Remote Procedure service fail

I am unable to access internet from my office PC. Suddenly whenever I try to
dail-up a warning message appears, "Remote procedure service failed cannot
save or delete password". My PC is connected to internet via dail-up modem.
My OS is WinXP, can someone help me please. Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about remote procedure service fail

    that seems to me like the BLASTER worm- virus

    "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am unable to access internet from my office PC. Suddenly whenever I try
    > dail-up a warning message appears, "Remote procedure service failed cannot
    > save or delete password". My PC is connected to internet via dail-up
    > modem.
    > My OS is WinXP, can someone help me please. Thanks

    Not me, I'd speculate that a dependency has failed. If it were a worm, it
    would not prevent the dial-up from working (in fact it would want it to so
    it could spread).

    Kallu,

    Click start/run, type services.msc and click ok. Scroll down to the RPC
    service and double-click it. Start it if it is not already running. Go to
    the Recovery tab, change the first option to "restart the service" instead
    of restarting the system. Click apply/ok and reboot.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > that seems to me like the BLASTER worm- virus
    >

    > "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am unable to access internet from my office PC. Suddenly whenever I try
    >> dail-up a warning message appears, "Remote procedure service failed
    >> cannot
    >> save or delete password". My PC is connected to internet via dail-up
    >> modem.
    >> My OS is WinXP, can someone help me please. Thanks

    Hi Rick,

    When I tried retoring it to earlier time through system restore the RPC/
    Dial-up is working as usual. Thanks for your help. But could it have been
    really, "BLASTER worm- virus" as suggested by Kenny. I am worried if it is, I
    have till now never encountered Blaster virus before and don't know how to
    deal with it. And if it was it could be still kicking alive in my PC.

    | Hi Rick,
    |
    | When I tried retoring it to earlier time through system restore the RPC/
    | Dial-up is working as usual. Thanks for your help. But could it have been
    | really, "BLASTER worm- virus" as suggested by Kenny. I am worried if it
    is, I
    | have till now never encountered Blaster virus before and don't know how to
    | deal with it. And if it was it could be still kicking alive in my PC.

    It was *not* Blaster. If it were, you wouldn't be able to maintain an
    internet connection without the computer shutting down. And the fact that
    System Restore solved the problem indicates that Rick's diagnosis was
    probably correct. Are you using a firewall?

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    | that seems to me like the BLASTER worm- virus

    You shouldn't be crying "Blaster!" every time you hear "Remote Procedure
    Call."

    Hi Raymond,
    Before was using Sygate Personal firewall. But after updating with WinXP
    Service Pack2 I am using only the default Windows firewall. Do I really need
    to use third party firewall in addition? Thanks

    In news:96783407-A1BA-4748-B095-8A3B7481ECB5@microsoft.com,
    kallu <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Before was using Sygate Personal firewall. But after updating
    > with
    > WinXP Service Pack2 I am using only the default Windows
    > firewall. Do
    > I really need to use third party firewall in addition? Thanks

    You don't need to run two firewalls, but I would switch back to
    Sygate, which is better than the built-in Windows firewall. The
    Windows firewall monitors incoming traffic only. Almost any
    third-party firewall will also monitor outbound traffic, stopping
    rogue programs trying to call home, and is a better choice.

    You achieve no extra protection by running two firewalls, you
    incur the extra overhead of running two, and you run the risk
    (probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.
    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx

    which includes the following:

    "Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software
    firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

    "A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for
    typical home computers, home networking, and small-business
    networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection
    could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other
    unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP
    Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall,
    can provide substantial protection for your computer."

    Also note that if you update your third-party firewall to a new
    version, the update routine will probably turn it off first. If
    the Windows firewall isn't running, you will temporarily be left
    with no running firewall, which is very dangerous. So turn on the
    Windows firewall temporarily before doing maintenance on your
    third-party firewall.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:45:04 -0800, kallu wrote:

    > Hi Raymond,
    > Before was using Sygate Personal firewall. But after updating with WinXP
    > Service Pack2 I am using only the default Windows firewall. Do I really need
    > to use third party firewall in addition? Thanks

    The XP firewall is basic but effective against incoming traffic. If you
    want or need to keep an eye on outgoing traffic as well, then you would use
    a third party firewall instead of XP's.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Ken,

    I had used Sygate firewall before I updated to Win SP2. After istalling
    and regular updates, I felt secure with Windows Firewall, hence the chose.
    Most of all I was afraid of the conflict and stability between using two FW.
    And, being a novice is trying to be away from instability of system. Was I
    wrong?

    After your post Iam thinking of using again Sygate in my Office environment
    which has 10 PC connect over LAN using Microsoft SQL Server softare and then
    since as you said home is a lesser treat, I'll decide.

    Thanks more advice if you can.

    In news:194FDCBA-A797-4266-BFCC-E8309563F4F2@microsoft.com,
    kallu <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hi Ken,

    > I had used Sygate firewall before I updated to Win SP2. After
    > istalling and regular updates, I felt secure with Windows
    > Firewall,
    > hence the chose. Most of all I was afraid of the conflict and
    > stability between using two FW. And, being a novice is trying
    > to be
    > away from instability of system. Was I wrong?

    No, you weren't wrong. I don't recommend running both.

    But I do recommend running a third-party firewall, such as Sygate
    *instead* of the Windows one, for the reasons I mentioned.

    > After your post Iam thinking of using again Sygate in my Office
    > environment which has 10 PC connect over LAN using Microsoft
    > SQL
    > Server softare and then since as you said home is a lesser
    > treat,
    > I'll decide.

    Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "home is a lesser treat."
    Did I say that? I would switch to a third-party firewall (Sygate
    or some other--I use the free version of ZoneAlarm) both at home
    and in your office.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Internet Windows XP