Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me choose 5.1 speakers

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Speakers
  • Creative
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
October 23, 2006 4:08:00 AM

My creative "value" 5.1 setup is burnin out after a few years of usage and abusage. I got an Audigy 4 recently and I'd like to match it up with a nice (but not too expensive) set of 5.1 speakers. I'm open to suggestions as well on wheather or not 7.1 is really alot better. I've never experienced 7.1 so have no clue.

I will be using them for gaming and music listening (not recording or monitors).

My price range is roughly within 150-200 USD.

Thanks for any advice.

More about : choose speakers

October 23, 2006 5:16:20 AM

I completely agree with akahuddy. I have the X-530 and man o man can i tell how good they sound when playing BF 2. Crank those babies up and they do not FAIL! best thing of all they cost 50$!!! ONLY 50!

dont waste money on an expensive sound system when a 50$ can do the same.
Related resources
October 23, 2006 2:15:05 PM

Thanks for the insight!

I was hoping this might happen. However, it would be nice to hear a second opinion from anyone who has spent a little more money on a nicer set. I just want to be sure there isn't that much of a difference and I feel like the Audigy 4 might be better matched with something better.

Then again I could be wrong. Anyone?
October 23, 2006 2:50:15 PM

OK,Ive never heard the 530's nor the 5300's,but I do own a set of kickazz loud thumpin,fairly sweet and pure 5500z's.A lil more than 200 but they hold their own with most systems which usually go for 300+ or more
October 23, 2006 3:03:28 PM

i've been using the logitech z-5300 for over 2 years now, logitech replaced my old speakers which i forgot the model number but i'll tell you this much.... logitech keeps their clients happy instead of sending me the old speakers they sent me the new model which was the z-5300. very nice sound and nothing to complain about using them with the audigy 2 zs nice combanitation. here i found a price range for them on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
October 23, 2006 3:42:28 PM

What about Klipsch? Might be a little out of the price range. Those Logitech things are very nice. I'm no audiophile, but I didn't notice a thing moving from 2.0 with onboard to 5.1 with a SB Audigy Gamer. Maybe a little louder...The Logitech speakers look amazing, though.

~Ibrahim~
October 23, 2006 3:55:49 PM

I have the Z-5500's...I would recommend them to anyone...simply awesome.
October 23, 2006 5:03:25 PM

Personally I have the Logitech 5500 set, and though you may have caught the information on your own, no one has said it yet so I will. The Creative speakers do not come with a built in digital decoder, while the Logotech 5500's do. If you were to go with Creative speakers, or for that matter a lot of other brands, any kind of digital decoder might cost you extra. The Logitech 5500's have the decoder built in. The one thing that I was disappointed with was that the 5500's only came with the standard Left/Right/Center cable. No digital coax cable, and no optical cable. Now the optical cable you can get from Radio Shack, but I had to go a little further afield to find the digital coax. If you don't have the platinum version of the Audigy card then you would need the digital coax cable to be able to utilize the full capability's of the speaker system. You can find it here. A 3 meter cable runs $30.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-...

The speakers- $263.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

Now both items would put you at $304, which is $104 bucks over what you stated is your budget, and that does not include the shipping. And finally to round the whole thing out, Newegg doesn't tell you on the site that the speakers with their shipping box weigh 60 lbs. You get that info on the manifest recipt in your email. But was it worth it? In my personal opinion? YES. These speakers beat the crap out of the old Cambridge Soundworks I used to use. So have fun, and if you should decide to kick the extra money and buy the Logitech, then enjoy.
October 23, 2006 5:03:27 PM

Gelelec 6020 or 8020 + 5050 or 7050 (or 7060 for big bass!) subwoofer from the same maker. They are studio guality speakers. Aluminum box with highend amplifier... Gotta love them! Hmm... but they are somewhat prisey...

http://www.genelec.com/products/8020a/8020a.php
http://www.genelec.com/products/7050b/7050b.php

http://www.genelecusa.com/ht/news/play_6020.php

http://www.genelecusa.com/ht/products/6020a/6020a.php
http://www.genelecusa.com/ht/products/5050a/5050a.php
October 23, 2006 5:04:49 PM

Been runnin Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 for a couple years now. Games movies both sound great.
October 23, 2006 5:24:04 PM

I guess I could have been more specific about my current sound card:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Looking at the setup you suggested is very tempting but why do I need the digital coax cable again? What would I miss out on without it?

