Scansoft - old versions ?

Hi all,

My brother bought the Paperport SCANSOFT software a year or so ago.

However during a fire in his outhouse-study he lost a lot of his
software and computer.

He is trying to get another copy of the original software but cannot get
any response from the Scansoft people despite writing to them on
numerous occasions.

Is there anywhere one can get old versions ? any way of making contact
with them ?

Obliged.

--
Howard
4 answers Last reply

    May be his homeowner insurance will pay him to replace this computer and
    software.
    Copyrighted software should be bought again if the original CD is destroyed.
    Maybe he can get upgrades for the software he had.

    ScanSoft:
    http://www.scansoft.com/

    PaperPort Deluxe 9 can be bought for the best price at:
    http://www.scantips.com/scansoft.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "Howard9" <don'twrite@all.com> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My brother bought the Paperport SCANSOFT software a year or so ago.
    >
    > However during a fire in his outhouse-study he lost a lot of his
    > software and computer.
    >
    > He is trying to get another copy of the original software but cannot get
    > any response from the Scansoft people despite writing to them on
    > numerous occasions.
    >
    > Is there anywhere one can get old versions ? any way of making contact
    > with them ?
    >
    > Obliged.
    >
    > --
    > Howard

    Might as well give it up. You don't say what version your are speaking of,
    but I had version 7.0 (downloaded from ScanSoft and verifiable in their
    records) and my computer crashed. This download was by V-box (sp?) whereby
    I didn't get the executable program downloaded to install, rather it was
    installed from the ScanSoft site to my PC. The V-Box module was created on
    my hard disk by ScanSoft. (I've never used this method since) My contact
    with Scansoft to reinstate the download gave the answer that 7.0 was no
    longer supported and I would have to buy the 8.0 version. The thing that
    grated was that 7.0 supported and worked with WinXP. After a few weeks
    cooling-down period I relented and went for version 8.0. Can't remember for
    certain, but I think they did give me a slightly reduced upgrade price.

    "Howard9" <don'twrite@all.com> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My brother bought the Paperport SCANSOFT software a year or so ago.
    >
    > However during a fire in his outhouse-study he lost a lot of his
    > software and computer.
    >
    > He is trying to get another copy of the original software but cannot get
    > any response from the Scansoft people despite writing to them on
    > numerous occasions.
    >
    > Is there anywhere one can get old versions ? any way of making contact
    > with them ?
    >
    > Obliged.
    >
    > --
    > Howard
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <Mtegd.27815$jo2.15594@twister.socal.rr.com>, ams34
    @san.rr.com says...
    > Might as well give it up. You don't say what version your are speaking of,
    > but I had version 7.0 (downloaded from ScanSoft and verifiable in their
    > records) and my computer crashed. This download was by V-box (sp?) whereby
    > I didn't get the executable program downloaded to install, rather it was
    > installed from the ScanSoft site to my PC. The V-Box module was created on
    > my hard disk by ScanSoft. (I've never used this method since) My contact
    > with Scansoft to reinstate the download gave the answer that 7.0 was no
    > longer supported and I would have to buy the 8.0 version. The thing that
    > grated was that 7.0 supported and worked with WinXP. After a few weeks
    > cooling-down period I relented and went for version 8.0. Can't remember for
    > certain, but I think they did give me a slightly reduced upgrade price.

    Thanks for that advice Gene - much appreciated

    --
    Howard
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Sorry to hear they told you that. Actually you can get paperport with
    the original software drivers at no charge direct from visioneer. For
    example, if you order the visioneer paperport strobe driver CD it will
    come with Paperport 7.0 on it--for free. All you have to do is pay
    shipping. I just got a replacement last week.

    "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message news:<Mtegd.27815$jo2.15594@twister.socal.rr.com>...
    > Might as well give it up. You don't say what version your are speaking of,
    > but I had version 7.0 (downloaded from ScanSoft and verifiable in their
    > records) and my computer crashed. This download was by V-box (sp?) whereby
    > I didn't get the executable program downloaded to install, rather it was
    > installed from the ScanSoft site to my PC. The V-Box module was created on
    > my hard disk by ScanSoft. (I've never used this method since) My contact
    > with Scansoft to reinstate the download gave the answer that 7.0 was no
    > longer supported and I would have to buy the 8.0 version. The thing that
    > grated was that 7.0 supported and worked with WinXP. After a few weeks
    > cooling-down period I relented and went for version 8.0. Can't remember for
    > certain, but I think they did give me a slightly reduced upgrade price.
    >
    > "Howard9" <don'twrite@all.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > My brother bought the Paperport SCANSOFT software a year or so ago.
    > >
    > > However during a fire in his outhouse-study he lost a lot of his
    > > software and computer.
    > >
    > > He is trying to get another copy of the original software but cannot get
    > > any response from the Scansoft people despite writing to them on
    > > numerous occasions.
    > >
    > > Is there anywhere one can get old versions ? any way of making contact
    > > with them ?
    > >
    > > Obliged.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Howard

Scanners Software Brother Peripherals Product