registry cleaner

Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program called Easy
Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming one is needed.
Thanks.
23 answers Last reply
More about registry cleaner

    "Karen F" <jakeyboy@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    | Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program called
    Easy
    | Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming one is needed.
    | Thanks.

    You should not use any kind of registry cleaner unless there is a specific
    need for it, and if you are aware of the specific need, you are also
    probably knowledgeable enough to do what you want to do without it. Despite
    some users' (unsupported) claims to the contrary, there is no reliable
    evidence that a "dirty" registry is the cause of performance problems in XP.

    You don't need a Registry cleaner with any version of Windows. If you do
    use one, make sure you ikow how to recover after is screws up the Registry.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    In news:ecML1W52EHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Karen F <jakeyboy@frontiernet.net> typed:

    > Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a
    > program
    > called Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one,
    > assuming
    > one is needed. Thanks.

    My view is that, in any version of Windows, the risk of a
    registry cleaner screwing up the registry is much greater than
    any possible benefit of using it. You're better off without any
    of them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:%23SG9Yu72EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:

    > In news:ecML1W52EHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Karen F <jakeyboy@frontiernet.net> typed:
    >
    >> Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a
    >> program
    >> called Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one,
    >> assuming
    >> one is needed. Thanks.
    >

    > My view is that, in any version of Windows, the risk of a
    > registry cleaner screwing up the registry is much greater than
    > any possible benefit of using it. You're better off without any
    > of them.

    I'm not advocating. I just don't understand;

    What's the 'risk' in running one, so long as you (or the tool) set a restore
    point first?

    And what's the 'reward' for having a whole slew of entries in your registry
    pointing to nowhere?

    Bill

    "Bill" <Bill@no.invalid> wrote in message
    | In news:%23SG9Yu72EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    | Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:
    |
    | > In news:ecML1W52EHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    | > Karen F <jakeyboy@frontiernet.net> typed:
    | >
    | >> Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a
    | >> program
    | >> called Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one,
    | >> assuming
    | >> one is needed. Thanks.
    | >

    | > My view is that, in any version of Windows, the risk of a
    | > registry cleaner screwing up the registry is much greater than
    | > any possible benefit of using it. You're better off without any
    | > of them.
    |
    | I'm not advocating. I just don't understand;
    |
    | What's the 'risk' in running one, so long as you (or the tool) set a
    restore
    | point first?
    |
    | And what's the 'reward' for having a whole slew of entries in your
    registry
    | pointing to nowhere?
    |
    | Bill

    For get about the risk; there is no reward. The question is, "how do a whole
    slew of unresolved registry entries affect computer performance?" The
    answer is, "Not at all."

    In news:IeGdnefd6KZTOCncRVn-iA@comcast.com,
    Bill <Bill@no.invalid> typed:

    > In news:%23SG9Yu72EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:
    >
    >> In news:ecML1W52EHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Karen F <jakeyboy@frontiernet.net> typed:
    >>
    >>> Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a
    >>> program
    >>> called Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one,
    >>> assuming
    >>> one is needed. Thanks.
    >>

    >> My view is that, in any version of Windows, the risk of a
    >> registry cleaner screwing up the registry is much greater than
    >> any possible benefit of using it. You're better off without
    >> any
    >> of them.
    >
    > I'm not advocating. I just don't understand;
    >
    > What's the 'risk' in running one, so long as you (or the tool)
    > set a
    > restore point first?

    If you use a registry cleaner, making a restore point first would
    be a wise precaution, but it can only reduce the risk, not
    eliminate it. Unfortunately, although a restore point can often
    get you out of trouble, sometimes they don't work.

    > And what's the 'reward' for having a whole slew of entries in
    > your
    > registry pointing to nowhere?

    Reward? None at all. What's the penalty for having them? Also
    none at all.

    The point is that although you can reduce the risk, as you
    suggest, it's not worth taking any risk for no gain.

    Karen F schrieb:
    > Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program called Easy
    > Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming one is needed.
    > Thanks.

    i'm using the one included in "tuneup uitilities 2004" - it's the best
    one i know

    Karen F wrote:
    > Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program called Easy
    > Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming one is needed.
    > Thanks.

    Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
    registry "cleaners," I can only advise to you to avoid them all.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I recommend you
    learn to do the same.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Karen F wrote:
    >> Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program called
    >> Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming one is
    >> needed. Thanks.
    >>

    > Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
    > registry "cleaners," I can only advise to you to avoid them all.
    >
    > The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    > and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    > your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    > experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    > no matter how safe they claim to be.
    >
    > I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    > far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I recommend you
    > learn to do the same.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Do we assume your advice not to use 'Registry Cleaners' extends to programs
    like AdAware and Spybot? These 'malware' cleaning program also remove
    entries from the Registry.

    Your consistent criticism of Registry Cleaners as a group seems to indicate
    your own lack of experience than to that of others. I suspect the risk of
    damage to the Registry by "inexperienced people" is far greater when
    'manually' removing entries than by using a third party Registry Cleaner as
    these programs usually if not always backup the Registry before making
    changes, something many simply do not do as witnessed in these NGs.

    > "Bill" <Bill@no.invalid> wrote in message
    >| In news:%23SG9Yu72EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >| Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:
    >|
    >| > In news:ecML1W52EHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >| > Karen F <jakeyboy@frontiernet.net> typed:

    >| > My view is that, in any version of Windows, the risk of a
    >| > registry cleaner screwing up the registry is much greater than
    >| > any possible benefit of using it. You're better off without any
    >| > of them.
    >|
    >| I'm not advocating. I just don't understand;
    >|
    >| What's the 'risk' in running one, so long as you (or the tool) set a
    >| restore point first?
    >|
    >| And what's the 'reward' for having a whole slew of entries in your
    >| registry pointing to nowhere?
    >|
    >| Bill
    >
    > For get about the risk; there is no reward. The question is, "how do a
    > whole slew of unresolved registry entries affect computer performance?"
    > The answer is, "Not at all."

    I totally agree. I have quite a few hefty programs on my main drive - ~
    18GB, but if I export my Registry, it uses a total of only 108MB.
    Therefore ther's no space-saving by "tidying up your Registry".
    Performance-wise it also has no noticeable effect.

    The only program I do run is RegSupreme http://www.macecraft.com/ & for one
    reason only.
    It irratates me that every time you - for example - uninstall a program;
    copy something to your Desktop, then move it elsewhere, delete it or
    whatever, it retains that information in the Registry. No performance
    advantage is gained in removing those keys, but I just can't see the point
    in having something there doing nothing.

    I've used that program for over a year, initially, I carefully
    triple-checked each & every entry it found before I even contemplated
    removing (quarantining) it via RegSupreme, but it didn't take me long to
    discover that each entry found was a legit "does not exist" type of key.
    Now I just run & quarantine everything it finds without bothering to check
    them - usually 50-100 keys per day.

    Sure, I'm a perfectionist in several areas, but that sort of thing just bugs
    me, so I regularly spend a couple of clean-up minutes & run it.

    No way would I use ANY other so-called Registry Cleaner software, as too
    many have built-in potential dangers which eventually will probably mean a
    system restore at the best. One thing for sure, if you have a tidy Registry
    to begin with, it will not effect your PC's performance, just help to fill
    the coffers of a multitude of Cleaner-type programmers who in most cases
    don't want to know you if you create a disaster from their program.

    <end of saga>

    --

    johnf

    johnf wrote:
    >>"Bill" <Bill@no.invalid> wrote in message
    >>| In news:%23SG9Yu72EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >>| Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:

    >>| I'm not advocating. I just don't understand;
    >>|
    >>| What's the 'risk' in running one, so long as you (or the tool) set a
    >>| restore point first?
    >>|
    >>| And what's the 'reward' for having a whole slew of entries in your
    >>| registry pointing to nowhere?
    >>|
    >>| Bill
    >>
    >>For get about the risk; there is no reward. The question is, "how do a
    >>whole slew of unresolved registry entries affect computer performance?"
    >>The answer is, "Not at all."
    >