Also, strange how in the specs on newegg it says they are wireless but the pictures clearly have wires on all satellites.

I really appreciate the help!
October 23, 2006 5:32:54 PM

Wires on the speakers are probably for power. Maybe not. Some of the first wireless speakers needed wires for power which cleary negates the use of wireless speakers. It is like getting a cell phone that has to plug into the wall at all times.

~Ibrahim~
October 23, 2006 5:44:25 PM

The remote is the part that is wireless. The speakers are not.

The digital coax would allow you to use the Dolby Digital capability's of the speakers built in decoder. Without it you would be using the analog channel which doesn't sound bad to me, but I just like using the full capability's of the equipment I have

Built-in hardware decoding for Dolby Digital & DTS
10” long throw subwoofer driver w/flared bass port pounds out powerful distortion-free bass
Support for 96 kHz/24 bit digital audio streams
Dolby Pro Logic II creates realistic 5.1 surround sound from stereo music, movies & games
6 channel direct input can be used as 3 separate stereo inputs


Also, some of the reviews on Newegg mention that the subwoofer is like having a CRT monitor under your desk, and their more or less correct so if space is an issue, then it is something else to think about. My sub measures, 13"x13.5"x17"
October 23, 2006 7:25:03 PM

As long as you understand the constraints that all current PC speakers have, I'd recommend something like the Logitech Z-5300's w/in your budget. With a 5.1 PC speaker setup you are, indeed, sacrifcing something in individual speaker quality but for your intended use and budget I'm sure you're aware of this.

I remember when I was considering the Z-5500's (which have now had for a couple of months) and some told me that they were junk with low dispersion, etc. I myself even wrote a lot of negative comments about them prior to owning a set. Realistically, none of these types of speakers are going to be really really great or better than your mid-fi home theater kits. ...but the Creative GigaWorks S750 may be the contender for best multi-channel PC speakers about. ...and they seem to be built better than the Klipsch 5.1 kit. ...but they're more speakers than you need and out of your stated price range right now.

BUT...but the Z-5500's certainly are a tremendously fun sounding set for personal surround loudspeakers with way more bass than I'll ever be permitted to use in my residence. The bass can kill or neutralize bacteria on nearby walls. While I'd highly recommend listening to the Z-5500's I know they're out of your price range right now, as well. ...but it's a nice system, especially with its nicely made DD/DTS decoder.

I imagine the Z-5500's little brothers, the Z-5300's probably do quite well too, at their price, and would point you in their direction. Paired with an X-Fi or other contemporary 5.1+ audio card you'll likely be in for tremendous audio enjoyment. I think if you go lower than the Z-5300's you'll shortly want to upgrade.
October 23, 2006 8:17:58 PM

Hey thanks. I didn't see those at first since they are out of stock (and at the bottom of the list). But I think I can wait for these. I hardly get to buy something that is below my price range. Maybe it'll make up for all the other times I over-spent on electronics. :roll:
October 25, 2006 10:06:31 PM

Quote:
As long as you understand the constraints that all current PC speakers have, I'd recommend something like the Logitech Z-5300's w/in your budget. With a 5.1 PC speaker setup you are, indeed, sacrifcing something in individual speaker quality but for your intended use and budget I'm sure you're aware of this.

I remember when I was considering the Z-5500's (which have now had for a couple of months) and some told me that they were junk with low dispersion, etc. I myself even wrote a lot of negative comments about them prior to owning a set. Realistically, none of these types of speakers are going to be really really great or better than your mid-fi home theater kits. ...but the Creative GigaWorks S750 may be the contender for best multi-channel PC speakers about. ...and they seem to be built better than the Klipsch 5.1 kit. ...but they're more speakers than you need and out of your stated price range right now.

BUT...but the Z-5500's certainly are a tremendously fun sounding set for personal surround loudspeakers with way more bass than I'll ever be permitted to use in my residence. The bass can kill or neutralize bacteria on nearby walls. While I'd highly recommend listening to the Z-5500's I know they're out of your price range right now, as well. ...but it's a nice system, especially with its nicely made DD/DTS decoder.

