Sign in with
Your question

very slow booting

Last response: in Motherboards
October 23, 2006 8:18:32 AM

i have an a8nsli se motherboard with a X2 3800+ amd processor, 6600GT 512mb nvidia card, 1 250Gb seagate sata hdd, 1 80Gb samsung ide hdd, asus dvd rom, no floppy drive and windows xp sp2 installed, 400w psu. my normal bootin time takes about 90secs, which is pretty slow.. this comp is hardly 2mths old... i don't know what bios setting to keep so they are all default except hdd smart monitoring, cool n quiet are enabled instead of disabled and boot device priority is hdd, cdrom, rest disabled

is there any way i can speed up my bootin coz my friend has a config lower than mine but his comp boots up pretty fast, n its an amd setup

More about : slow booting

October 23, 2006 8:43:56 AM

Check you BIOS setting for HDD. Does DMA are enabled ?
Check your Windows XP startup programs. How many programs are in the startup ? A more you have a more longer your windows will load.
Check your registry settings for automated services. Disable which you don't need.
Check your dual core patch for windows XP. There is an issue between AMD dual core and windows xp.

Do you have lots of fonts in your PC ? if yes you can start to delete some. More fonts you have, more longer windows load.
Try to clean the registry with specialized software. Installing and uninstalling softwares will make bloated registry.
October 23, 2006 9:09:33 AM

Quote:
i have an a8nsli se motherboard with a X2 3800+ amd processor, 6600GT 512mb nvidia card, 1 250Gb seagate sata hdd, 1 80Gb samsung ide hdd, asus dvd rom, no floppy drive and windows xp sp2 installed, 400w psu. my normal bootin time takes about 90secs, which is pretty slow.. this comp is hardly 2mths old... i don't know what bios setting to keep so they are all default except hdd smart monitoring, cool n quiet are enabled instead of disabled and boot device priority is hdd, cdrom, rest disabled

is there any way i can speed up my bootin coz my friend has a config lower than mine but his comp boots up pretty fast, n its an amd setup

ok ..here is your problem....one ide hdd and one sata hdd..this is the problem...

try to run your sistem on either ide or sata drive ...try to boot it without one of this drives......

for example if you use ide to boot ....disable sata drive from bios and viceversa...this is only an experiment to see which one of your drives will slow you down
Related resources
October 23, 2006 10:04:20 AM

slicesoul, DMA is enabled, there are only 2 programs at startup, my antivirus/firewall and probe 2, nothing else. i installed the dual core patch, lets see if that makes a diff....

fainis, how do i disable the ide drive coz i set it to none under basic settings since that was the only place i could disable it but after doing that, windows wouldn't log on

this is the time break up now how long it tkes for my comp to boot up

8secs monitor comes on
12 secs mb beeps
19secs winxp logo comes
60secs, winxp loads up completely
4got to mention sometimes taks 90secs for windpws to load completely

y does it take so long for it to even just start up b4 it even loads up windows?? compared to the intel comp that i had previously which was a config way lower than this but took bout 30-40secs to load, this should load much faster or at least about the same speed
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2006 10:55:12 AM

Delet your c:\windows\prefetch directory. the first time the boot up will be slow. After that it will be quicker.

Quote:
Clean your prefetch to improve performance.

This is an unique technique for WinXP. We know that it is necessary to wash registry and TEMP files for Win9X/ME/2000 periodly. Prefetch is a new and very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer noticeably. My suggestion is: open C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot. I recommended that you do this every month.

Editor Note: Deleting prefetch files too often (Every reboot) can decrease system performance
October 23, 2006 11:03:15 AM

Generally in BIOS there's a setting for Quick Boot. If you enable quick boot, BIOS won't perform 100% memory check, it just perform memory size. If Quick boot is disabled, BIOS will perform the check and more bigger your memory, more longer the boot time.

What kind of antivirus/firewall ?

