Dell shipping X2 5200+

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
For those who thought it was vaporware, the Dell E521 now can be configured with the fastest X2. It looks like Dell is getting the pick of the high end litter.

Linkage!

Damn! 1137$ and seeing all the base Components Only thing it would need to make it better is add 50$ for the X1300 Pro Radeon And you got your self a Very, Very Handsome Computer System!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
For those who thought it was vaporware, the Dell E521 now can be configured with the fastest X2. It looks like Dell is getting the pick of the high end litter.

Linkage!

Damn! 1137$ and seeing all the base Components Only thing it would need to make it better is add 50$ for the X1300 Pro Radeon And you got your self a Very, Very Handsome Computer System!

Yeah, especially considering those come with an LCD. Again, I figured Dell would get things first. I'm waiting now to see the 3600+ pop up in OptiPlex. But I heard awhile back that those would start out in China.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I haven't heard that rumor... the only recent processor shortage I remember was the Core 2 Duo's in the XPS 700's. As far as I can recall AMD hasn't had any tremendous problems with shortages... *shrugs*

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I haven't heard that rumor... the only recent processor shortage I remember was the Core 2 Duo's in the XPS 700's. As far as I can recall AMD hasn't had any tremendous problems with shortages... *shrugs*

Ha, this is a joke to say the least...

the 5000+ X2 has been in such limited availability that the prices sky rocketed making it a terrible deal at its price point, its been out for x amount of months(baron can tell us) and just now has it begun to come down to its real price...

yeah you could say they were in high demand but thats bs, AMD could barely produce enough to even introduce a new product
whether this is because of Dell hoggin all the processors or AMD not being able to produce enough chips who knows

and regarding the XPS 700 that was b/c Dell had so many pre orders and such and they also we're waiting on different motherboards so it was not solely based on the availability of the Core 2 Duos, if it would have been the X2 5000+ in those XPS you probably wouldn't have gotten yours till last week

intel was able to meet most if not all custom builder demands of processors by 7/31...and on top of that they were avaiable at online e-tailers like newegg and zipzoomfly before that

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

the 5000+ X2 has been in such limited availability that the prices sky rocketed making it a terrible deal at its price point, its been out for x amount of months(baron can tell us) and just now has it begun to come down to its real price...

yeah you could say they were in high demand but thats bs, AMD could barely produce enough to even introduce a new product
whether this is because of Dell hoggin all the processors or AMD not being able to produce enough chips who knows

and regarding the XPS 700 that was b/c Dell had so many pre orders and such and they also we're waiting on different motherboards so it was not solely based on the availability of the Core 2 Duos, if it would have been the X2 5000+ in those XPS you probably wouldn't have gotten yours till last week

intel was able to meet most if not all custom builder demands of processors by 7/31...and on top of that they were avaiable at online e-tailers like newegg and zipzoomfly before that
The reason I haven't heard of any big AMD shortage is because they have only recently been used in products as far reaching as Dell. Inte;'s will definately make big news because of that reason specifically.

Also the shortage from Dell was not caused by pre-orders, (they weren't offered initially) it was caused by Dell offering the Core 2 Duo shortly after the XPS700 started shipping. Once people saw that they were offfered, Dell offered to trade their processor for a Core 2 Duo.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
the only thing that would lure me into buying a dell would be for the monitor as they are actually pretty nice monitors i was considering buying a bottom of the range dell with the monitor to use seperately, then throwing in a large HDD into the comp and using it as a fileserver going to weigh up the prices when i get home to see which is more cost effective

however regarding the 5200 im glad that amd can finally get its teeth into a major manufacturer such as dell (i know they have been for a few weeks now) its only good for both them (amd) and us in the end

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What you have to remember is that AMD was not going to charge $300 for this chip. The only reason they dropped the price was because Intel tried to undercut them. It has been available at a good price at places like Monarch Computer(Tier 2) if you bought a PC, but then Dell started getting orders and that's when the price jumped.

As they (AMD) get all of the 1MB chips out they will pick up shipments of 5000+, 5200+. They have to keep Dell in clover. I'm sure that by Q107, Dell will be back to number one and AMD will be real close to 30%.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
What you have to remember is that AMD was not going to charge $300 for this chip. The only reason they dropped the price was because Intel tried to undercut them. It has been available at a good price at places like Monarch Computer(Tier 2) if you bought a PC, but then Dell started getting orders and that's when the price jumped.

As they (AMD) get all of the 1MB chips out they will pick up shipments of 5000+, 5200+. They have to keep Dell in clover. I'm sure that by Q107, Dell will be back to number one and AMD will be real close to 30%.

Whether Dell can be the no.1 and AMD can grab 30% market share is not related to x2 5000+ and x2 5200+ avaliability.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Whether Dell can be the no.1 and AMD can grab 30% market share is not related to x2 5000+ and x2 5200+ avaliability.

Because you have to attack anything I say you would read that into it. Those occurrences are not purported to be because of the chips but because of the volume AMD is obviously providing them.

Every machine Dell sells is one that MAY NOT have sold without them. IF everyone is getting 90% of their orders and Dell is getting 30% of their volume from AMD, that probably (just guessing) works out to an additional 10-15% share.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Because you have to attack anything I say you would read that into it. Those occurrences are not purported to be because of the chips but because of the volume AMD is obviously providing them.

