Sign in with
Your question

Difference between Core 2 Duo and Core Duo?

Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2006 5:14:22 PM

What's the difference between a Core 2 Duo and the Core Duo? Are they the same?

I can understand that you would want a C2D for a desktop, but what about a laptop?

Are there laptops with the whole C2D?

This would be for "regular" use, business apps and online trading, etc. No gaming.

Are the AMD Turion X2's as good as Core Duo's for laptops? Would it make much difference for so called regular business applications, etc?

Thanks.
October 23, 2006 5:21:55 PM

1. They are not the same. Core 2 Duo is a revised Core Duo to improve its weaknesses. Core 2 Duo CPUs are more powerful than Core Duo ones for shared L2 cache, better pre-fetching alogarithm, more decoding units and slighter longer pipeline stages.

2, 3. There are Core 2 Duo and Core Duo notebooks for sale.

4. AMD's Turion X2's are worse than Core 2 Duo in all fronts (performance, price, power consumption). But for business applications, the difference is not significant except the length of the battery life. Turion X2 notebooks are generally cheaper.
October 23, 2006 5:43:34 PM

The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit part unlike the Core Duo which is only 32-bit.
Related resources
October 23, 2006 5:58:59 PM

I ahte to break it to you but business applications (office productivity, not modeling and graphical work) really don't use much CPU power at all. You can run typical business applications with no trouble on a single core chip (I still prefer a dual core as things feel a bit snappier when switching between applications).

Let me put it this way... I've got my web editing, e-mail (Lotus), IE, Word, Google Desktop, etc. all open and I've got about 3% usuage on the P4 in this desktop. On the other hand I've got 700 MB of my page file used... your money is better spent on extra RAM ( rather than getting the fastest processor. Core Duo would be fine for your needs, I'd base it more on price than anything else, unless you have some fancy application (you said you didn't) I would stick to the Core Duo based on your needs, spending the money elsewhere (as I said more RAM, bigger/faster hard drive, extended warranty ;)  ).
October 24, 2006 12:55:22 AM

Thanks for the useful and informative reply. I appreciate it.

It's not a problem for me that biz apps don't use or need much cpu power. I just like good internet and 2 D graphics speed for stock and currency charts. I just want a good reliable, speedy, light laptop for travel.

I agree with you that more RAM is good. I don't need that big a hard drive. My current laptop (about 3 -4 years old) has a 30 gig hd that's only about half full.

Would you go for Core Duo or an AMD Turion X2 for a laptop? I'd prefer to spend under $1400 or better. I'm not a gamer.

Thanks.
October 24, 2006 1:43:55 AM

Quote:
1. They are not the same. Core 2 Duo is a revised Core Duo to improve its weaknesses. Core 2 Duo CPUs are more powerful than Core Duo ones for shared L2 cache, better pre-fetching alogarithm, more decoding units and slighter longer pipeline stages.
Quote:

Not really. Core Duo is purely a notebook CPU whereas Core 2 Duo is more of a desktop processor.
October 24, 2006 1:51:30 AM

^meh. I see as many core 2 duos as i see core duos for laptops...but for desktops yea only core 2 duos.
October 24, 2006 2:19:15 AM

I don't think the Lenovo Thinkpads come with C2Duo yet; go figure. Most other major OEM's carry the newer processors, however.
!