I imagine the Z-5500's little brothers, the Z-5300's probably do quite well too, at their price, and would point you in their direction. Paired with an X-Fi or other contemporary 5.1+ audio card you'll likely be in for tremendous audio enjoyment. I think if you go lower than the Z-5300's you'll shortly want to upgrade.


i dont mean to take over anyone's thread but...Is the builtin DTS/DD decoder of the Z5500 better than the one built in for the Xfi?...any difference?
October 25, 2006 10:36:32 PM

I've had the Z-5300's for about 2 months now. I COULD have gotten the Z-5500's but in my opinion their overkill, at least for the size of my small room. The performance of the Z-5300's can't be beat for that price. If your not looking to break your wallet this is the way to go. I actually started playing some old games again just because they sounded so good. Yes, their THAT good.
October 26, 2006 9:10:25 AM

Quote:
As long as you understand the constraints that all current PC speakers have, I'd recommend something like the Logitech Z-5300's w/in your budget. With a 5.1 PC speaker setup you are, indeed, sacrifcing something in individual speaker quality but for your intended use and budget I'm sure you're aware of this.

I remember when I was considering the Z-5500's (which have now had for a couple of months) and some told me that they were junk with low dispersion, etc. I myself even wrote a lot of negative comments about them prior to owning a set. Realistically, none of these types of speakers are going to be really really great or better than your mid-fi home theater kits. ...but the Creative GigaWorks S750 may be the contender for best multi-channel PC speakers about. ...and they seem to be built better than the Klipsch 5.1 kit. ...but they're more speakers than you need and out of your stated price range right now.

BUT...but the Z-5500's certainly are a tremendously fun sounding set for personal surround loudspeakers with way more bass than I'll ever be permitted to use in my residence. The bass can kill or neutralize bacteria on nearby walls. While I'd highly recommend listening to the Z-5500's I know they're out of your price range right now, as well. ...but it's a nice system, especially with its nicely made DD/DTS decoder.

I imagine the Z-5500's little brothers, the Z-5300's probably do quite well too, at their price, and would point you in their direction. Paired with an X-Fi or other contemporary 5.1+ audio card you'll likely be in for tremendous audio enjoyment. I think if you go lower than the Z-5300's you'll shortly want to upgrade.


i dont mean to take over anyone's thread but...Is the builtin DTS/DD decoder of the Z5500 better than the one built in for the Xfi?...any difference?

Unfortunately the X-Fi does NOT have a built in DTS/DD decoder at all...one of its painful omissions.
October 26, 2006 2:00:25 PM

?? i thought it did.

X-fi Platinum


but yeah i dont notice any difference turning the external/internal decoders on and off...
October 26, 2006 2:44:25 PM

Quote:
Wires on the speakers are probably for power. Maybe not. Some of the first wireless speakers needed wires for power which cleary negates the use of wireless speakers. It is like getting a cell phone that has to plug into the wall at all times.

~Ibrahim~


I think you're way off on this comment... most people have electrical outlets on all the walls in their houses... but no one has run cable for audio. So getting rid of the audio cable going to the speakers is a huge deal... definitely makes for an easier setup. Of course they have to be plugged into power... you really think a pair of AA batteries is going to create some good surround sound effects?

Personally, I want that set of Logitech "wireless" speakers.
October 26, 2006 2:54:34 PM

I personally chose to go wth something in between the power of the z5500 and the z5300. I purchased the Creative ProGamer g500 5.1 speakers. If you look hard enough, you can find these for less than 200 bucks and they are very nice speakers.
I was a bit hesitant to go with the Creative brand for the speakers (never having used them before), but I have not been disappointed. They play music well and are great for games. The system has 310W RMS, and a good balance for its speaker frequencies.

As to your 7.1 question... I personally find no benefit from 7.1 unless it is in a larger room. I would recommend 7.1 for anyone setting up a home theater in a room that has the length to support it. If your computer is in a den, or bedroom, you will likely not gain much benefit from going to 7.1. Note, I didn't say "no" benefit, just likely not enough to matter.
October 26, 2006 3:05:10 PM

Quote:
?? i thought it did.

X-fi Platinum


but yeah i dont notice any difference turning the external/internal decoders on and off...


