Sign in with
Your question

1500 watt PSU???

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2006 3:51:31 AM

Is there any? im building a PC, i have about 5000 bucks to spend on it, but i want it upgradable in the future, and number thing that u need to have compatiable when upgrading is power supply, so i dont want to settle for the 1kw PSU i want a 1.5kw PSU that'll last me for a pretty long time, thank you in advance.

More about : 1500 watt psu

a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2006 1:24:38 PM

Quote:
Buy the time you would come anywhere neer needing that big of a PSU there will be new revisions to the ATX12V specs that would probably render that PSU unusable. 700w to 800w is all you really need. If you feal like going with SLI on the new 8800 DX10 compatible video cards then all you need is an 800W PSU. Even though SLI and CF are a waiste of money. The price to performance ration is piss poor. Considerind the growth of power needed for each new generation of video cards. I think they will have to come up with some new PSU specs to suport them.

I second that too! The SLI/CF is definately overrated for the price/performance that you get for the money. Like mpilchfamily says, 800w should be more than enough for quite awhile.
October 23, 2006 1:26:50 PM

It would be a sad day when gas generators can't even power a damn computer...

But no, 1500W is way too much. 700W should be just fine for a long time, and if more power is needed, there are drive bay PSU's that are pretty nice, especially the one from TT.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2006 2:00:19 PM

That is definitely too big of a PSU. According to the following Anandtech article from June 2006, the fisrt generation of DX10 GPU can consume up to 300w of power. That probably started all the crazed rush to install a mini nuclear power plant in each PC.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770

However, the second generation of DX10 GPUs are reportedly going to consume less power than the first generation.

Quote:

As depressing as this news is, there is a small light at the end of the tunnel. Our sources tell us that after this next generation of GPUs we won’t see an increase in power consumption, rather a decrease for the following generation. It seems as if in their intense competition with one another, ATI and NVIDIA have let power consumption get out of hand and will begin reeling it back in starting in the second half of next year.

If you want to run a CF or SLI then that's your business, but I think you are blowing things out of proportions. We'll just have to wait and see when www.xbitlabs.com will measure power consumption of the GeForce 8800 GT/GTX.
October 23, 2006 2:22:21 PM

i agree with all of the above; however i plan on running a peltier cooled system and to do this im going to wire up two powersupplies together there are a lot guides that will tell you how to do this so i wont find a link but try
casemodgod
or
bit-tech
October 23, 2006 5:56:04 PM

Ahhhhh, I've heard about that too. Still, not sure if you really need that. Worse case, just get a nice 700-1kW PSU and buy a drive mounted PSU like the one TT offers. That should be more than enough for anything you can throw in your case, except for maybe growing cannabis...
October 23, 2006 6:06:03 PM

If you really, really want to have a PSU above 1kW, you'd have to search for enterprise server PSU's, like the Zippy M1W4-6D50P (1350W). You'd pay a lot more than for the 1kW enthusiast PSU's too - and may never need it - since around 800 W is quite sufficient. Also note that these PSU's are designed for rack chassis, so it will not fit an a P180 :lol: 

So, yes, if you really want it you can come close to 1.5kW. The question is do you want it that badly?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2006 7:00:25 PM

Bad ass PSU

That should cover it, especially if money is burning your pocket. You can probably find some 5.25" PSu to complement this. but as mentioned, you wont need more then that 72Amps on the 12V is a LOT!
October 23, 2006 7:47:53 PM

That would draw 12.5 amps out of the wall. Thats more than a vacuum cleaner. And then because the efficiency is probably like 70 % It is drawing like 16.25 amps. I don't think an outlet can do that. I think max is like 15 amps and 12 on some. My circuit breaker fuse is only 15 amps to my room. And thats total and I have a lot of stuff. So if you find one look out power bill.
October 23, 2006 8:32:44 PM

I highly doubt he'll be using that much wattage all the time... although it would be funny if everytime he booted into a game he tripped his circuit breaker and his whole room goes into stone age...
October 23, 2006 8:43:05 PM