Every machine Dell sells is one that MAY NOT have sold without them. IF everyone is getting 90% of their orders and Dell is getting 30% of their volume from AMD, that probably (just guessing) works out to an additional 10-15% share.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Dell commands about 15% of x86 CPU market.
30% of 15% is only ~5%.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Dell commands about 15% of x86 CPU market.
30% of 15% is only ~5%.

"only" 5% is a massive amount of market share to gain for AMD.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
While I'm glad that Dell is starting to ship X2s, I hope AMD hasn't bitten off more than they can chew...

I doubt it. I'm sure they could have gone Dell last year but didn't want to lower their prices before the merger announcement.

Also, i just went to monarchcomputer and they have the 5200+ retail chip as the default in their Furia 2 AMD line. The retail price is $525 while the 5000+ is just $25 less for the OEM version.

Strange!

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

The reason I haven't heard of any big AMD shortage is because they have only recently been used in products as far reaching as Dell. Inte;'s will definately make big news because of that reason specifically.

Also the shortage from Dell was not caused by pre-orders, (they weren't offered initially) it was caused by Dell offering the Core 2 Duo shortly after the XPS700 started shipping. Once people saw that they were offfered, Dell offered to trade their processor for a Core 2 Duo.

HP as far as i know is the second largest distributor of pc's behind dell...and they've been selling AMD machines for sometime now...it wouldn't be worth it to find out the exact date but any way i think that when the number 2 distributor sells amd processors that is big outreach especially when AMD is huge in server's and laptops

oh and one more thing, i don't mean to an ass here but amd has never had the production capacity to meet demand, so in other words AMD has almost been in shortage, it has just been they way they have operated...maybe baron can clear up some more on that but amd has never had the production capacity as intel and is partially while they don't have near the market share as intel...

it results in higher priced cpu's and delayed release's which = money and market share lossed...exactly what happened with the 5000+, if it would have come out right away with am2 and been available at a decent price i know more than a few people on these forums that were going to go with that setup, but since it took amd so long to get it out there(prices rose and availability was scarce) people saw that core 2 duo performed very well and just went that

its a shame cause at the price point the 5000+ was supposed to sell at initially it was very competitive with core 2 duo, now the core 2 duo and core 2 quad hype has more than flushed the what looked good on paper 5000+

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
(Msg. 22) Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Dell shipping X2 5200+ [in reply to: sweetpants]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sweetpants wrote:
IcY18 wrote:
sweetpants wrote:

HP as far as i know is the second largest distributor of pc's behind dell...and they've been selling AMD machines for sometime now...it wouldn't be worth it to find out the exact date but any way i think that when the number 2 distributor sells amd processors that is big outreach especially when AMD is huge in server's and laptops

oh and one more thing, i don't mean to an ass here but amd has never had the production capacity to meet demand, so in other words AMD has almost been in shortage, it has just been they way they have operated...maybe baron can clear up some more on that but amd has never had the production capacity as intel and is partially while they don't have near the market share as intel...

it results in higher priced cpu's and delayed release's which = money and market share lossed...exactly what happened with the 5000+, if it would have come out right away with am2 and been available at a decent price i know more than a few people on these forums that were going to go with that setup, but since it took amd so long to get it out there(prices rose and availability was scarce) people saw that core 2 duo performed very well and just went that

its a shame cause at the price point the 5000+ was supposed to sell at initially it was very competitive with core 2 duo, now the core 2 duo and core 2 quad hype has more than flushed the what looked good on paper 5000+

That's not quite true. AMD has never really had a shortage. They sell less processors and are good with inventory. $500 for a chip a step behind FX62 is a good price. Intel just undercut the market with those crazy Core 2 prices.

Intel has about 12 fabs to AMDs two. Of course they will be able to sell more as they will have more to sell. AMD shouldn't play thsi price war game they shol dgo on a smear campaign and talk about how Intel dropped the bottom out of the market and all for 10% of their inventory.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!

Dude the 5200+ has been available for some time now at places like newegg. What planet have you been on??

I hadn't seen it, but that wasn't the point of the post. Lots of people have been saying you can't find it. They ar eactually a few weeks ahead fo when I thought volume in teh channel would be high enough to get the price below $400.

$400 for an FX62 without the unlocked multiplier??? 8O 8O 8O

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I don't have links to prove it but the fact that AMD dropped their 2*1mb L2 lines a while back seems to indicate to me that they are running pretty close to max capacity.

The addition of Dell, a massive customer who AMD are going to want to keep sweet, likely means that other companies are feeling a slight AMD shortage, however this will be offset by the recent demand for Core 2 Duos, which are sure to have caused the percentage of AMD based systems ordered to have fallen at least in the enthusiast market, probably elsewhere.

Either way, if AMD are running at or near capacity, it is a good thing for us in the long run. A company that is able to sell as many products as it can manage to produce is a healthy one, and one that will continue to compete for years to come.

IMHO were it not for the competition represented by AMD we would be on about 2.0 GHz P4s right now, at higher price points, and Intel would be in no hurry to change that. Not that I'm saying AMD are all good and happy, without Intel we'd be on 1.6 GHz Athlon XPs :p