1500 watt PSU???

Zeal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Is there any? im building a PC, i have about 5000 bucks to spend on it, but i want it upgradable in the future, and number thing that u need to have compatiable when upgrading is power supply, so i dont want to settle for the 1kw PSU i want a 1.5kw PSU that'll last me for a pretty long time, thank you in advance.

Buy the time you would come anywhere neer needing that big of a PSU there will be new revisions to the ATX12V specs that would probably render that PSU unusable. 700w to 800w is all you really need. If you feal like going with SLI on the new 8800 DX10 compatible video cards then all you need is an 800W PSU. Even though SLI and CF are a waiste of money. The price to performance ration is piss poor. Considerind the growth of power needed for each new generation of video cards. I think they will have to come up with some new PSU specs to suport them.

I second that too! The SLI/CF is definately overrated for the price/performance that you get for the money. Like mpilchfamily says, 800w should be more than enough for quite awhile.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It would be a sad day when gas generators can't even power a damn computer...

But no, 1500W is way too much. 700W should be just fine for a long time, and if more power is needed, there are drive bay PSU's that are pretty nice, especially the one from TT.

That is definitely too big of a PSU. According to the following Anandtech article from June 2006, the fisrt generation of DX10 GPU can consume up to 300w of power. That probably started all the crazed rush to install a mini nuclear power plant in each PC.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770

However, the second generation of DX10 GPUs are reportedly going to consume less power than the first generation.

As depressing as this news is, there is a small light at the end of the tunnel. Our sources tell us that after this next generation of GPUs we won’t see an increase in power consumption, rather a decrease for the following generation. It seems as if in their intense competition with one another, ATI and NVIDIA have let power consumption get out of hand and will begin reeling it back in starting in the second half of next year.

If you want to run a CF or SLI then that's your business, but I think you are blowing things out of proportions. We'll just have to wait and see when www.xbitlabs.com will measure power consumption of the GeForce 8800 GT/GTX.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i agree with all of the above; however i plan on running a peltier cooled system and to do this im going to wire up two powersupplies together there are a lot guides that will tell you how to do this so i wont find a link but try
casemodgod
or
bit-tech

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ahhhhh, I've heard about that too. Still, not sure if you really need that. Worse case, just get a nice 700-1kW PSU and buy a drive mounted PSU like the one TT offers. That should be more than enough for anything you can throw in your case, except for maybe growing cannabis...

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
If you really, really want to have a PSU above 1kW, you'd have to search for enterprise server PSU's, like the Zippy M1W4-6D50P (1350W). You'd pay a lot more than for the 1kW enthusiast PSU's too - and may never need it - since around 800 W is quite sufficient. Also note that these PSU's are designed for rack chassis, so it will not fit an a P180 :lol:

So, yes, if you really want it you can come close to 1.5kW. The question is do you want it that badly?

G

Bad ass PSU

That should cover it, especially if money is burning your pocket. You can probably find some 5.25" PSu to complement this. but as mentioned, you wont need more then that 72Amps on the 12V is a LOT!

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
That would draw 12.5 amps out of the wall. Thats more than a vacuum cleaner. And then because the efficiency is probably like 70 % It is drawing like 16.25 amps. I don't think an outlet can do that. I think max is like 15 amps and 12 on some. My circuit breaker fuse is only 15 amps to my room. And thats total and I have a lot of stuff. So if you find one look out power bill.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I highly doubt he'll be using that much wattage all the time... although it would be funny if everytime he booted into a game he tripped his circuit breaker and his whole room goes into stone age...

Zeal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
dont doubt me please, im going to have 4 raptor 15k rpm 16 mb cache hard drives, 2 i-ram2 drives, 1 HD-DVD recorder, 1 DVD recorder, 1 blu ray recorder, SLI, dual PCI express phys-x cards, HD TV tuner, X-fi sounds card(hopefully pci express by the time im done building) and a gaming NIC card... try powering that baby up, my limits 10 grand and im starting my build close to summer

make that quad SLi, and 2nd quad core processor and some other things here and there 8)

G

Schhhweeet raptors at 15k, where can I buy them???

