kallu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004

I am unable to access internet from my office PC. Suddenly whenever I try to
dail-up a warning message appears, "Remote procedure service failed cannot
save or delete password". My PC is connected to internet via dail-up modem.
My OS is WinXP, can someone help me please. Thanks

that seems to me like the BLASTER worm- virus

"kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to access internet from my office PC. Suddenly whenever I try
> dail-up a warning message appears, "Remote procedure service failed cannot
> save or delete password". My PC is connected to internet via dail-up
> modem.
> My OS is WinXP, can someone help me please. Thanks

Not me, I'd speculate that a dependency has failed. If it were a worm, it
would not prevent the dial-up from working (in fact it would want it to so
it could spread).

Kallu,

Click start/run, type services.msc and click ok. Scroll down to the RPC
service and double-click it. Start it if it is not already running. Go to
the Recovery tab, change the first option to "restart the service" instead
of restarting the system. Click apply/ok and reboot.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> that seems to me like the BLASTER worm- virus
>

> "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am unable to access internet from my office PC. Suddenly whenever I try
>> dail-up a warning message appears, "Remote procedure service failed
>> cannot
>> save or delete password". My PC is connected to internet via dail-up
>> modem.
>> My OS is WinXP, can someone help me please. Thanks

kallu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004

Hi Rick,

When I tried retoring it to earlier time through system restore the RPC/
Dial-up is working as usual. Thanks for your help. But could it have been
really, "BLASTER worm- virus" as suggested by Kenny. I am worried if it is, I
have till now never encountered Blaster virus before and don't know how to
deal with it. And if it was it could be still kicking alive in my PC.

| Hi Rick,
|
| When I tried retoring it to earlier time through system restore the RPC/
| Dial-up is working as usual. Thanks for your help. But could it have been
| really, "BLASTER worm- virus" as suggested by Kenny. I am worried if it
is, I
| have till now never encountered Blaster virus before and don't know how to
| deal with it. And if it was it could be still kicking alive in my PC.

It was *not* Blaster. If it were, you wouldn't be able to maintain an
internet connection without the computer shutting down. And the fact that
System Restore solved the problem indicates that Rick's diagnosis was
probably correct. Are you using a firewall?

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
| that seems to me like the BLASTER worm- virus

You shouldn't be crying "Blaster!" every time you hear "Remote Procedure
Call."

kallu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004

Hi Raymond,
Before was using Sygate Personal firewall. But after updating with WinXP
Service Pack2 I am using only the default Windows firewall. Do I really need
to use third party firewall in addition? Thanks

In news:96783407-A1BA-4748-B095-8A3B7481ECB5@microsoft.com,
kallu <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Before was using Sygate Personal firewall. But after updating
> with
> WinXP Service Pack2 I am using only the default Windows
> firewall. Do
> I really need to use third party firewall in addition? Thanks

You don't need to run two firewalls, but I would switch back to
Sygate, which is better than the built-in Windows firewall. The
Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

You achieve no extra protection by running two firewalls, you
incur the extra overhead of running two, and you run the risk
(probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.
See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx

which includes the following:

"Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

"A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
can provide substantial protection for your computer."

Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
third-party firewall.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:45:04 -0800, kallu wrote:

> Hi Raymond,
> Before was using Sygate Personal firewall. But after updating with WinXP
> Service Pack2 I am using only the default Windows firewall. Do I really need
> to use third party firewall in addition? Thanks

The XP firewall is basic but effective against incoming traffic. If you
want or need to keep an eye on outgoing traffic as well, then you would use
a third party firewall instead of XP's.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

kallu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004

Hi Ken,

I had used Sygate firewall before I updated to Win SP2. After istalling
and regular updates, I felt secure with Windows Firewall, hence the chose.
Most of all I was afraid of the conflict and stability between using two FW.
And, being a novice is trying to be away from instability of system. Was I
wrong?

After your post Iam thinking of using again Sygate in my Office environment
which has 10 PC connect over LAN using Microsoft SQL Server softare and then
since as you said home is a lesser treat, I'll decide.

Thanks more advice if you can.

In news:194FDCBA-A797-4266-BFCC-E8309563F4F2@microsoft.com,
kallu <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi Ken,

> I had used Sygate firewall before I updated to Win SP2. After
> istalling and regular updates, I felt secure with Windows
> Firewall,
> hence the chose. Most of all I was afraid of the conflict and
> stability between using two FW. And, being a novice is trying
> to be
> away from instability of system. Was I wrong?

No, you weren't wrong. I don't recommend running both.

But I do recommend running a third-party firewall, such as Sygate
*instead* of the Windows one, for the reasons I mentioned.

> After your post Iam thinking of using again Sygate in my Office
> environment which has 10 PC connect over LAN using Microsoft
> SQL
> Server softare and then since as you said home is a lesser
> treat,
> I'll decide.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "home is a lesser treat."
Did I say that? I would switch to a third-party firewall (Sygate
or some other--I use the free version of ZoneAlarm) both at home
and in your office.

Please reply to the newsgroup