Ya I also doubt he will ever be able to use all those watts. But If he does he's going to have problems.
October 23, 2006 9:54:22 PM

dont doubt me please, im going to have 4 raptor 15k rpm 16 mb cache hard drives, 2 i-ram2 drives, 1 HD-DVD recorder, 1 DVD recorder, 1 blu ray recorder, SLI, dual PCI express phys-x cards, HD TV tuner, X-fi sounds card(hopefully pci express by the time im done building) and a gaming NIC card... try powering that baby up, my limits 10 grand and im starting my build close to summer

make that quad SLi, and 2nd quad core processor and some other things here and there 8)
a c 139 ) Power supply
October 23, 2006 10:21:15 PM

Quote:
quad SLi and 2nd quad core processor

What motherboard are you trying to cram all that into?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2006 10:21:35 PM

Schhhweeet raptors at 15k, where can I buy them???

Oh and please, spending money for the sake of spending money, dont get a HD recorder and a blueray recorder!!!

Oh and most likely by summer you will screw physic and go for a 3rd card as a PPu...
October 23, 2006 10:23:51 PM

must be the SCSI versions he is referring too. Either way, a quality brand 750 watt PSU will provide plenty of power...
October 23, 2006 11:30:50 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt he'll be using that much wattage all the time... although it would be funny if everytime he booted into a game he tripped his circuit breaker and his whole room goes into stone age...

LOL :lol: 

That would be funny.
October 23, 2006 11:31:32 PM

Wow, WD does not make SCSI drives... missed that... they must have discontinued their SCSI series around the time the 10k Raptors came out...
October 24, 2006 2:08:16 AM

Quote:
dont doubt me please, im going to have 4 raptor 15k rpm 16 mb cache hard drives, 2 i-ram2 drives, 1 HD-DVD recorder, 1 DVD recorder, 1 blu ray recorder, SLI, dual PCI express phys-x cards, HD TV tuner, X-fi sounds card(hopefully pci express by the time im done building) and a gaming NIC card... try powering that baby up, my limits 10 grand and im starting my build close to summer

make that quad SLi, and 2nd quad core processor and some other things here and there 8)

So you're planning on a mobo that supports two quad core CPUs and five PCI express slots... If such a beast were to exist by next summer, then you would need more than the 700 to 800 watts that others here have recommended, assuming that your SLI will use DX-10 GPUs. A ball park guess of the max load would look like this:

CPUs: 200 watts
GPUs: 600 watts
HDs: 40 watts (maybe more if RAIDed)
Opticals: 20 watts
I-RAM: 40 watts ???
DDR2 RAM: 20 watts
Sound card: 15 watts
Physix cards: 150 watts
yada yada: BS watts

--------------

Now, who makes these mobos that have 9 PCI slots? My conclusion is that you are either trolling or are horribly uninformed, possibly both.
October 24, 2006 2:28:33 AM

Quote:
Wow, WD does not make SCSI drives... missed that... they must have discontinued their SCSI series around the time the 10k Raptors came out...

yeah... its the only reason they have raptors in the first place... the only hdd company that could afford to release a drive like that, without hurting the server segment of their business... wd doesnt even have a server segment, so, they had nothing to lose, and everything to gain...

as far as 15k raptors... those more than likely wont appear till around 2008, if not later, not till other companies release 10k consumer drives anyhow (which would necessitate a need for a raptor that much faster)... perpendicular recording too eventually... possibly
October 24, 2006 2:50:54 AM

I have 2k wats in my system...

I got two 1kw Tagans linked. (Tagan can custom a linked PSU setup if you ask them)

I also got an electrician to rewire the house and put in a new fuse box so I can draw more power from the mains and allow each psu their own seperate line in.

You may want to extend your budget to $8.5k (US) or so.

You will need this much power when you run stuff like this:

Quad 7950GX2
6 MCP655s (2 for each line)
18 Delta 12v fans
October 24, 2006 3:01:41 AM

What would you be running that needs 1.5 kw?

If you look at my sig, my mobo REQUIRES 645 watts, plus i have 2 opterons, lots of ram, ati x190xtx, and 4 HDs at the moment. I plan on adding another few HDDs to use as a storage server. On top of that, the PSU is supporting not 1, but 2 internal liquid cooling units. Add in 9 fans (yes, its VERY quiet considering), 2 optical drives and you're looking @ pulling some major wattage, even though i'm NOT maxing this beast out.

