kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
My creative "value" 5.1 setup is burnin out after a few years of usage and abusage. I got an Audigy 4 recently and I'd like to match it up with a nice (but not too expensive) set of 5.1 speakers. I'm open to suggestions as well on wheather or not 7.1 is really alot better. I've never experienced 7.1 so have no clue.

I will be using them for gaming and music listening (not recording or monitors).

My price range is roughly within 150-200 USD.

Thanks for any advice.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I completely agree with akahuddy. I have the X-530 and man o man can i tell how good they sound when playing BF 2. Crank those babies up and they do not FAIL! best thing of all they cost 50$!!! ONLY 50!

dont waste money on an expensive sound system when a 50$ can do the same.

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for the insight!

I was hoping this might happen. However, it would be nice to hear a second opinion from anyone who has spent a little more money on a nicer set. I just want to be sure there isn't that much of a difference and I feel like the Audigy 4 might be better matched with something better.

Then again I could be wrong. Anyone?

OK,Ive never heard the 530's nor the 5300's,but I do own a set of kickazz loud thumpin,fairly sweet and pure 5500z's.A lil more than 200 but they hold their own with most systems which usually go for 300+ or more

R4T

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
i've been using the logitech z-5300 for over 2 years now, logitech replaced my old speakers which i forgot the model number but i'll tell you this much.... logitech keeps their clients happy instead of sending me the old speakers they sent me the new model which was the z-5300. very nice sound and nothing to complain about using them with the audigy 2 zs nice combanitation. here i found a price range for them on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121121

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
What about Klipsch? Might be a little out of the price range. Those Logitech things are very nice. I'm no audiophile, but I didn't notice a thing moving from 2.0 with onboard to 5.1 with a SB Audigy Gamer. Maybe a little louder...The Logitech speakers look amazing, though.

~Ibrahim~

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Personally I have the Logitech 5500 set, and though you may have caught the information on your own, no one has said it yet so I will. The Creative speakers do not come with a built in digital decoder, while the Logotech 5500's do. If you were to go with Creative speakers, or for that matter a lot of other brands, any kind of digital decoder might cost you extra. The Logitech 5500's have the decoder built in. The one thing that I was disappointed with was that the 5500's only came with the standard Left/Right/Center cable. No digital coax cable, and no optical cable. Now the optical cable you can get from Radio Shack, but I had to go a little further afield to find the digital coax. If you don't have the platinum version of the Audigy card then you would need the digital coax cable to be able to utilize the full capability's of the speaker system. You can find it here. A 3 meter cable runs $30.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DCC-2

The speakers- $263.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121120

Now both items would put you at $304, which is $104 bucks over what you stated is your budget, and that does not include the shipping. And finally to round the whole thing out, Newegg doesn't tell you on the site that the speakers with their shipping box weigh 60 lbs. You get that info on the manifest recipt in your email. But was it worth it? In my personal opinion? YES. These speakers beat the crap out of the old Cambridge Soundworks I used to use. So have fun, and if you should decide to kick the extra money and buy the Logitech, then enjoy.

hannibal

Distinguished

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Wires on the speakers are probably for power. Maybe not. Some of the first wireless speakers needed wires for power which cleary negates the use of wireless speakers. It is like getting a cell phone that has to plug into the wall at all times.

~Ibrahim~

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
The remote is the part that is wireless. The speakers are not.

The digital coax would allow you to use the Dolby Digital capability's of the speakers built in decoder. Without it you would be using the analog channel which doesn't sound bad to me, but I just like using the full capability's of the equipment I have

Built-in hardware decoding for Dolby Digital & DTS
10” long throw subwoofer driver w/flared bass port pounds out powerful distortion-free bass
Support for 96 kHz/24 bit digital audio streams
Dolby Pro Logic II creates realistic 5.1 surround sound from stereo music, movies & games
6 channel direct input can be used as 3 separate stereo inputs

Also, some of the reviews on Newegg mention that the subwoofer is like having a CRT monitor under your desk, and their more or less correct so if space is an issue, then it is something else to think about. My sub measures, 13"x13.5"x17"

halcyon

Splendid
As long as you understand the constraints that all current PC speakers have, I'd recommend something like the Logitech Z-5300's w/in your budget. With a 5.1 PC speaker setup you are, indeed, sacrifcing something in individual speaker quality but for your intended use and budget I'm sure you're aware of this.

I remember when I was considering the Z-5500's (which have now had for a couple of months) and some told me that they were junk with low dispersion, etc. I myself even wrote a lot of negative comments about them prior to owning a set. Realistically, none of these types of speakers are going to be really really great or better than your mid-fi home theater kits. ...but the Creative GigaWorks S750 may be the contender for best multi-channel PC speakers about. ...and they seem to be built better than the Klipsch 5.1 kit. ...but they're more speakers than you need and out of your stated price range right now.

