2007 8:31:41 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
First of all, we bitched and Tom's listened and made changes. THANK YOU. The new placement of the Quote button is awesome, and the add to list of quotes button is FREAKING awesome.

However, I would still like you guys to consider adding a button that simply adds a "In Reply To Username123" text to a message. Sometimes you don't want to quote everything, you just want to let the everyone know you speaking in reply to a certain person.

I think this would help the flow of the forums and reduce on un-needed quoting that can make threads reeeealy long.

THG, thanks for listening to us and tweaking the forums. My opinion is slowly starting to change...

badge said:
What exactly does the 'add to the list of quoted messages' do?

This :D 

July 12, 2007 9:56:37 PM

Landi, I must thank you for that example. You just showed me how to do a hacked version of nested quotes (still a pain in the a.. because it needs a lot of clicks, but it will work). Now if they could just allow quotes to work properly again (allong with the option of the all important reply button, which is what I use 99% of the time) that would be awsome.
July 13, 2007 1:17:36 AM

Yes, quite often people replied to other posts and we knew who they were replying to without all the quotes. There needs to be a button that does this. Also, that envelope with the arrow pointing to it still says "Reply to" and not "Quote" to me.

One other small nitpick... shouldn't it be "Tom's Hardware Forums" and not "Forum Tom's Hardware"? I realize English may not be your first language... but this is one small grammatical error that should be corrected.

Yeah, I know... I'm picky... sue me. :p 
July 13, 2007 3:04:05 AM

A usual habit with the "full reply" (containing the name of the poster + its previous message) is to bolden a part of the comment in order to stress it, while keeping all/some other parts to set a context or to indicate that one agree with what one left.
That reduces the number of quotes needed for a detailed reply of a long, argumented post.
Example:

Zoron said:
Yes, quite often people replied to other posts and we knew who they were replying to without all the quotes. There needs to be a button that does this. Also, that envelope with the arrow pointing to it still says "Reply to" and not "Quote" to me.

One other small nitpick... shouldn't it be "Tom's Hardware Forums" and not "Forum Tom's Hardware"? I realize English may not be your first language... but this is one small grammatical error that should be corrected.

Yeah, I know... I'm picky... sue me. :p 

You're right, but I guess it's not an error of translation as - I presume - the title thing simply hasn't been translated... memory lapse? :D 
For instance the titles of all MD forums begin with "FORUM" (capitalized), thereafter supadmins are free to choose a name. Like: "FORUM Tom's Hardware (THG)". That's because the forum had been designed and sold for french speaking communities, until recently. Now it's been translated into english and german, I expect some changes in the customization handling :) 
!