    > I totally agree. I have quite a few hefty programs on my main drive - ~
    > 18GB, but if I export my Registry, it uses a total of only 108MB.
    > Therefore ther's no space-saving by "tidying up your Registry".
    > Performance-wise it also has no noticeable effect.
    >
    > The only program I do run is RegSupreme http://www.macecraft.com/ & for one
    > reason only.
    > It irratates me that every time you - for example - uninstall a program;
    > copy something to your Desktop, then move it elsewhere, delete it or
    > whatever, it retains that information in the Registry. No performance
    > advantage is gained in removing those keys, but I just can't see the point
    > in having something there doing nothing.
    >
    > I've used that program for over a year, initially, I carefully
    > triple-checked each & every entry it found before I even contemplated
    > removing (quarantining) it via RegSupreme, but it didn't take me long to
    > discover that each entry found was a legit "does not exist" type of key.
    > Now I just run & quarantine everything it finds without bothering to check
    > them - usually 50-100 keys per day.
    >
    > Sure, I'm a perfectionist in several areas, but that sort of thing just bugs
    > me, so I regularly spend a couple of clean-up minutes & run it.
    >
    > No way would I use ANY other so-called Registry Cleaner software, as too
    > many have built-in potential dangers which eventually will probably mean a
    > system restore at the best. One thing for sure, if you have a tidy Registry
    > to begin with, it will not effect your PC's performance, just help to fill
    > the coffers of a multitude of Cleaner-type programmers who in most cases
    > don't want to know you if you create a disaster from their program.
    >
    > <end of saga>
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf

    I'm happy to hear from a registry utility user who admits that it's done
    out of compulsive neatness. Nothing wrong with that.

    [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    old and new registry keys.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%239mv9d%232EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:

    In news:OmnylWC3EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Edward W. Thompson <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> typed:

    > Do we assume your advice not to use 'Registry Cleaners' extends
    > programs like AdAware and Spybot? These 'malware' cleaning
    > program
    > also remove entries from the Registry.

    You've addressed Bruce. I don't want to speak for him, but since
    I've also advised against using these registry cleaners, I'll
    address your criticism for myself.

    There is an enormous difference between a program which looks for
    certain malicious registry entries and removes them (like Adaware
    and Spybot Search and Destroy) and a general-purpose registry
    cleaner, which removes entries based on the assumption that they
    are no longer needed. The former is safe to use; the latter often
    is not.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hey Wes,
    I don't think you read my post thoroughly.
    I mentioned the Registry size to bring into perspective the miniscule size
    of it compared to the overall amt. of data on your average O.S. & only
    exported it so I could check its properties to use accurate figures for my
    post :-)

    Therefore, I'll say - "no it didn't help & I've let you know"
    (HTH)

    --

    johnf

> [...]
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf

    > Karen F wrote:
    >> Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program
    >> called Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming
    >> one is needed. Thanks.
    >>

    > Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
    > registry "cleaners," I can only advise to you to avoid them all.
    >
    > The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    > and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    > your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    > experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    > no matter how safe they claim to be.
    >
    > I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    > far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I recommend you

    Agreed, & what's the performance advantage anyway? Nil!
    If it ain't broke...etc. etc.

    --
    johnf

    Brother. Talk about a collection of paranoid fools. There are many excellent
    and safe registry cleaners for XP. RegOpt is also an excellent tool and to
    back up the registry ERUNT. As far as claims that unused or incorrectly
    written reg entries do nothing to slow the system down, this may be so. But I
    simply don't see the need to burden the OS with uncessary junk. Why would you
    want a bloated registry?
    The following is a quote from PC World:
    "The Registry: Windows' collection of settings, instructions, and mistakes
    grows more unwieldy over time, increasing your PC's processing overhead (a
    bloated Registry also raises the likelihood of other system problems).
    Cleaning it out every so often is a good idea--although an imperfect one. No
    Registry cleaning program I know of gets every nook and cranny."
    A quote from The Elder Geek: "and registries that are so bloated with junk
    that it's a miracle the systems even boot."

