Home wireless network configuration

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 30, 2004 2:22:15 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I've searched through the Google forums, but I haven't been able to
find anything that addresses my exact situation. Here's my existing
home network configuration:

Room A: one router, two PCs hooked up to it
Room B: one cable modem

What is the best way to use wireless technology to hook my cable modem
into my existing network? I would think that the correct method would
usually be to plug a WAP into the router in Room A, and then any PCs
in other rooms would just need wireless NIC cards. However, I don't
know how I would accomplish this with my cable modem in the other
room. I suppose I could connect the modem to a wireless router, but
I'm hoping there's a cheaper alternative (some sort of external
wireless NIC card?).

Also, I would like to account for the possibility of having PCs in
other rooms (Room C, D, etc) included into the wireless network by
adding wireless NIC cards.

Thanks for your help!

Jerry
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 30, 2004 11:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

orr94@yahoo.com (Jerry Orr) wrote in

> What is the best way to use wireless technology to hook my cable modem
> into my existing network?

Get a Wireless Bridge:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I'd get a wireless router like the Linksys WRT54G and hardwire it to the
modem. Then you've got 4 ethernet ports for hardwire connection plus
wireless capabilities to the rest of your house (theoretically anyway - your
range may be limited)

"Jerry Orr" <orr94@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've searched through the Google forums, but I haven't been able to
> find anything that addresses my exact situation. Here's my existing
> home network configuration:
>
> Room A: one router, two PCs hooked up to it
> Room B: one cable modem
>
> What is the best way to use wireless technology to hook my cable modem
> into my existing network? I would think that the correct method would
> usually be to plug a WAP into the router in Room A, and then any PCs
> in other rooms would just need wireless NIC cards. However, I don't
> know how I would accomplish this with my cable modem in the other
> room. I suppose I could connect the modem to a wireless router, but
> I'm hoping there's a cheaper alternative (some sort of external
> wireless NIC card?).
>
> Also, I would like to account for the possibility of having PCs in
> other rooms (Room C, D, etc) included into the wireless network by
> adding wireless NIC cards.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Jerry
a b F Wireless
March 31, 2004 9:17:25 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Bite the bullet, snag some cat5e and get out the Dewalt.

Cat5e cabling between room A and B makes the most sense. If you must do
wireless between rooms, move the router to room B and put a Wireless
Access Point like this in room B with the router...

http://www.us.zyxel.com/products/model.php?indexcate=10...

You'll also need wireless adapters for the two PC's, see alot more
expensive than cat5 cable.

jch wrote:

> I'd get a wireless router like the Linksys WRT54G and hardwire it to the
> modem. Then you've got 4 ethernet ports for hardwire connection plus
> wireless capabilities to the rest of your house (theoretically anyway - your
> range may be limited)
>
> "Jerry Orr" <orr94@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've searched through the Google forums, but I haven't been able to
>>find anything that addresses my exact situation. Here's my existing
>>home network configuration:
>>
>>Room A: one router, two PCs hooked up to it
>>Room B: one cable modem
>>
>>What is the best way to use wireless technology to hook my cable modem
>>into my existing network? I would think that the correct method would
>>usually be to plug a WAP into the router in Room A, and then any PCs
>>in other rooms would just need wireless NIC cards. However, I don't
>>know how I would accomplish this with my cable modem in the other
>>room. I suppose I could connect the modem to a wireless router, but
>>I'm hoping there's a cheaper alternative (some sort of external
>>wireless NIC card?).
>>
>>Also, I would like to account for the possibility of having PCs in
>>other rooms (Room C, D, etc) included into the wireless network by
>>adding wireless NIC cards.
>>
>>Thanks for your help!
>>
>>Jerry

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 31, 2004 9:39:07 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Get a Wireless Bridge:
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
>
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241

Thanks for the advice! After doing a little more research, here's my
idea... please tell me if it would work (and if it makes the most
sense):

In Room A (router, 2 PCs) I will get a WAP and connect it to my
router.

In Room B (cable modem) I will get a Wireless Bridge and connect it to
my cable modem.

By doing this, I've effectively made my standard router a wireless
router, and the Wireless Bridge I've plugged into my modem will
connect my internet to my network. And if I want to add more wireless
connections in the future, the fact that I got a WAP will allow me to
add more components without expanding my hardware.

Is this all correct?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 31, 2004 8:05:32 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

orr94@yahoo.com (Jerry Orr) wrote in news:7a6d3c5d.0403310539.7d9041f3
@posting.google.com:

> In Room A (router, 2 PCs) I will get a WAP and connect it to my
> router.
>
> In Room B (cable modem) I will get a Wireless Bridge and connect it to
> my cable modem.
>
> By doing this, I've effectively made my standard router a wireless
> router, and the Wireless Bridge I've plugged into my modem will
> connect my internet to my network. And if I want to add more wireless
> connections in the future, the fact that I got a WAP will allow me to
> add more components without expanding my hardware.
>
> Is this all correct?

Actually... There MAYBE a problem. Usually routers have a WAN port, and
I'm not sure if the router can perform sharing on the Wireless Interface
vs. the WAN port. The router may expect all internet connections to come
from a wired connection.

In theory the above should work (with a fancy enough router). But
standard WAP routers may not work properly.

Your best bet of course is to connect the modem directly to the wireless
access point and skip the bridge.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)