How do I attach Big Typhoon to my Gigabyte DQ6?

Gixxer2k7

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
The instructions for the Big Typhoon states to attach to thebottom plate to the bottom of the motherboard, but the cool and quiet heat sink on the bottom interferes with the mounting bracket. Did anyone just put the plate with cushion on the heat sink, or did use a plate on each side of the cushion and screwed on top of the heatsink? I would think the plate on each side would help dissipate the heat because I think the heatsink would melt the cushion if left unprotected.

Also I'm concerned even with this plate and cushion attached to the cool and quite heatsink, the board would not mount to the case due the the large space between the other motherboard mounting holes.

Has anyone just taken off the cool and quite heatsink on the bottom of the motherboard?

thx for any help. I really don't want to take back either item back to the store.

Gixxer2k7

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
my bad, after doing some extensive searching I realize now it's called the crazy cool plate that's attached to the bottom of the dq6 board.

Also it looks like a lot of people just took the entire plate off and this hasn't changed idle and load heat much.

So now I'm wondering has anyone just mounted one bracket from the Typhoon directly to this crazy cool plate using the 4 corner screws to the top bracket (heatsink/fan)? How important is the cushion actually, especially if the bracket is mounted tight?

It's either I take off the entire cool plate on the bottom, or I try just using a bracket on top of the cool plate.

Gixxer2k7

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
ok i found this site that will allow a typhoon to be placed on top of the crazy cool heat sink.

http://www.gam.net.au/dq6-ttbt/index.htm

I'm not too keen on the sanding down the processor though, but I do understand the mylar in between the heat sink and bracket. I'm not sure but i think the heatsink touching the bracket directly will cause a short and dead board, so the mylar provides some clearance.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Cool and Quite Heatsink?! Hmm. Anyways if you replace the Big Typhoon's 120mm fan with Silverstone FM121 120mm fan you'll a much better cooling just like what I did mine.

By the way, I read in some reviews that it's perfectly fine to remove the "Crazy Cooler" when installing a better HSF.

tik

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
ok i found this site that will allow a typhoon to be placed on top of the crazy cool heat sink.

http://www.gam.net.au/dq6-ttbt/index.htm

I'm not too keen on the sanding down the processor though, but I do understand the mylar in between the heat sink and bracket. I'm not sure but i think the heatsink touching the bracket directly will cause a short and dead board, so the mylar provides some clearance.

Don't even think about it. Get another cooler.