How big is your memory ? i hope you are not using 128MB. :lol: 

Where is the installation of your XP ? in IDE HDD or SATA HDD ?
October 23, 2006 11:11:46 AM

i have 2GB ram 4got 2 mention tat :oops:  :lol:  n winxp is installed in the SATA hdd currently i'm usin bitdefender as my antivirus/firewall... do believe quickboot is enabled
October 23, 2006 11:34:33 AM

Normally there's no problem between SATA and IDE HDD. But sometimes they can't work together. Just like Fainis said, since your XP is in SATA, try to disconnect the IDE HDD phisycally, not from BIOS, to see if there's some conflict in the driver or hardware.

Does the Nforce chipset driver is installed correctly ?
October 23, 2006 11:40:59 AM

True. It's not really good to run SATA and old school hd together. Tried it myself and it didn't work.
October 23, 2006 12:20:04 PM

nForce driver?? hmm that is something new to me.... i shall go ahead and dl that... if that doesn't help then i'll try disabling the ide cable and see if that makes a diff
October 23, 2006 12:36:32 PM

well i installed nForce amd sli 9.35 but that didn't make any diff... i then tried removing the ide cable and booting, 1st boot clocked 90secs, 2nd boot jus didn't boot at all, came upto the winxp logo and that was it. 3rd boot clocked 60secs... is it poss that my psu is not enough to handle my config??
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2006 12:50:14 PM

If the jumpers on the IDE drives are not correct you will have a very slow boot or none at all.
October 23, 2006 12:55:25 PM

ok i've no clue bout jumpers on the IDE drive.. how do i check that out??
October 23, 2006 1:12:11 PM

I supposed you are not really friendly with PC components. I suggest you to get someone such as PC technician to help you before you make a fireworks in your house.

SATA HDD doesn't have any jumper to set as Master or Slave, but IDE drives has. You need to see the a$$ of your IDE HDD. The a$$ of the HDD is the connector where you plug the IDE cable and power cable. Between those connector, there's a small area where you can see some pins generally 8 pins, there's the place for the jumper to set the HDD as Master or Slave or even cable select.
October 23, 2006 1:13:35 PM

Has this problem occured since you built or has it cropped up suddenly? If it use to load quicker, try running a spyware scan with the latest updates. Check task manager when Windows loads to see if the processor is at or near 100%. Also try a checkdisk and defrag.
October 23, 2006 1:14:36 PM

Quote:
You need to see the a$$ of your IDE HDD. The a$$ of the HDD is the connector where you plug the IDE cable and power cable.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  LOL!
October 23, 2006 1:19:19 PM

from the start its been this slow.... plus my comp is always defragged n i keep scanning for spyware with spybot....
October 23, 2006 1:22:36 PM

Quote:
True. It's not really good to run SATA and old school hd together. Tried it myself and it didn't work.

Normally there's no problem at all. Currently i have 40GB Seagate IDE HDD and 2 SATA HDDs, Seagate 320GB and Maxtor 120GB in my PC. They are working fine without any slow down on booting or gaming.

I already tried to put 3.2 GB IDE HDD and my PC just run fine.
October 23, 2006 1:28:30 PM

Quote:
You need to see the a$$ of your IDE HDD. The a$$ of the HDD is the connector where you plug the IDE cable and power cable.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  LOL!

It's more easy to understand, isn't it ? :oops:  Or maybe you have other terms ?
No offense in this post for you, Denil. :wink:
October 23, 2006 1:31:23 PM

Maybe try running a hard drive diagnostic. Your manufacturer might have on on their website.
October 23, 2006 1:31:50 PM

none taken... :lol: 
October 23, 2006 1:34:12 PM

Additionally I would recommend this PC/WinXP tweaking guide. You might be able to boost your performance a little bit. It has a LOT of info. An example would be to disable ports you're not using, like your parallel port. This should speed up post.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
October 23, 2006 1:52:20 PM

It takes so long to even get to the loading Windows part, I doubt it's a Windows issue or setting.

