When Will a QuadCore Version of a 6300 be out?

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Well I know QuadCore will be coming out in the next few months, but it will only be a high end version for like $1000+.

So my question is when will a Quadcore lowerend like a 6300 be out?

Thanks Storm

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
You mean a desktop quad core in the sub $200 price range? If we're lucky in 2008. The fact is that quad cores aren't cheap to make and very few customers in the low-end will be able to make make use of a quad core. It's probably a generally true assumption that if you are able to continuously fully load a quad core you'd be willing to pay a little bit more for it. In any case, few programs are evenly fully dual threaded much less anything higher so a higher clock speed dual core still have their uses.

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=671378
I don't think Intel would want people paying a ton for sub par single threaded performance on the desktop..But there is the Xeon 5320 for $690. In contrast, the E5120, same clocked but dual core, is currently $256..
The Xeon E5310 at 1.6GHz $455 would be the one, if only there was a decent over-clocking platform for Woodcrest/Clovertown. 1.6GHz/1067FSB @ 450 FSB = 2.7GHz :)

Any news on whether NVidia are introducing a chipset for these Xeons?

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Yea I'm talking about Desktop Intel QuadCore's not Xeon or whatever else. Like Low-end version's for QuadCore's.
Sorry to drift off topic, but these Xeon’s are likely to be the best bet until 45nm arrives. And that’s only in theory, as it doesn’t seem possible to over-clock them currently.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
itcommanderdata is quite right, intel, until they get their native quad core sorted out (and get more performance) they will not want to release a <2.0ghz quad core as performance in single theraded apps (for the price) would be not all that good. Until software is heavily optimized for a multi core environment we will not see any performance improvement with a quad core @the same clock speed of a dual core e6300. The clock speed is just too low for there to be any improvement.
And anyway they want to market it as a fast processor, they dont want people saying its too slow or not as fast as a <2ghz dual core (assuming they bought a <2ghz quad core model)

i think you should be able to understand why they wouldn't want to release a quad core e6300 speed model. There would be not performance increse at the same speed at the moment.

Heck they are only making a 'small number' of kentselds to satisfy the enthusiast and video/photo editing/cad users. They will undoubtably rackup production with yorkfield (native quad core, 45nm) when perhaps oftware bconmes more multi threaded. It will be cheper due to it being 45nm, i guess :D