    There are hundreds more from those with the intelligence to know. Having a
    bloated registry is asking for trouble. A registry cleaned by a safe and
    effective tool like the one in Easy Cleaner or the old JV16 Power Tools or
    the free RegCleaner from JV16.org, RegSeeker also works like a dream, helps
    to eliminate the bloat as well as problems. I have extensively tested these
    apps and found nothing in them to cause any problems or conflicts in an
    updated and well maintained XP OS. Even Microsoft recommends registry
    cleaners. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/wugnet.mspx
    Not to mention the registry entries that are spyware\adware\malware
    components. So those saying "not" to clean the registry don't know what
    they're talking about, including these supposed MVP's, Sorry if that ruffles
    your feathers, but I call them as I see them and you are plain flat out
    wrong.

    "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    | Brother. Talk about a collection of paranoid fools. There are many
    excellent
    | and safe registry cleaners for XP. RegOpt is also an excellent tool and to
    | back up the registry ERUNT. As far as claims that unused or incorrectly
    | written reg entries do nothing to slow the system down, this may be so.
    But I
    | simply don't see the need to burden the OS with uncessary junk. Why would
    you
    | want a bloated registry?
    | The following is a quote from PC World:
    | "The Registry: Windows' collection of settings, instructions, and mistakes
    | grows more unwieldy over time, increasing your PC's processing overhead (a
    | bloated Registry also raises the likelihood of other system problems).
    | Cleaning it out every so often is a good idea--although an imperfect one.
    No
    | Registry cleaning program I know of gets every nook and cranny."
    | A quote from The Elder Geek: "and registries that are so bloated with junk
    | that it's a miracle the systems even boot."
    |
    | There are hundreds more from those with the intelligence to know. Having a
    | bloated registry is asking for trouble. A registry cleaned by a safe and
    | effective tool like the one in Easy Cleaner or the old JV16 Power Tools or
    | the free RegCleaner from JV16.org, RegSeeker also works like a dream,
    helps
    | to eliminate the bloat as well as problems. I have extensively tested
    these
    | apps and found nothing in them to cause any problems or conflicts in an
    | updated and well maintained XP OS. Even Microsoft recommends registry
    | cleaners. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/wugnet.mspx
    | Not to mention the registry entries that are spyware\adware\malware
    | components. So those saying "not" to clean the registry don't know what
    | they're talking about, including these supposed MVP's, Sorry if that
    ruffles
    | your feathers, but I call them as I see them and you are plain flat out
    | wrong.

    The only thing unknown about you is where your brain is. *Your* statement:
    "As far as claims that unused or incorrectly written reg entries do nothing
    to slow the system down, this may be so." You *know* it's so. If you
    disagree, provide objective evidence to the contrary. Then, as if you
    didn't already sound stupid enough, you said, "But I | simply don't see the
    need to burden the OS with uncessary junk. Why would you?" It's hard to
    make up your mind when you don't have one, I guess. Where's the burden???
    Empty appeals to authority ( a well-known and specious defense for a lame
    argument) don't impress me much. Show me the data, doofus.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    And your point is??

    I'd prefer to be told where I'm correct & incorrect in my post, rather than
    just have a couple of replies accusing me of being - "a paranoid fool ", &
    "you are plain flat out wrong" & then generally following on with various
    cut & paste excerpts from odd websites to boost your theories.

    Come on, give your brain a bit of exercise so at least I have an opportunity
    to debate something directly, rather than read old 3rd. hand people's views
    selected by you to bolster your very questionable arguments.
    Gawd, I could even do that & prove the world is still flat!
    --

