NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Hello. First post in the memory section, been in the CPU section for a bit.

Here's my situation, and hopefully someone might have an answer:

I have the Intel DP965LT motherboard, with the E6600 and I recently bought some G.Skill DDR2-800 (PC6400) memory, which supposedly is 1.8v (which is what Intel recommends). I installed the memory, and it won't post. I try one stick, and it works. I try the other stick, and it won't post. So, I think, okay. Bad module. I put both sticks in my other computer (ASRock 775-VSTA and E6400) and it posts fine, but it is running at DDR2-667 speeds, which I think is due to the BIOS, since I cannot set it for DDR2-800.

Why does both of those sticks work fine in with my ASRock, and not my Intel motherboard? Should I still return them, or try a few more times to make them work on my Intel board?

Oh, my Intel board is running right now with Geil DDR-667 (PC5300) memory, and the voltage on those is 1.9-2.0v.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mondoman

Splendid
Send the stick that doesn't work back.
Also, are you sure your Geil is *running* at above 1.8V, or was that just the spec voltage in the documentation? Any DDR2 will run at 1.8V, but may default to a slower speed and/or timing. The RAM is only guaranteed to run at the advertised speed and timings under the spec conditions. Running at a higher voltage than the standard 1.8V is normally a setting that must be selected manually in the BIOS.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The spec for the Geil RAM is 1.9 to 2.0v. I was shocked that the system booted with it, since Intel stated that only 1.8v memory should be used.

I can't find the original item number specs, but it was in the old Geil box, and had red heatspreaders.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
... I was shocked that the system booted with it, since Intel stated that only 1.8v memory should be used....
You ARE using 1.8V memory (all DDR2 is 1.8V). The higher voltage is just if you want to achieve the speed in the spec.

Yes, I know.

The Intel site states that it requires 1.8v ONLY, not 1.8 to 2.0v. That's why I was surprised it worked, and the 1.8v only memory didn't.

I printed out the RMA and will return the memory. I might just get a refund, since I won't really see much difference, because I am not overclocking, anyway. Maybe I'll drop the money on a newer video card. LOL

Thanks, Mondoman, for all the help, and for trying to explain stuff. I might come off wrong sometimes, but I really do appreciate the help.