A couple of things I would check is:

Many boards have RAID ports as well as non-RAID ports to plug up your hard drives. Verify using your motherboard manual that you don't have your drives plugged into RAID ports, if you have both. I'm not suggesting that you have a RAID configured, but being in those ports uses different controllers than standard ports. I'm not sure if a single drive can run in a RAID controller port, but I figure it's worth checking.

The other thing is check the version BIOS that you are running. There may be a newer one out that what you are running, and there may be one out that addresses communication with SATA drives. Be careful though, some of the BIOS's on those ASUS boards require you to have a your Nforce chipset drivers updated to a certain version first or else you'll have issues.

Hope this helps.
October 23, 2006 2:01:08 PM

Since you've said spyware or adware programs, does this programs run on startup ?
Maybe you don't see in the startup menu because usually this kind of program are running as a service. You must see them through registry.

Usually Antivirus/Firewall combining with spyware startup program taking lots of time to load. Antivirus loading the virus lists and spyware loading the lists of spy sites.
October 23, 2006 2:13:56 PM

right click on my computer > click properties. Click Hardware > Device Manager.

Go to IDE/ATAPI Controllers. Select primary channel. Right click properties. Click the Advance settings tab. Then on the device (0 or 1)that does not have 'device type' greyed out select 'disable' instead of 'autodetect'. This should stop windows trying to find a drive that isn't there.

If you have your IDE channels set up differently simply repat the above for the secondary IDE channel settings.
October 23, 2006 2:20:10 PM

Quote:
slicesoul, DMA is enabled, there are only 2 programs at startup, my antivirus/firewall and probe 2, nothing else. i installed the dual core patch, lets see if that makes a diff....

fainis, how do i disable the ide drive coz i set it to none under basic settings since that was the only place i could disable it but after doing that, windows wouldn't log on

this is the time break up now how long it tkes for my comp to boot up

8secs monitor comes on
12 secs mb beeps
19secs winxp logo comes
60secs, winxp loads up completely
4got to mention sometimes taks 90secs for windpws to load completely

y does it take so long for it to even just start up b4 it even loads up windows?? compared to the intel comp that i had previously which was a config way lower than this but took bout 30-40secs to load, this should load much faster or at least about the same speed

First thing you need to do:

Check Device Manager for 'Unknown Hardware'
(Since nForce was 'new' to you, sounds like chipset drivers aren't even installed.)

Second thing:
If you've verified all hardware has a driver installed, run a full diagnostic on your HD. you can also do your own test without software. put your ear close to the hard drive and listen to it power up and boot. if you're familiar with what a healthy hard drive sounds like you should be able to tell if you have a problem just by listening.
October 23, 2006 3:33:10 PM

ok i've done as every1 has said but still it takes some time 2 boot... i'm seriously wonderin if my PSU is little low for this config coz i have a 400W PSU n under 12V its only 17A n i think tat prob has 2 b a bit more i think bout 20A or more
October 23, 2006 3:39:20 PM

just skipped to the end of this so dont know whether this has been asked already
When did you last do a reinstall?

as far as i can tell it looks as tho you have a startup problem related to windows.

how many programs are running as soon as you startup?
CTRL-ALT-DEL and look in the processes in the bottom left you should only really have about 30.

then check the taskbar on the bottom right how many icons do you have running?
stuff like norton, nview outlook etc etc all take up system resources.