    johnf

    > Brother. Talk about a collection of paranoid fools. There are many
    > excellent and safe registry cleaners for XP. RegOpt is also an
    > excellent tool and to back up the registry ERUNT. As far as claims that
    > unused or incorrectly written reg entries do nothing to slow the system
    > down, this may be so. But I simply don't see the need to burden the OS
    > with uncessary junk. Why would you want a bloated registry?
    > The following is a quote from PC World:
    > "The Registry: Windows' collection of settings, instructions, and
    > mistakes grows more unwieldy over time, increasing your PC's processing
    > overhead (a bloated Registry also raises the likelihood of other system
    > problems). Cleaning it out every so often is a good idea--although an
    > imperfect one. No Registry cleaning program I know of gets every nook
    > and cranny."
    > A quote from The Elder Geek: "and registries that are so bloated with
    > junk that it's a miracle the systems even boot."
    >
    > There are hundreds more from those with the intelligence to know.
    > Having a bloated registry is asking for trouble. A registry cleaned by
    > a safe and effective tool like the one in Easy Cleaner or the old JV16
    > Power Tools or the free RegCleaner from JV16.org, RegSeeker also works
    > like a dream, helps to eliminate the bloat as well as problems. I have
    > extensively tested these apps and found nothing in them to cause any
    > problems or conflicts in an updated and well maintained XP OS. Even
    > Microsoft recommends registry cleaners.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/wugnet.mspx
    > Not to mention the registry entries that are spyware\adware\malware
    > components. So those saying "not" to clean the registry don't know what
    > they're talking about, including these supposed MVP's, Sorry if that
    > ruffles your feathers, but I call them as I see them and you are plain
    > flat out wrong.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I'll pre-empt Bruce & say definitely use AdAware and Spybot.

    --

    johnf

    > "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Karen F wrote:
    >>> Is a registry cleaner needed with Windows XP. I have a program
    >>> called Easy Cleaner but I thought there may be a better one, assuming
    >>> one is needed. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
    >> registry "cleaners," I can only advise to you to avoid them all.
    >>
    >> The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    >> and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    >> your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    >> experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    >> no matter how safe they claim to be.
    >>
    >> I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    >> far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I recommend you
    >> learn to do the same.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH
    >
    > Do we assume your advice not to use 'Registry Cleaners' extends to
    > programs like AdAware and Spybot? These 'malware' cleaning program
    > also remove entries from the Registry.
    >
    > Your consistent criticism of Registry Cleaners as a group seems to
    > indicate your own lack of experience than to that of others. I suspect
    > the risk of damage to the Registry by "inexperienced people" is far
    > greater when 'manually' removing entries than by using a third party
    > Registry Cleaner as these programs usually if not always backup the
    > Registry before making changes, something many simply do not do as
    > witnessed in these NGs.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    The Unknown P wrote:

    > The following is a quote from PC World:
    > "The Registry: Windows' collection of settings, instructions, and mistakes
    > grows more unwieldy over time, increasing your PC's processing overhead (a
    > bloated Registry also raises the likelihood of other system problems).
    > Cleaning it out every so often is a good idea--although an imperfect one. No
    > Registry cleaning program I know of gets every nook and cranny."
    > A quote from The Elder Geek: "and registries that are so bloated with junk
    > that it's a miracle the systems even boot."
    >
    > There are hundreds more from those with the intelligence to know.

    Well, you're welcome to do as you like, but I'll trust the opinions --
    based upon results of my own years of experience and observation (and
    those of others who support computers for a living) -- over the opinions
    of those who merely read and write about computers.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:

    > Do we assume your advice not to use 'Registry Cleaners' extends to programs
    > like AdAware and Spybot?

    A good question, but no, you cannot assume this.

    > These 'malware' cleaning program also remove
    > entries from the Registry.

    Not automatically, and only those registry entries of known malware
    products. I have yet to encounter, in the field, a problem caused by
    Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D.

    > Your consistent criticism of Registry Cleaners as a group seems to indicate
    > your own lack of experience than to that of others.

    Not at all. I base my opinion on years of experience cleaning up after
    people who use such products blindly.

    > I suspect the risk of
    > damage to the Registry by "inexperienced people" is far greater when
    > 'manually' removing entries than by using a third party Registry Cleaner as
    > these programs usually if not always backup the Registry before making
    > changes,

    Any numbers, or actual field experience/observations to support your
    suspicion?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Edward W. Thompson wrote:

    snip

    >> Your consistent criticism of Registry Cleaners as a group seems to
    >> indicate your own lack of experience than to that of others.
    >
    > Not at all. I base my opinion on years of experience cleaning up after
    > people who use such products blindly.
    >

    >> I suspect the risk of damage to the Registry by "inexperienced people" is
    >> far greater when 'manually' removing entries than by using a third party
    >> Registry Cleaner as these programs usually if not always backup the
    >> Registry before making changes,
    >
    > Any numbers, or actual field experience/observations to support your
    > suspicion?