Idk what wattage I am pulling, but @ max load, its a lot considering.

I doubt you'd ever need more than a galaxy PSU. If I ever max out this beast, I will let u guys know. I believe you can actually get 1100 to 1200 out of this PSU, at least from what I've read.

WHat I'd love to know is this, what are you using your computer for? There's not out that can take advantage of all that. Are you running autoCAD or somethin? Trying to get fast times on seti? :lol: 
October 24, 2006 3:47:19 AM

my bad about the hard drive, didn't mean raptor, WD is ok but im getting the hitachi 36.7gb 15k rp 16mb cache, there might be better ones out by then but im liking that right now, i decided im gonna get that 1200 watt termalake one that coming soon, thanks to all your help guys, much appreciated :D 
October 24, 2006 5:32:56 AM

TT is just cheap and nasty go with the Tagan or Silver Stone PSUs.

There is alos a gamers edition of the WD raptor...
October 24, 2006 6:30:13 AM

Quote:
Buy the time you would come anywhere neer needing that big of a PSU there will be new revisions to the ATX12V specs that would probably render that PSU unusable. 700w to 800w is all you really need. If you feal like going with SLI on the new 8800 DX10 compatible video cards then all you need is an 800W PSU. Even though SLI and CF are a waiste of money. The price to performance ration is piss poor. Considerind the growth of power needed for each new generation of video cards. I think they will have to come up with some new PSU specs to suport them.

I second that too! The SLI/CF is definately overrated for the price/performance that you get for the money. Like mpilchfamily says, 800w should be more than enough for quite awhile.

I would really say i have to agree, i didnt read though the whole thread but dont spend all your money on 1500w psu and dual video cards.
What i would do is get the fastest single video card availible.

A system like this.

1000w pc power and cooling psu
E6800 C2D cpu
Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 (i think this is the nice one)
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1111 (PC2 8888)
BFG 7950gx2 1gb card
4x150gb WD Raptors in Raid 0+1
And Koolance liquid cooling. that MAYBE puts you at 3500$ then buy a nice Samsung 22" lcd tv/monitor, gaming keyboard/mouse and some nice creative or altec lancing speakers and you might get to 5000$

I think thats wiser spending.
October 24, 2006 9:12:13 AM

i won't lie, it's not, i've always looked at the best technology never price to performance ratio etc, the better technology, weather it was 2 FPS or 11 ping i was interested in it, and wanted it, this computer, im gonna over clock, and benchmark it, and make it one of the fastest in the world, with the help of people like u guys in tomshardware and other sites im useing to research i already emailed maximum and gaming PC im seriously gonna build the ultimate gaming rig
October 24, 2006 12:40:51 PM

Quote:
i won't lie, it's not, i've always looked at the best technology never price to performance ratio etc

Then something doesn't add up. If you've always looked at the best tech then you should be giving advice here not asking for it.
October 24, 2006 5:45:02 PM

lol heh, back about almost 2 years ago i built the PC im useing now, cost me about 3Gs and it's considered crap now, after i built this PC, i stayed into computers but more like a hobby. I repaired my friends' and schools' computers and i've read afew maximum PCs here and there at borders but i havn't been following along that much. Sure i know the basics, the more RPM and cache a hard drive has the better, the more watts in a PSU the better ETC etc but im trying to jump back on the band wagon, and starting learn of the new technologies of today and the soon to be tomorrow.
October 24, 2006 10:30:06 PM

Quote:
Sure i know the basics, the more RPM and cache a hard drive has the better, the more watts in a PSU the better ETC

OK, for a HD that's close enough but not for a PS. Determine your +12V current requirements and get a PS that is at least 15% above your peak +12V current. I like 25% overhead. Next, look at the ripple specs. Less is better. Look for some kind of rail bridging/fusion and make sure you know the total +12V capacity, not just the sum of the rail ratings. Read jonnyguru.com to see his testing methods and results. Once you narrow down your choices, look at efficiency and things like modular or not modular.
October 25, 2006 12:35:13 AM

1500 watts of power at that voltage.... hmmm... your wirers in the wall would start to melt, and then have a fire. You would need a dedicated power line for something like that.