Oh and please, spending money for the sake of spending money, dont get a HD recorder and a blueray recorder!!!

Oh and most likely by summer you will screw physic and go for a 3rd card as a PPu...

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I highly doubt he'll be using that much wattage all the time... although it would be funny if everytime he booted into a game he tripped his circuit breaker and his whole room goes into stone age...

LOL :lol:

That would be funny.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
dont doubt me please, im going to have 4 raptor 15k rpm 16 mb cache hard drives, 2 i-ram2 drives, 1 HD-DVD recorder, 1 DVD recorder, 1 blu ray recorder, SLI, dual PCI express phys-x cards, HD TV tuner, X-fi sounds card(hopefully pci express by the time im done building) and a gaming NIC card... try powering that baby up, my limits 10 grand and im starting my build close to summer

make that quad SLi, and 2nd quad core processor and some other things here and there 8)

So you're planning on a mobo that supports two quad core CPUs and five PCI express slots... If such a beast were to exist by next summer, then you would need more than the 700 to 800 watts that others here have recommended, assuming that your SLI will use DX-10 GPUs. A ball park guess of the max load would look like this:

CPUs: 200 watts
GPUs: 600 watts
HDs: 40 watts (maybe more if RAIDed)
Opticals: 20 watts
I-RAM: 40 watts ???
DDR2 RAM: 20 watts
Sound card: 15 watts
Physix cards: 150 watts
yada yada: BS watts

--------------

Now, who makes these mobos that have 9 PCI slots? My conclusion is that you are either trolling or are horribly uninformed, possibly both.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Wow, WD does not make SCSI drives... missed that... they must have discontinued their SCSI series around the time the 10k Raptors came out...

yeah... its the only reason they have raptors in the first place... the only hdd company that could afford to release a drive like that, without hurting the server segment of their business... wd doesnt even have a server segment, so, they had nothing to lose, and everything to gain...

as far as 15k raptors... those more than likely wont appear till around 2008, if not later, not till other companies release 10k consumer drives anyhow (which would necessitate a need for a raptor that much faster)... perpendicular recording too eventually... possibly

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I have 2k wats in my system...

I got two 1kw Tagans linked. (Tagan can custom a linked PSU setup if you ask them)

I also got an electrician to rewire the house and put in a new fuse box so I can draw more power from the mains and allow each psu their own seperate line in.

You may want to extend your budget to $8.5k (US) or so.

You will need this much power when you run stuff like this:

Quad 7950GX2
6 MCP655s (2 for each line)
18 Delta 12v fans

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
What would you be running that needs 1.5 kw?

If you look at my sig, my mobo REQUIRES 645 watts, plus i have 2 opterons, lots of ram, ati x190xtx, and 4 HDs at the moment. I plan on adding another few HDDs to use as a storage server. On top of that, the PSU is supporting not 1, but 2 internal liquid cooling units. Add in 9 fans (yes, its VERY quiet considering), 2 optical drives and you're looking @ pulling some major wattage, even though i'm NOT maxing this beast out.

Idk what wattage I am pulling, but @ max load, its a lot considering.

I doubt you'd ever need more than a galaxy PSU. If I ever max out this beast, I will let u guys know. I believe you can actually get 1100 to 1200 out of this PSU, at least from what I've read.

WHat I'd love to know is this, what are you using your computer for? There's not out that can take advantage of all that. Are you running autoCAD or somethin? Trying to get fast times on seti? :lol:

Zeal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
my bad about the hard drive, didn't mean raptor, WD is ok but im getting the hitachi 36.7gb 15k rp 16mb cache, there might be better ones out by then but im liking that right now, i decided im gonna get that 1200 watt termalake one that coming soon, thanks to all your help guys, much appreciated :D