    I don't have numbers and I strongly suspect, neither do you. You appear to
    make simple assertions based upon your claimed experience. As we all know
    there is both good and bad experience :-). Clearly experience is
    unquantifiable with respect to quality and it doesn't substitute for
    knowledge but augments knowledge. You claim to have experience but do you
    have knowledge of this subject? I think not.

    You and those others who so strongly warn against the use of 'registry
    cleaners', have not yet produced a single piece of evidence to support your
    claim of the inherent danger of using 'registry cleaners' that relate to
    this class of software as a group. I fully accept that the value of
    'registry cleaners' is debateable and also accept that under certain
    circumstances they may give rise to a problem but that possibility exists
    each time any program makes and entry or a deletion to the Registry.
    Fortunately these problems are not systematic and are not solely related to
    'registry cleaners'.

    With respect to my suspicions, I would have thought that the dangers of
    modifying the Registry without the necessary knowledge i.e. lack of
    experience, would be self evident and not require justification but perhaps
    in your 'experience' that is not so.

    As a question what is 'field' experience and on the assumption I have
    considerable field experience, whatever you think that means, does that
    make my view on this subject any more or less valid?

    Methinks you are full of bluster sir.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Try snipping out the the bullshit, typing errors, double Dutch such as "I
    don't have numbers and I strongly suspect, neither do you", which is pure
    remote hypothesis, - try doing some research for a change before you assert
    any such assumptions, then back it up on this thread with fact; BTW, run
    your Spelllchecker (if you're really serious about making a point).

    Referring to - "> As a question what is 'field' experience and on the
    assumption I have considerable field experience, whatever you think that
    means, does that make my view on this subject any more or less valid?" <

    [check your editing, intelligible English & punctuation on the above par for
    fun.]

    Well, actually, it makes your comment much less valid if you can't follow
    Bruce's advice, who is someone without a doubt & as just proven, much, much
    more experienced than you, also (which I'm sure you would have observed, as
    most of us regulars have if you're a regular follower of this NG), have seen
    the sound advice Bruce has given in the past [unless you're a dyslectic
    speed-reader].

    Now you may <sic> bluster on further if you feel inclined.

    --

    johnf

    > "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Edward W. Thompson wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >>> Your consistent criticism of Registry Cleaners as a group seems to
    >>> indicate your own lack of experience than to that of others.
    >>
    >> Not at all. I base my opinion on years of experience cleaning up after
    >> people who use such products blindly.
    >>

    >>> I suspect the risk of damage to the Registry by "inexperienced
    >>> people" is far greater when 'manually' removing entries than by using
    >>> a third party Registry Cleaner as these programs usually if not
    >>> always backup the Registry before making changes,
    >>
    >> Any numbers, or actual field experience/observations to support your
    >> suspicion?
    >>
    > I don't have numbers and I strongly suspect, neither do you. You
    > appear to make simple assertions based upon your claimed experience. As we
    > all know there is both good and bad experience :-). Clearly
    > experience is unquantifiable with respect to quality and it doesn't
    > substitute for knowledge but augments knowledge. You claim to have
    > experience but do you have knowledge of this subject? I think not.
    >
    > You and those others who so strongly warn against the use of 'registry
    > cleaners', have not yet produced a single piece of evidence to support
    > your claim of the inherent danger of using 'registry cleaners' that
    > relate to this class of software as a group. I fully accept that the
    > value of 'registry cleaners' is debateable and also accept that under
    > certain circumstances they may give rise to a problem but that
    > possibility exists each time any program makes and entry or a deletion
    > to the Registry. Fortunately these problems are not systematic and are
    > not solely related to 'registry cleaners'.
    >
    > With respect to my suspicions, I would have thought that the dangers of
    > modifying the Registry without the necessary knowledge i.e. lack of
    > experience, would be self evident and not require justification but
    > perhaps in your 'experience' that is not so.
    >
    > As a question what is 'field' experience and on the assumption I have
    > considerable field experience, whatever you think that means, does that
    > make my view on this subject any more or less valid?
    >
    > Methinks you are full of bluster sir.

Registry Cleaner Microsoft Windows XP