my advice would be to do a reinstall then install drivers one by one
after each new driver install restart then disable any form of bloatware that it adds on (nview, mobo monitors, etc) using start\run\msconfig and go to the startup tab

then install your programs and again after each, restart and remove anything that tells you it is a service for that program (adobe reader adds one so does outlook for example)

then check out the tweak guides page to look for un necessary services
one peice of advice for this is to go into msconfig and the sevices tab and hide all microsoft services you can then disable any of these that you want (dont worry you can enabkle them again later if you reallly need them)

now then once you've done that time to start tinkering with the bios

firstly i would load up the fail safe defaults do a restart to check everything is ok then starting with the top work your way thru each
making about 5 changes at a time before each restart (so if something goes wrong you can isolate it) if something does go wrong which it probably will make sure you are happy with using your CMOS jumpers before hand. now then it helps to have a spare computer for this to google stuff as you edit it them turn stuff off like hardware raid and memory testing as these are the main time consumers and after a couple of weeks of getting to know the insides of your bios you should be able to isolate things pretty easily. one major peice of advice tho it sounds like you dont know much about the bios so whilst i fully recommend fiddling with anything you want try waiting a while before adjusting your FSB or Voltage settings as this is the area that could potentially harm your computer.
bearing in mind this is a 30second BIOS guide there are much more detailed ones out there and probably one specific to your mother board

hope this helps you out
October 23, 2006 4:12:30 PM

Do you have a network card in your machine that is enabled but not hooked up? if so, your computer will take a long time for an IP address before using an internal one. Just a thought....
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 130 V Motherboard
October 23, 2006 4:27:19 PM

Quote:

Normally there's no problem at all. Currently i have 40GB Seagate IDE HDD and 2 SATA HDDs, Seagate 320GB and Maxtor 120GB in my PC. They are working fine without any slow down on booting or gaming.

I have done the same...with all kinds of IDE/SATA configs 2 of each....2 ide 4 sata and 1 ide 2 sata and never a prob with that...hell even ran both on my brothers hp :) 

it just does not cause a problem...

@ topic....get the diagnostics from your HDD manufacturer's website and give it a try....you can also run HD tach to see how fast the drive is
October 23, 2006 4:55:17 PM

i have a static ip so that shudn't b the prob... i din realise i got the wring nForce drivers, gettin the right 1 now....

the speeds of my hdd r

134.1 MB/s Seagate SATA HDD
16.4MB/s Samsung IDE HDD
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 130 V Motherboard
October 23, 2006 5:35:45 PM

if that 16.4 is not a typo...it is on it's way out....or set to PI0 mode(not DMA....now thats slow...and 16.4 sounds about right for that)..... is that a bust speed.....or average?

as for drivers...you want the platform drivers....

Also...do you have anything installed on the IDE drive?
October 23, 2006 6:02:11 PM

not sure if its set 2 PIO or DMA.... 16.4MB/s was the avg speed... the IDE drives have nothin installed in them, just using it to store data
October 23, 2006 6:50:29 PM

Quote:

Agreed... if there was a problem we would be seeing a lot more SATA optical drives... there should be no conflict between running IDE & SATA, most PC's do both as they have an IDE CD-drive. I myself have both a SATA and IDE drive (and to top it one of them is the boot device for XP the other for Vista Beta).
October 23, 2006 7:00:15 PM

how good is winxp 64bit?? are all the drivers available for it? i had asked some of my friends n they said it has a lot of issues so i never thought of trying it
October 23, 2006 7:04:48 PM

Denil, I have a A8N-SLI board (BIOS version 1014) with 2x1 GB memory OCZ Platinum CAS 2, 2 IDE HDDs, 1 DVD-RW, and 2 SATA HDDs, running on Antec 550W PSU. My boot time is around 15 sec from the mother board peep sound until Windows XP SP2 boot is completed. So that slow boot time of yours is for sure not caused by mixing IDE and SATA HDDs.

Hit DEL key when booting to go into BIOS, go to 'Boot Priority' and make sure the boot drive is your SATA HDD and NOT the 180GB IDE. By default the BIOS will list your IDE as boot drive, unless you change the SATA drive as boot drive in the BIOS.