I dont buy these rumors that videocards will require a ton of power. They will be so impractical that everyone who plays computer games would soon find themselves playing XBox.

Hell, The only thing keeping me away from an XBox is the lack of support for a keyboard and mouse in first person shooters. With that said, you could always buy a relay, and use up two 750 or 1000 watt powersupplies. I dont know if your videocard and CPU would work well over any delay a relay has, but you can try.

BTW, I have NO idea how a Relay works, or if it has a delay... hehe.

Mike
October 25, 2006 1:12:14 AM

Most home breakers are 20A at 120volt... or 2400 watts...
So I think modern home wiring would handle a 1500watt PSU...
yet all the while I also think this to is rediculous overkill...
October 25, 2006 1:29:21 AM

Quote:
1500 watts of power at that voltage.... hmmm... your wirers in the wall would start to melt, and then have a fire.

You don't know what you're talking about. 110V 1500 watt bathroom heaters are common. 12/2 interior wire is rated to 20 amps.

Quote:
I dont buy these rumors that videocards will require a ton of power.

But then again, you have zero credibility.

Quote:
BTW, I have NO idea how a Relay works, or if it has a delay... hehe.

That's not surprising.
October 25, 2006 3:02:00 AM

Once again clueless you prove to the world how much of an a....
nevermind not worth it... ignored...
October 25, 2006 5:15:36 AM

wow.... very interesting thread. Well, OP, you really no how to waste money from the looks of it. First off, you will not need more than a KW PSU. And even if by some mircale you manage to use more than that, a primary psu with an addon would be less than buying a 1.5kw psu if you can find one. Secondly, so your in to the latest and greatest, well, in all likely hood, by the time you are acutally able to see a benefit from buying what you propose to buy, it will cost about 25% of what you originally payed for it, and it will be less componets. Come on man, what is the real point of you coming to this forum saying that you are going to waste that kind of money on something that will be worth next to nothing in a years time? If you are trying to set some kind of OC record, it can be done with much less money. This just all seems rather pointless to me. It seems to me that you are probably spending someone elses money, simply because in normal situations people don't get wealthy by wasting money, they end up that way by spending wisely. That is just my opinion though, so that it with a grain of salt.

wes
October 25, 2006 5:36:07 AM

it is someone elses money, my fathers, but im not really wasting it also im not really really doing it for the OC breaking record, more like 50% OC record breaking/showing off, the other 50% is the experiance... im not going out and buying a sweet 10gs alienware, i chose to do this my way, to learn, to make it unique, so i dont look like an idiot when someone asks me wtf a phase changer is and how it works, or whats a solid state hard drive or why u even need a fast HDD etc im hoping building this computer will be sorta a milestone into my new career pathway into computers, im hoping to become an IT for a big company one, a major IT, if i could in a utopia, i would put this acheievement on my resume :lol:  thanks again eveyone for your input
October 25, 2006 8:47:18 AM

Quote:
Once again clueless you prove to the world how much of an a....
nevermind not worth it... ignored...

Too late to ignore, Jelly. Again, your reply was incorrect and incompetent. Facts are facts and one can run 15A devices on a typical home 110V line. Too bad you're too stubborn to admit when you're wrong - but then you'd be mighty busy at that task.
October 25, 2006 10:05:27 AM

I assume that you are a rated electrician?

I also wonder what the future brings, as I currently live in an older unit in AUS, with a single 20 amp CB shared amongst all of my baseboards...

My CB trips a lot. I should go back to a fuse block and wind it with 30A rated wire, but our local electrician says that I then run the risk of burning out the wires. And fire risks... But then he's just an electrician, (master rated) so what does he know?

So... P=IxE, I=20, E=220... 4400 watts total shared in the whole house.

I need to move....

