Looking for building / buying advice for mid range shuttle.

JMessina

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I am looking to buy or build a mid range shuttle to be used for mid range gaming, web access and various media. I don’t need a power house, so I am looking to hopefully build / buy a cheap setup that will still meet my needs. All I really need is an HDMI output, besides that, I don’t have many requirements. I’d like to keep the total as much under 500 as I can. Any help / suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What needs to fall under the $500 budget? CPU, RAM, HDD, are a given, but do you need Windows, keyboard, speakers, monitor? Also, what do you plan to use the computer for?

If you want HDMI, you'll have to settle for a DVI video card and use a DVI to HDMI converter I'm afraid. I haven't seen any onboard HDMI or video cards with HDMI.

JMessina

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
This shuttle is just going to be attached to a HD TV for various media purposes, mild gaming and web access. I don't need a monitor or any other accessory (keyboard, mouse, etc) included in the price as I will buy those later. Right now all that needs to fall under 500 (or close to) is the shuttle itself.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
There is also the HDCP issue to worry about. Are you going to watch Hi-def movies on your home theater computer? Then your going to need a video card with HDCP compatability...

If you want a decent cheap place to buy parts though, you should check out:

www.directron.com

They have a decent reseller rating and is usually cheaper than Newegg although they don't carry as many items.

One more thing, do you need a large hdd in order to record shows, or would you forego that requirement?

various media purposes, mild gaming
Can you better define "mild gaming" ?
And that "various media purposes" is not the kind of guidance we like to see. Since your budget is so tight its very important for you to be as specific as possible.
Have any idea at all what type of SFF case you want? Is color matching an issue?
For example - do you need a VIVO video card?
What games do you plan to use the system for? Whats the resolution of the HD TV? 1080p, 1080i, 720p? CRT/LCD/Plasma?
Going to use the system for a PVR - personal video recorder - to record TV programs?
Need a DVD+RW or is just a DVD player OK?

JMessina

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I've overlooked the DVR capabilities of a shuttle until just now. How does it normally function compared with retail solutions such as TiVo or other DVRs? Do you have to manually record everything, or is there a way to receive channel and programming listings? In the end, I’d like at least a 200 gig hard rive regardless of any DVR use.

As for Hi-Def movies, I could take or leave it. I’d imagine I’d need to purchase a HD-DVD drive or a Blueray drive to really take advantage of this and the extra cost does not seem worth it.

JMessina

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
The HD set tops out at 1080i, so I won't need any support higher then that.

Mild gaming probably will be World of Warcraft, HL2. I don't need a high end gaming shuttle. Just something to play some nice HD warcraft or FPS.

The color or design of the case is not important to me.

I'm not even certain what a VIVO card is, so I imagine no.

For now I'd say no to the PVR.

1 DVD+RW is fine (I'd like this to be a fairly decent / high end component if possible) I'd also like an extra dvd drive for 1 to 1 copies if the case will allow it.