New Core 2 Duo rig keeps locking up or rebooting

smappdi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I built a new rig with the specs listed here.

Once in Windows XP, it stays stabile for anywhere from 2-10 minutes, then it locks up or reboots on its own.

If the system is idle, it doesn't appear to lock up or reboot. It seems to only do it when I'm doing something.

It also seems to do it a lot when I'm trying to get Windows updates. I also noticed that for some reason, a handful of the Windows updates fail to download. I don't know if that's related.

All mobo/chipset/raid/gfx drivers are properly installed.

Let me know what further information you need to help me out.

Thanks!

smappdi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
That was my guess, but the at idle, the system temp is 33*C, and the core temp is 24*C. I will probably try reseating the heatsink again if no one had any other ideas, though.

I'm going to try using Speedfan to check that my heatsink fan is operating correctly, and Memtest to make sure my RAM is solid. I'll report back if all is well and I'm still having trouble.

smappdi

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Memtest determined that my RAM is faulty. So faulty that it locked up the application.

DO NOT BUY FROM ZIPZOOMFLY.COM

I cannot stress this enough. This is not the only defective item they sent me, and they're charging a lovely 15% restocking fee.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
That's odd I never had any issues with zipzoomfly and I've ordered and put together at least 5 different computers. That sucks that your having problems with your new build though. I hope the new ram takes care of it. Let us know. -W

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Seems to me that if they sent you faulty RAM, and they can verify it is faulty, that you should not have to pay a restocking fee. It's their fault. I would call them and smack them around a bit.

segap21

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
If the RAM is indeed faulty, how can zipzoomfly get away with restocking it and potentially selling it to someone else. If they're not going to restock it, why are they going to charge you 15% restocking fee? Seems a bit dodgy to me.