Bugger.
October 25, 2006 10:46:58 AM

Zeal.... let me tell you something, you're being way too overzealous. You don't need that kind of power. I'm using a 1kW PSU and I'll have enough power to keep my rig up when I finally get everything put in it (unfortunately most of it is a bday present but I'm not complaining). This is: 2 xeon 5160s, 2 150GB raptors, 6 1TB deskstars, 6 147GB 15k rpm SCSIs, each set of HDDS with its own dedicated RAID controller, 2x 8800GTs (not GTX, I don't need that power), 16GB FB-DIMMs, DVD +/- DL, blu-ray, hd-dvd and an x-fi. And that only needs like 846 watts (don't quote me on this, I'm too lazy to actually remember the correct number), Add on 4 high performance 120mm fans and that bumps it up to about 860 watts.

In conclusion: YOu don't need that power. If I can survive with less than that will all the crap I'm going to be putting in my comp, you can survive with less than 1kW.
October 25, 2006 11:48:50 AM

Quote:
i won't lie, it's not, i've always looked at the best technology never price to performance ratio etc, the better technology, weather it was 2 FPS or 11 ping i was interested in it, and wanted it, this computer, im gonna over clock, and benchmark it, and make it one of the fastest in the world, with the help of people like u guys in tomshardware and other sites im useing to research i already emailed maximum and gaming PC im seriously gonna build the ultimate gaming rig

I seriously just fell in love with you. i only had 2k to spend so i had to settle for a single video but dual core is way more then enough :o . THrow me about 2k so i can get the scsi 320 setup i want damn it! and get me a galaxy while your at it. wouldnt mind another set of my 1 gig sticks of ram either XD Anyways you should know just because your spending 5k ona computer that doesnt mean youll be able to over clock massivly. It all depends on the quality of the electronics you get. I dont mean brand wise either. I would be interested in seeing the monitor you plan on getting. since SLI is usless unless you plan on doing massive resolutions. This is the next monitor i plan on getting to replace my 24" http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRe... anyways have fun with your build hope you actualy do it ;) 
October 25, 2006 12:25:01 PM

Quote:

Hell, The only thing keeping me away from an XBox is the lack of support for a keyboard and mouse in first person shooters.

Mike

Problem solved, SmartJoy Frag XBOX
October 25, 2006 1:27:06 PM

Quote:
I assume that you are a rated electrician?

Nah. I've built homes while working for certified electricians. But it's not rocket science, ya know? 30 amp breakers are not uncommon for 110V and I've used 100 amp 240 volts breakers.
October 25, 2006 1:51:37 PM

Psh, your puny breakers have nothing on me. Where I work, our circuit breakers are rated for 480V 1600A. I would like to see any of ya'll top that.

Back to the matter at hand... I don't doubt the amount of money and intelligence you have, but when's the last time you took an english class? Your grammar is... at best... high school level, and have you heard of periods? Actually, I'm digressing, but I'm really having a hard time reading your posts. Sorry.

If you just want information on everything, spend an hour a day on sites like Tom's Hardware, [H]OCP, Anandtech, which is what I do and just absorb information. If you read something you don't understand, wiki it, and knowledge will flow to you. Trolling forum's also helps a lot since there are a lot of knowledgeble people here who have been around a long time.

Lastly, back to the PSU matter, don't worry about the wiring to your house, that is the least of your problems. There are 1.1kw and 1.2kw PSU's and if you want them, go for it. But I assure you that you will not top 1kW no matter how crazy you go. If you still insist on money no object and I want everything, go to IBM or a large retailer, and buy a server with redundant load-balancing PSU's. They can take anything you throw at it including the kitchen sink.
October 25, 2006 2:03:17 PM

Quote:
Psh, your puny breakers have nothing on me. Where I work, our circuit breakers are rated for 480V 1600A. I would like to see any of ya'll top that.

Here on Mars, our flux capacitors dissipate terawatts per nanosecond every time the pron war shows are broadcast.
October 25, 2006 2:39:46 PM

haha, very funny. But i'm serious, the substation we have here is rated for 1600Amps at 480V. We even have our own transformer substation on premises since we're an HL&P preferred customer. It's great because when they're overloaded, they'll provide power to hospitals and emergency services first, then to us.