I think that's via software S/PDIF decoding pass-through from provided/included DVD-player software. ...not hardware-based as in the Auzentech Xplosion/TurtleBeach Montego DDL. I'm gonna dig deeper because I've heard it both ways and I want to know for sure so I'm not misinforming folks!
October 26, 2006 3:40:21 PM

I have a Logitech X-530 setup also and it is awsome! It's cheap and 5.1.
My mom thought there was something in the house when I was listening to Lord of the Rings :D  :D  :D 
October 26, 2006 4:15:17 PM

I agree with that comment for sure. I am content with my 2.1 set up for now but after hearing multiple systems including my own 5.1 Dolby system... I am now a Logitech Fanboy.... :oops: 
October 26, 2006 4:50:36 PM

Quote:
I have Logitech X-530's and I love them! I use them for music, games, and movies. I cranked them up to approximately 75% volume while watching a battle sequence in the Lord of the Rings and my roomate heard them from downstairs in our dorm. They're currently $54 on Newegg.


I second that Akahuddy. I have the X-530s and they are way better than their price suggests. Don't bother wasting money on 300+ watt systems when the lesser price systems provide excellent sound at ear splitting volumes.

I think I should go into advertising, not engineering.
-cm
October 26, 2006 5:01:06 PM

So you're advice is that the X-530's are the pinnacle of PC multi-channel loudspeakers and that the Z-5xxx series, Klipsch Ultra 5.1, and Creative GigaWorks 750's are the same thing...just more money...and therefore just a waste? Okay.

:?
October 26, 2006 5:01:34 PM

im putting in another vote for investing in a hometheatre digital amplifier and bookshelves/powered sub or floorstanding speakers and an optional powered sub, and you can find those for the same price range as standard brand name pc speaker sets... for a pair/sub/amp... the sound quality will go unmatched (compared to pc speakers), unless you go investing in an all in one HT set, with all the speakers, and amp and such in one box... i guess appropriately label a home theatre in a box, lol

with pc speaker sets, youre making a sacrifice in sound quality, all around, the manufacturers make sacrifices in how things sound when they go shrinking the speakers that much, reducing their weight as a result too, so theyll fit with office decor better, on a desk and such, all around just being able to be positioned better... but again, overall sound quality, dispersion, and tonal accuracy, as a result, is sacrificed.
October 26, 2006 5:06:04 PM

Quote:
im putting in another vote for investing in a hometheatre digital amplifier and bookshelves/powered sub or floorstanding speakers and an optional powered sub, and you can find those for the same price range as standard pc speaker sets... for a pair/sub/amp... the sound quality will go unmatched (compared to pc speakers), unless you go investing in an all in one HT set, with all the speakers, and amp and such in one box... i guess appropriately label a home theatre in a box, lol

with pc speaker sets, youre making a sacrifice in sound quality, all around, the manufacturers make sacrifices in how things sound when they go shrinking the speakers that much, reducing their weight as a result too, so theyll fit with office decor better, on a desk and such, all around just being able to be positioned better... but again, overall sound quality and dispersion, tonal accuracy, as a result, is sacrificed.


Thanks dude. Choir, can you put together an example of a 5.1 home theater system, with receiver, bookshelves, & sub for say $300 with new components. That example might help people not just assume that the Klipsch Ultra 5.1's and their counterparts are the pinnacle of PC audio for the same money.

This is not a great example, but it is an example...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebvJlb8m7as/cgi-bin/ProdVi...
October 26, 2006 5:15:21 PM

was gonna say lol, $250 might be a squeeze, but i think i might be able to find abit more for $300
October 26, 2006 5:38:31 PM

Quote:
So you're advice is that the X-530's are the pinnacle of PC multi-channel loudspeakers and that the Z-5xxx series, Klipsch Ultra 5.1, and Creative GigaWorks 750's are the same thing...just more money...and therefore just a waste? Okay.

:?


Trust me, they are not a waste. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, the X-530's are a good option but if you want better quality sound and more sub than the Z-xxx series is the better way to go. You may find with the X-530's you'll be left wanting a bit more. Here's the breakdown from what I've heard:
X-530's - best budget 5.1 speaker setup and pack a pretty good punch
Z-5300's (i own these) - very good price/performance, not overkill but the sub and quality of speakers is very excellent for the price (THX certified)
Z-5500's - best of the logitech speakers if you have the money, extremley loud sub and speakers and amazing sound at high volumes (THX certified)
Klipsh Ultra 5.1's - Extremly superior sound quality, maybe not as loud as the Z-5500's (correct me if i'm wrong) but you are getting top of the line, quality speakers (THX certified)

I'd suggest going down to Futureshop or something and listening to them all. See which one you like best.
October 26, 2006 5:39:38 PM

Im replying kind of late on this, but I personally like the Monsoon Surround sound system. Ive got a 5.1 with a Sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS and i can crank it up and go outside and hear it 150 Ft from the house. Ive had the speakers for like 4 years and they are still playing away.

