Is Core Temp accurate?

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Im checking out Core Temp here at work (running Core 2 Duo E6400s on our workstations) and it shows that each core fluctuates between 47-48 degrees celsius..

Is this normal?? I think its kinda high, havent tested Core Temp at home yet (E6600) though.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I checked the temps on my work pc. Im a .Net Software Developer...

My pc at home is used for games though :D
I have an E6600. Not overclocked though, the only thing OC'd is my gfx card (factory OC).
I get a 11840 3D 2005 score. ;)

Anyway, so howcome Core Temp gives a higher temperature reading the than, for example, PC Probe or AI Booster? Doesnt it use the same
sensor(s) on your MoBo that the other software utilizes?[/i]

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well the even though they used the same sensors the bios temps and software temps will not be same all the time. Them sensors on the mobo itself is not that accurate either nor reliable. Mine broke long time ago gives me 199c idle! Yeah it says my cpu is on fire. Now my hand is the most accurate temp of my pc! hehe. I just touch the cpu water block and it's cool, so I know my cpu is not overheating.

By the way overclock that E6600 man, that's what it's good for! Unless you want that to last 10years for you.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Um, i know most people say that Core 2 Duo's are really good for overclocking, but i dont really see any benifit for me at this point in time.. What i mean is, its fast enough :) right? lol

Is the Asus AI Booster good enough for OC'ing my cpu though? Coz it has like "overclocking presets", which i assume have been tested by Asus, which therefore means that they (OC settings) should be fairly stable (i actually dont know what im talking about lol)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well it's not hard to overclock. For begginers, it's simple really.

Assuming your components are stable. You can go to the bios. Increase cpu voltage, lets say 1.34volts for your cpu. Decrease ram frequency to compensate for cpu overclocking. You can get it down to 400 if you want to maximum stability. Increase cpu fsb by increments of 10 and reboot. Keep increasing fsb to the highest and most stable overclock. Test cpu and monitor temperature.

I'm planning on getting that E6600 myself, next year and I want to overclock it. With water cooling I can achieve higher overclocking and higher voltage without any worry about overheating. Anyways nice rig by the way and what kind of games do you play on that rig?

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks for the tip ;)

I dont really play online games because DSL is very expensive here in South Africa. So i stick to single player 1st person shooters and RTS games. I've already finished: Fear, Prey, COD2, and Half Life 2 Episode 1. I just finished the RTS game Company of Heroes (really awesome!!!)

I also use the pc for video/sound editing and some software development.

The rig i used to have was:
- AMD 64 3000+
- 1GB RAM (cheap make) :x
- ATi Radeon 9600XT AGP
- Asus K8V-X (Socket 754)

Yeah, so i figured i reeeeaaallyy needed an upgrade :D
BTW, i was very impressed with the performance of the E6600, i highly recommend it!

pancito

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Once you start to overclock you can never go back. :twisted:

you can do it with ASUS AIBoster just get 5 10 or 20% overclock and see if that works.

Core Temp and Intel Thermal Analysis Tool as i understand get the temp from inside the Core. you should not hit more then 60c for continuos safe operation.

The Asus app that shows your temp gets from an outside source, normally 10c less then what the other 2 tools show you and that is ok.

I want to get the best i can get for my money, safe to be able to operate 24/7 for at least 2 or 3 years. the time im keeping my computer. I plan to WC someday but for now I know im stupid enough to not mix water and computer parts in 1 case.