Guess it helps that we pay 16mil a month in electricity...
October 25, 2006 2:52:07 PM

Quote:
haha, very funny. But i'm serious, the substation we have here is rated for 1600Amps at 480V. We even have our own transformer substation on premises since we're an HL&P preferred customer. It's great because when they're overloaded, they'll provide power to hospitals and emergency services first, then to us.

Guess it helps that we pay 16mil a month in electricity...

You mean you think I'm teasing about our flux capacitors? I overclocked the ZD23c bank myself. The cow nearly jumped over the moon.
October 25, 2006 2:57:41 PM

Great, looks like I have to prepare for war now. Where is the lady playing the horrible song from that old-school phonogram in Las Vegas (When Mars Attacks allusion, although I haven't seen that movie in a long time so I might be off)

Or I'll just germ myself up and infect all of you with the common cold and watch as ya'll die off... (War of the Worlds allusion, this should be easier)

Or better yet, I'll bust out with my Death Stark Mk. III and Mars will be blown to bits in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
October 25, 2006 3:14:47 PM

He doesn't say where in the world he is located. In europe we have 230V power, and with a 20A fuse, that gives 4.6kW.

Anyway, if money is no object: Why not remove the graphics subsystem from the case, as nVidia has done with the Plex system.

See http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

That way he gets better performance and makes the cooling, power and PCI-E congestion less troublesome. That way a 700W power supply is enough.
October 25, 2006 4:13:54 PM

Quote:
Or I'll just germ myself up and infect all of you with the common cold and watch as ya'll die off... (War of the Worlds allusion, this should be easier)

Too late. We cross-compiled all known antivirus software, extensively tested the result on the Planetary beta of Worlds of Viruscraft and are now fully protected. I could spend a weekend carousing the brothels of your New Orleans and fly away squeaky clean. I'll sell you a copy of our anti-spyware product for only $29.99 but shipping to Earth is $34,999,999 via next year air.

Quote:
Or better yet, I'll bust out with my Death Stark Mk. III and Mars will be blown to bits in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

You forgot about our new flux capacitor tech. Warning! Resistance is futile. Would you like a donut before you expire?
October 26, 2006 3:35:16 AM

Quote:
dont doubt me please, im going to have 4 raptor 15k rpm 16 mb cache hard drives, 2 i-ram2 drives, 1 HD-DVD recorder, 1 DVD recorder, 1 blu ray recorder, SLI, dual PCI express phys-x cards, HD TV tuner, X-fi sounds card(hopefully pci express by the time im done building) and a gaming NIC card... try powering that baby up, my limits 10 grand and im starting my build close to summer make that quad SLi, and 2nd quad core processor and some other things here and there

Hmmm... I smell a troll. First it's five grand, now it's ten grand, specifying to phys-X cards when only one is supported, specifying more PCI equipment than most motherboards have slots, etc.

Sorry, maybe not a troll, maybe you just need to buy a few vowels to put all this together. You need to read the forums for a few weeks. I mean really, REALLY read the stuff until you get it. All the forums. And try a few other specialized forums beyond here to learn more about key things like storage and graphics. You have to start gaining an understanding of what you can do, and how you can do it. Just stuffing a bunch of expensive hardware into a garish case because Dad's paying for it, might be a fun penis-wagging experience for you but you'll be frustrated trying to get it all working, and disappointed with the outcome. You'd be better off handing ten grand blind to the local Asian PC chop shop and telling 'em to do ya' right.

Seriously, spend all the money you want. That's great, it's what keeps America's economy going. Spend! But if all you're going to do is throw it away, throw it in my direction why dontcha'...

Go ahead and build your box. Load it with as much RAM as the motherboard can hold (at least 8GB), subtract one i-RAM, add a dedicated RAID controller with a big battery backed cache, knock one Phys-X off your shopping list, and make sure you have a motherboard with enough PCIe slots (and lanes!) and enough PCI-X slots to support all the crap you're gonna put on the bus, and make sure the video cards you spec will get along OK with it all. Take pictures when you're done and post 'em here.

And you still won't need a kilowatt.

Lotsa' luck,
-Brad
!