I would recommend a surround sound either 5.1 or 7.1 with THX support and the audigy 4 or the X-FI with THX support. Preferably monsoon or creative, but if you got some $ go for BOSE.
October 26, 2006 5:51:54 PM

Quote:
was gonna say lol, $250 might be a squeeze, but i think i might be able to find abit more for $300


Heck, even for $200...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebvJlb8m7as/cgi-bin/ProdVi...

definitely not the best...but @ $200 its competing with the Logitech Z-5300e...and I'd rather have the Sony.

...at $300, using the example from my previous post we're in Z-5500 territory. ...and I'd imagine the Onkyo system (again,
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebvJlb8m7as/cgi-bin/ProdVi... ) is the better quality of the two systems, IMO.

I have the Z-5500's but I don't think I could have gotten a receiver set for the ~$160 I paid for the 5500's. You get so much more utility out of a true home theater system and @ the $200 price point I just don't think the loss in sonic quality and flexibility is really justified. ...unless you just don't want the clutter issue of a full-sized receiver. I guess a PC speakers might be slightly simpler to setup? Naaaah, that's not even a real good excuse.

...of course you might also need this: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&...
for $15 (if you have a SoundBlaster or X-Fi). :wink:
October 26, 2006 6:04:48 PM

Quote:
Im replying kind of late on this, but I personally like the Monsoon Surround sound system. Ive got a 5.1 with a Sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS and i can crank it up and go outside and hear it 150 Ft from the house. Ive had the speakers for like 4 years and they are still playing away.

I would recommend a surround sound either 5.1 or 7.1 with THX support and the audigy 4 or the X-FI with THX support. Preferably monsoon or creative, but if you got some $ go for BOSE.


Did you say...BOSE? Dude. Man, people have been dismembered...decapitated...castrated... for less than that. We try not to use the B word here. I used to say the B word and now 2 pinkies less, I've learned the error of my ways. ...but show us some S/N ratio or THD specs for some Bos...I mean, the B word equipment if you come by them.
October 26, 2006 6:07:13 PM

sorry lol, i was out scouting for components :) , yeah, for how i was thinking, $250 wouldnt have covered it...

with the exception of the receiver itself (which im sure you can find for noticably cheaper than i found it for, especially less expensive used, i only went to 2-3 stores online)... but, i came up with this so far, and theyre all brand new parts too, like you were asking, and each of the 5 speakers is matched, so sound quality between them wont differ...


JVC RX5060B 500 Watt 5.1 A/V Receiver - $179.99
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4786279?site=sr:SEARCH...

Sony Dual 6-1/2" 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)
Model: SS-MF650H - $130
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7879628&s...

Sony 5-1/4" 2-Way Extended-Response Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Black Ash
Model: SS-MB150H - $59.98
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5378799&s...

Sony SS-CN550H Center Channel Speaker - $79.99
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3656025?site=sr:SEARCH...

and, i didnt include a powered sub, because the sub is already included in 'each' of the floorstanding speakers, which happen to each have 2 woofers, and a passive radatiator... so you have 2 powerful blending speakers then, instead of one isolated seperate sub (and it also keeps the price down too, keeping you from having to invest in a seperate sub, unless you wanted to, which again, helps more with the LFE channel, especially watching movies, more than anything else)... because, a sub is most effective just as a low frequency effects speaker anyhow, in addition to the bass already provided by the floorstandings, to give the extra 'oomph' when its called for.

so, without the receiver, it totals out to $270... again, im sure you can locate a cheaper 5.1 a/v receiver than that one if you looked around.

what you could do also, instead of investing in the front floorstanding speakers... is purchase 2 of those bookshelves, and a seperate powered sub instead... again, decent subs can be expensive, but if you look around...

that surround speaker configuration however, and for the comparatively similar price even, will literally blow away ANY pc speaker set... both in volume capacity, bass reproduction, and sound quality/detail/accuracy/dispersion/imaging/ and THD% levels... yes.
October 26, 2006 7:01:17 PM

Quote:
sorry lol, i was out scouting for components :) , yeah, for how i was thinking, $250 wouldnt have covered it...

with the exception of the receiver itself (which im sure you can find for noticably cheaper than i found it for, especially less expensive used, i only went to 2-3 stores online)... but, i came up with this so far, and theyre all brand new parts too, like you were asking, and each of the 5 speakers is matched, so sound quality between them wont differ...


JVC RX5060B 500 Watt 5.1 A/V Receiver - $179.99
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4786279?site=sr:SEARCH...

Sony Dual 6-1/2" 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)
Model: SS-MF650H - $130
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7879628&s...

Sony 5-1/4" 2-Way Extended-Response Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Black Ash
Model: SS-MB150H - $59.98
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5378799&s...

Sony SS-CN550H Center Channel Speaker - $79.99
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3656025?site=sr:SEARCH...

and, i didnt include a powered sub, because the sub is already included in 'each' of the floorstanding speakers, which happen to each have 2 woofers, and a passive radatiator... so you have 2 powerful blending speakers then, instead of one isolated seperate sub (and it also keeps the price down too, keeping you from having to invest in a seperate sub, unless you wanted to, which again, helps more with the LFE channel, especially watching movies, more than anything else)... because, a sub is most effective just as a low frequency effects speaker anyhow, in addition to the bass already provided by the floorstandings, to give the extra 'oomph' when its called for.

so, without the receiver, it totals out to $270... again, im sure you can locate a cheaper 5.1 a/v receiver than that one if you looked around.

what you could do also, instead of investing in the front floorstanding speakers... is purchase 2 of those bookshelves, and a seperate powered sub instead... again, decent subs can be expensive, but if you look around...

that surround speaker configuration however, and for the comparatively similar price even, will literally blow away ANY pc speaker set... both in volume capacity, bass reproduction, and sound quality/detail/accuracy/dispersion/imaging/ and THD% levels... yes.


Sweet. Did we just remove multi-channel PC speaker's right to life at the $200+ price point?
October 26, 2006 7:07:36 PM

Quote:
Sweet. Did we just remove multi-channel PC speaker's right to life?


lol, nah... people should be informed though that there are MUCH better speaker alternatives, compared to honestly overpriced pc speakers, especially considering what else you can get for just about the same price :) 

oh, at $200+? definetly, lol
October 26, 2006 7:21:24 PM

I can understand why someone might not always want something the size of a reciever and all its connections sitting around. ...not always elegant looking and may not, therefore, be "Wife-Approved".
October 26, 2006 7:26:41 PM

yeah, i agree there... 'must be aesthetically pleasing' lol... again, must make a compromise, which... is where pc speakers come into play, theyre more aesthetically pleasing in general, which is their main purpose, but sound quality is also sacrificed :) 
October 26, 2006 7:43:42 PM

I, obviously, can't speak for everyone but I'd think that most of the folks that would frequent this forum wouldn't be under the "Must-Be-Wife-Approved" limitations in their 5.1+ surround requirements. With that said, its good for info to actually see what can be purchased for the same $$ that flattens PC speakers...so I think these last few posts have a lot of value in illustrating that.
October 26, 2006 7:50:38 PM

agreed.
October 26, 2006 8:28:35 PM

Quote:
So you're advice is that the X-530's are the pinnacle of PC multi-channel loudspeakers and that the Z-5xxx series, Klipsch Ultra 5.1, and Creative GigaWorks 750's are the same thing...just more money...and therefore just a waste? Okay.


No no no, Halcyon.. I would never pretend to know more than you about audio. You are obviously an audio guru. But I AM suggesting that these particular units would suit the origonal poster well, and at a lower price than high end Klipschs.... I mean, he didnt say he was doing heavy audio creation, or editing, right? Do you think he NEEDS high end speakers for games or movies? The X-530s really ought to do well for this user.

I dont mean to be rude, I know Im not an audiophile. Im sensible.
-cm
October 26, 2006 8:44:22 PM

Quote:
So you're advice is that the X-530's are the pinnacle of PC multi-channel loudspeakers and that the Z-5xxx series, Klipsch Ultra 5.1, and Creative GigaWorks 750's are the same thing...just more money...and therefore just a waste? Okay.


No no no, Halcyon.. I would never pretend to know more than you about audio. You are obviously an audio guru. But I AM suggesting that these particular units would suit the origonal poster well, and at a lower price than high end Klipschs.... I mean, he didnt say he was doing heavy audio creation, or editing, right? Do you think he NEEDS high end speakers for games or movies? The X-530s really ought to do well for this user.

I dont mean to be rude, I know Im not an audiophile. Im sensible.
-cm

WRONG. I don't know jack so let me clarify that here and now. I apologize if I come off as believing I'm knowledgable, I don't mean to be, write, or sound arrogant or pompous. I'm learning just like everyone else.

With that cleared, I think audio is an important part of the gaming and movie experience so I try to encourage people not to skimp too much when it comes to audio. That's where I'm coming from. I think that @ $100 for 5.1 he may be looking to upgrade sooner than he might've wished.
October 26, 2006 8:45:05 PM

I think the part that is missing, unless I missed it, was the size of the room in which these speakers will be placed.

For example... I use a matched set of separately purchased Polk speakers for my home theater; with a Velodyne sub. However, in the smaller room that contains my computer, I would never need a full set-up containing separate components. It would be overkill.

If, however, this room is small, BUT will be used for the computer+home theater, then consideration for upping the ante may be in order. Just make sure that there are a many comfortable seats for friends. Don't be like some that have one computer chair, and other fold-out metal chairs for others. It won't matter how cool your system is if people are uncomfortable.
October 26, 2006 8:49:20 PM

I see. You still know more than me, though. Your location made me think you were a sound guy for a recording company or something.

I take my hat off to you, sir.
<takes hat off>
-cm
October 26, 2006 8:54:55 PM

Quote:
I think the part that is missing, unless I missed it, was the size of the room in which these speakers will be placed.

For example... I use a matched set of separately purchased Polk speakers for my home theater; with a Velodyne sub. However, in the smaller room that contains my computer, I would never need a full set-up containing separate components. It would be overkill.

If, however, this room is small, BUT will be used for the computer+home theater, then consideration for upping the ante may be in order. Just make sure that there are a many comfortable seats for friends. Don't be like some that have one computer chair, and other fold-out metal chairs for others. It won't matter how cool your system is if people are uncomfortable.


Too true. It's funny about your Polks and Velodyne...since I use a similar setup with the CT150 being my baby.
October 26, 2006 8:59:48 PM

Quote:
I see. You still know more than me, though. Your location made me think you were a sound guy for a recording company or something.

I take my hat off to you, sir.
<takes hat off>
-cm


:( 

I'm just a music enthusiast, I'm not even a gamer and I've hung around this forum and learned a little tiny bit from folks that are bright. Oh well.
October 26, 2006 9:04:06 PM

yeah... were just enthusiast users trying to help each other to make the most beneficial and informed choices, and just helping in general... ...there are a lot of helpful and knowledgable people here, no doubts about that... some ive certainly learned abit from myself, too.
October 26, 2006 9:39:52 PM

I agree. I couldn't believe the difference that spending a little bit more on the Velodyne made to my system. It was more of a feeling than a sound.
The only problem that I have now is keeping movie memorabilia from falling off shelving in the theater. :wink:

I have a 10" sub. I can't imagine what the 15" one sounds like.
October 26, 2006 10:22:19 PM

Hey everyone... once again. I have owned a set of Logitech-560's for a long time now... maybe 3.5 yrs. They have a great sound, but don't let THX certification take you for a loop. Logitech has obtained that cert. several times even with much cheaper setups. Its all bull I say... for now.

Visit an audio specialist if you aren't in the know how with the range of audio preception possible, it gets intruiging (google)

I know a bit about the specs here, so we got: 400 watts RMS; Anod. Alumin. phase tweets; Standard red black wire setup, oem amp?.

We give the sub a hearty portion of the 400 RMS pile, i think it's 155 RMS? and the rest divided by 4 speakers for 60 watts RMS to each??!!

Well lets just say that the setup "weighs-in" literally, it's heavy. Think 25-30 pounds?

This all concludes with the general assumption that high end setups will more often than not feel more solid and have a heft to the package, meaning quality parts and construction. This will guarentee less cabinet vibration and it probably means that you recieved a much better amplifier and subwoofer magnet system than you would with meager $50 (oh how i want to say shilling!)

I have seen and heard in insulated rooms higher end Logitech and Creative audio with no eq and they are marvelous. Research high end audio on wikipedia and google and you'll find that, even though these simple $250 sound like candy, higher end audio does indeed exist but you can only reach for it cheaply by constructing it yourself, honestly...

So pull out the wallet wide if you care to discern a difference, just like you would with headphones... right ? right?
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!