Hope this would help...
October 23, 2006 7:10:46 PM

ok i seriously have to upgrade my PSU to somethin higher like 550W i'm seriously thinkin that could be the reason y my boot up is slow
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 130 V Motherboard
October 23, 2006 7:41:18 PM

I would have to guess not....must anything can happen....i have an A64 3200(754...so it has similar power usage to a 3800) with 1 gig of ram X850xt, 2 hard drives(120 sata x 2 raid 0) and dvd burner....all on a 380.....what kind of psu do you have? (sorry did not see it above)

EDIT also look what i got on a 450.... :) 

To check your DMA settings go into the device manager(right click my computer=>properties=>hardware=>Device Manager)
select IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers. look through the primary ide channels to find the drive in question. You make have more than one primary if your sata ports are set to run as ide....but looks to make sure you do not have any PIO drives...even dvd/cd's are dma 2 nowdays....

your drives should be DMA 4 or 5....thats my dvd drive in the pic

I hate to say it....but if you have nothing to loose
you could disconnect the ide and resinstall windows from scratch.....then after all drivers are on...plug in the ide and make sure the bios does not make it the boot drive...
October 23, 2006 8:00:54 PM

No, your 400W PSU does NOT cause the slow boot time. It may cause other problems, such as the comp would start reboot on its own but it would not slow you down. Based on your listed components: AMD64 X2 3800, NVidia 6600 GT video, 2 HDDs, 1 CD/DVD-Drive, 2GB memory, and the mobo itself, the required wattage would be some where around 350-380 watt in idle mode. 400 watt PSU is considered as "under-powered" for today computer standard but as I said, would not cause the computer to slow down.

It must be something else...

BTW, the latest 2 versions of BIOS for A8N-SLI has a bug that if you set the 1. boot drive is CD-ROM or floppy, it would display an error message similar to "NTLDR not found. Cannot find boot drive..." even though you set the 2. boot drive is HDD (i.e. if the 1. drive is not bootable, go to the 2. drive, etc.. but for some reasons it stop looking for a boot drive if the CD-ROM or floppy is empty)

My previous msg is somewhat incorrect. The BIOS section 'Boot Priority' is, I think, where you specify the order, in which the BIOS should look for a bootable drive, for example, 1. boot drive CD-ROM, 2. boot drive first IDE HDD, 3. boot dive SATA drive, etc.. The section you could specify which HDD to boot from is under 'Boot Devices" or "Boot Drives". You can move the drive up or down by using the '+' key or '-' key. The one on top is the boot drive. In this case, just move the SATA to the top, press F10 to save and quit the BIOS.
October 23, 2006 8:11:55 PM

Denil, once you make sure the boot drive is the SATA drive and NOT the 180GB Samsung, we'll see whether you still have slow boot or not. The reason, I guess, for the slow boot time is your BIOS is set the 180GB Samsung as the first boot drive, so the BIOS is trying to boot from that drive and it has to wait until the drive comes back and says "No boot sector found" before it can move on, AND if the HDD has some bad sectors or even not responding, this process could take up to a minute time or longer (time out for IO-request) for the OS to continue. Did you see the HDD light stay on during the slow boot?
October 23, 2006 9:18:50 PM

Nomans, all my settings are as u said, boot drive is SATA drive, not the 80Gb hdd, and the hdd light hardly blinks while it starts booting, but goes crazy whn it reaches the winxp logo

nukemaster, it is Ultra DMA 5 on my comp.

i think i might give reinstalling windows a in the morning... really lost y it isn't workin 4 me
October 23, 2006 9:19:15 PM

PSU has nothing to do with boot time, but with system stability, it's quite logical

I don't understand why you're wasting time on this forum instead of searching google for a solution to your problem,

Microsoft itself has developed a little program which shows you everything that loats at boot time (and how much it takes for everything to load), it's called BootVis and it's freeware and downloadable, just search google for it, here's a quote:

"BootVis 1.3.37.0 Microsoft tool to provide faster XP boot and resume times. "

It was originally created for developers who build systems and want make them boot up FAST so they can sell well. (for example I have a Dell GX150 Pentium 3 which boots faster than any custom-built computer I've seen so far

There's a lot of documentation supplied on the Microsoft web site as well, search there too

Find out what the problem is and you're on your way to fixing it, it might be a driver or a service or such

It might also help to check if a BIOS update helps (read what improvements a bios update brings before doing it, if it doesn't help with your problem don't update)

Also check the kind of RAM modules you have installed, ideally they must be identical.

Good luck
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 130 V Motherboard
October 24, 2006 12:35:00 AM

Quote:
Nomans, all my settings are as u said, boot drive is SATA drive, not the 80Gb hdd, and the hdd light hardly blinks while it starts booting, but goes crazy whn it reaches the winxp logo

nukemaster, it is Ultra DMA 5 on my comp.

i think i might give reinstalling windows a in the morning... really lost y it isn't workin 4 me

Make sure you use a slip streamed windows CD too....makes life more easy....link

unplug the ide to at least keep your files safe(for the most part....)

then once all is installed plug it in...and give it another try.....and you may want to turn off system restore on the file drive.....

Good luck....
October 24, 2006 7:04:25 AM

Quote:

it`s working ...no problem ...but it`s up to the settings in bios .....many mobos have sata emulations....many mobos don`t have enough pata controllers (new ones have only one native ex ich7 or ich8) ..and if you connect an optical device on the native ide ..then the only solution left is to connect the hdd directly to same auxiliar chip which emulates pata or pata raid...

old mobos have problems with sata .... not enough developed and poor integrated..
new mobos have problems with the pata channels....usually only one is left ..and if you have more pata devices expecially optical and hdd all toghether then there is a problemmm..

all this can cause booting problems ..like very slow booting ...or not recognising same of them at all......you`ll gonna have to tweek the bios and that`s up to every mobo.....
October 24, 2006 7:57:53 AM

Just think after what Fainis said. Maybe you can try this,

Check in the BIOS, does S-ATA port are set in compatibility mode or enchanced mode ? It must be set into "Enchanced mode" if you are using XP. But only for SATA, not P-ATA and S-ATA. Only S-ATA.
October 24, 2006 8:41:39 AM

ok i've reinstalled windows and my boot time has come down to 40-45secs... but it still takes about 13secs 4 my monitor to come on, 3 secs later i hear the beep. is it supp 2 take that long?? oh my IDE hdd is not attached... shall attach that and time my boot again

edit: after attaching the IDE hdd, it took another 5 more secs 2 boot up...

slicesoul, i can't find anywhere in my bios about S-ATA port.....
edit: the only SATA port settings i found were enable/disable sata port 1,2 and sata port 3,4... there was no option for compatibility mode or enhanced mode

fianis well i've tweaked my bios with the knowledge i got, like disabling things that are not required, and small tweaks like that. beyond that i don't know what more i can tweak.
October 25, 2006 10:10:16 AM

ok is 45-55secs booting normal?? what happ guys??
October 25, 2006 1:12:24 PM

There is no "enhanced" mode for the nforce controller. It is rather versatile to detect sata1 or 2 and the "enhancement" can be set with the driver. What can cause slow boot?

Incorrectly jumpered IDE devices. If the dvd is set as slave, and no master is present, slow boot will happen. If it is alone on its channel, then make it master.

80 wires IDE cable. need to be used with HDD to prevent wire cross talk at speed over ATA66.

Floppy drive cable inverted. Is the floppy light always ON?
October 25, 2006 1:30:48 PM

You might try unplugging your cd and dvd drives and see from there.I had a slow boot problem once and after a week and a half of trouble shooting and pulling my hair out,I found it was my cd-rom drive crapping out.Only it gave no indication it was doing so as it still read and played every cd i put in it.So give it a try and let us know.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
!