BUT...but the Z-5500's certainly are a tremendously fun sounding set for personal surround loudspeakers with way more bass than I'll ever be permitted to use in my residence. The bass can kill or neutralize bacteria on nearby walls. While I'd highly recommend listening to the Z-5500's I know they're out of your price range right now, as well. ...but it's a nice system, especially with its nicely made DD/DTS decoder.

I imagine the Z-5500's little brothers, the Z-5300's probably do quite well too, at their price, and would point you in their direction. Paired with an X-Fi or other contemporary 5.1+ audio card you'll likely be in for tremendous audio enjoyment. I think if you go lower than the Z-5300's you'll shortly want to upgrade.

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hey thanks. I didn't see those at first since they are out of stock (and at the bottom of the list). But I think I can wait for these. I hardly get to buy something that is below my price range. Maybe it'll make up for all the other times I over-spent on electronics. :roll:

MiguelOne

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
As long as you understand the constraints that all current PC speakers have, I'd recommend something like the Logitech Z-5300's w/in your budget. With a 5.1 PC speaker setup you are, indeed, sacrifcing something in individual speaker quality but for your intended use and budget I'm sure you're aware of this.

I remember when I was considering the Z-5500's (which have now had for a couple of months) and some told me that they were junk with low dispersion, etc. I myself even wrote a lot of negative comments about them prior to owning a set. Realistically, none of these types of speakers are going to be really really great or better than your mid-fi home theater kits. ...but the Creative GigaWorks S750 may be the contender for best multi-channel PC speakers about. ...and they seem to be built better than the Klipsch 5.1 kit. ...but they're more speakers than you need and out of your stated price range right now.

BUT...but the Z-5500's certainly are a tremendously fun sounding set for personal surround loudspeakers with way more bass than I'll ever be permitted to use in my residence. The bass can kill or neutralize bacteria on nearby walls. While I'd highly recommend listening to the Z-5500's I know they're out of your price range right now, as well. ...but it's a nice system, especially with its nicely made DD/DTS decoder.

I imagine the Z-5500's little brothers, the Z-5300's probably do quite well too, at their price, and would point you in their direction. Paired with an X-Fi or other contemporary 5.1+ audio card you'll likely be in for tremendous audio enjoyment. I think if you go lower than the Z-5300's you'll shortly want to upgrade.

i dont mean to take over anyone's thread but...Is the builtin DTS/DD decoder of the Z5500 better than the one built in for the Xfi?...any difference?

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
I've had the Z-5300's for about 2 months now. I COULD have gotten the Z-5500's but in my opinion their overkill, at least for the size of my small room. The performance of the Z-5300's can't be beat for that price. If your not looking to break your wallet this is the way to go. I actually started playing some old games again just because they sounded so good. Yes, their THAT good.

halcyon

Splendid

i dont mean to take over anyone's thread but...Is the builtin DTS/DD decoder of the Z5500 better than the one built in for the Xfi?...any difference?

Unfortunately the X-Fi does NOT have a built in DTS/DD decoder at all...one of its painful omissions.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Wires on the speakers are probably for power. Maybe not. Some of the first wireless speakers needed wires for power which cleary negates the use of wireless speakers. It is like getting a cell phone that has to plug into the wall at all times.

~Ibrahim~

I think you're way off on this comment... most people have electrical outlets on all the walls in their houses... but no one has run cable for audio. So getting rid of the audio cable going to the speakers is a huge deal... definitely makes for an easier setup. Of course they have to be plugged into power... you really think a pair of AA batteries is going to create some good surround sound effects?

Personally, I want that set of Logitech "wireless" speakers.

UC7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I personally chose to go wth something in between the power of the z5500 and the z5300. I purchased the Creative ProGamer g500 5.1 speakers. If you look hard enough, you can find these for less than 200 bucks and they are very nice speakers.
I was a bit hesitant to go with the Creative brand for the speakers (never having used them before), but I have not been disappointed. They play music well and are great for games. The system has 310W RMS, and a good balance for its speaker frequencies.

As to your 7.1 question... I personally find no benefit from 7.1 unless it is in a larger room. I would recommend 7.1 for anyone setting up a home theater in a room that has the length to support it. If your computer is in a den, or bedroom, you will likely not gain much benefit from going to 7.1. Note, I didn't say "no" benefit, just likely not enough to matter.

halcyon

Splendid
?? i thought it did.

X-fi Platinum

but yeah i dont notice any difference turning the external/internal decoders on and off...

I think that's via software S/PDIF decoding pass-through from provided/included DVD-player software. ...not hardware-based as in the Auzentech Xplosion/TurtleBeach Montego DDL. I'm gonna dig deeper because I've heard it both ways and I want to know for sure so I'm not misinforming folks!

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I have a Logitech X-530 setup also and it is awsome! It's cheap and 5.1.
My mom thought there was something in the house when I was listening to Lord of the Rings :D :D :D

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I agree with that comment for sure. I am content with my 2.1 set up for now but after hearing multiple systems including my own 5.1 Dolby system... I am now a Logitech Fanboy.... :oops: