Pullin' that Trigger

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
Well, analysis paralysis is over, gonna throw down & live with what I get (at least until the upgrade bug bites again. . . )

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower
MOBO: Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP nForce 590 SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2 GB Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory DDR2 800
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express
HDD's: Two 150GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM SATA's in a RAID 0 configuration, plus a 160GB 7200RPM Seagate (2ndary drive - might drop this)
CD: NEC 3550A 16X DVD+-RW Dual Layer Drive
Cooling System: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit (with other supplimental case fans, of course)
KEYBOARD/Mouse: Logitech G15 Gaming model, Logitech Optical Mouse
PSU: NZXT PF-500 500Watt
AUDIO: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1

The only part so far I'm not totally nuts about is the PSU (its comes special with the case), but I have a CoolMax 600CU in my current box, so if its a dog I'll just swap 'em out, or get a better PSU when I decide to upgrade to a SLI configuration.

Not certain on the case, either, but the Coolermaster has good reviews, and the removable mobo tray sold me on it. Might get a cheaper NZXT Zero Tower or Aerocool Extreme, and put the money into another part.

Right not just going through the motions and double-checking all the prices against other retailers to see if I'm getting good deals. Then its Zero Hour.

Critique, suggest alternate parts, point & make fun, go for it 8)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Raptor are horrible at price to performance, and they are loud....get these and save yourself some cash...and get more hdd space. And they use Perpendicular Recording technology...which means (from what I was told)....less moving parts, longer lifetime...and less data errors.

+These babies can keep up with the raptors in benchies...in most cases.

750gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148133
500gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148136
400gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148138
320gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148139
250gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

Logitech Optical Mouse lol, optical is a thing of the past...

G7 wireless laser
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104203
G5 corded laser
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104191

Everything else looks good.

Good luck and enjoy!

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
I hadn't heard Raptor's were loud, but I have read they generate a lot of surplus heat compared to other drives. Given they seem somewhat new on the market I went ahead and just ordered three 300 giggers (2 in a RAID 0). The RAID configuration should pick up some of the slack performance wise, I hope.

I'm perfectly happy with optical mice. :) . The last one I had prior to this was the old rubber ball kind, so I'm ecstatic that I'm not constantly cleaning it or having problems.

Maybe they're one of the most minor parts of the system, but I'm really looking forward to the Logitech Z-5500 speakers. Its also been a while since I had a actual sound card, the last two systems I had, I splurged on everything then cheaped out on audio, using onboard sound.

Oh, and since I saved some $$$ on the HD's I ditched the NZXT PSU and got a Thermaltake ToughPower 700W SLI.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

p90m16mp5a4

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Being happy with your mouse doesn't mean it doesn't suck and it certainly doesn't mean it is greatly holding you back in your performance in games, wich it most CERTAINLY is. Not having a gaming grade mouse will limit you, using a office mouse is pretty sad when you have such a great computer. Whether it's optical or lazer, get a gaming grade mouse.

No sense in havign a good computer with a crappy mouse or a great mouse with a crappy computer. Go to best buy, pick up one of their gaming grade mice. Try it out. You won't be returning it. Get a mousepad too, unless you have a surface that is to your liking.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
You could have bought two 7900 GTO's and hooked em up in SLI mode for the same price as that 7950 GX2.............1 7900 GTO is just slightly slower than the 7950 GX2, but the 7900 GTO doesn't support HDTV (that's ok by me).
As noted by 3lfk1ng, two 320GB Barracuda's ($188) was my choice.
If i were you i would upgrade the PSU because that system will need about 550W (rough guesstimate) to run, not including surge and PSU degradation so include another 30%..........700W will cover it and provide enough power so the PSU is not running at 100% all time.
I really think you should cancel and do your homework before pulling the trigger again and be more realistic with your needs.
I'm not beating up on ya friend, I just wanna make sure that you know what you're spending you're hard earned cash and why.
Example: Do you really need a Water-cooler, or do you just want one...
If you tell me to shut-up and mind my own business i will but I'm just looking out for you......peace out 8)

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
You could have bought two 7900 GTO's and hooked em up in SLI mode for the same price as that 7950 GX2......

Yeah, I looked at going SLI right now instead of waiting. I'm fine with a single card system (for now) - my plan is to get a 2nd 7950 GX2 in the future when the price drops & I feel I need one for new games.
If i were you i would upgrade the PSU because that system will need about 550W (rough guesstimate) to run, not including surge and PSU degradation so include another 30%..........700W will cover it and provide enough power so the PSU is not running at 100% all time.

Yeah, I did that when I ordered. I wasn't happy with the 500 watter so I got the 700W Thermatake.

I really think you should cancel and do your homework before pulling the trigger again and be more realistic with your needs.
I'm not beating up on ya friend, I just wanna make sure that you know what you're spending you're hard earned cash and why.
Example: Do you really need a Water-cooler, or do you just want one...
If you tell me to shut-up and mind my own business i will but I'm just looking out for you......peace out 8)

Eh, its cool, I appreciate the suggestions. I have been lurking these boards for the last three weeks or so doing that "homework" and the system is nearly 100% of what I wanted. Analysis paralysis aside, at one point you have to fish or cut bait.

I agree about the Coolermaster water cooling solution probably being unnecessary, particularly since I'm not going to be overclocking this sytem for a while. But when I do (because its aging or I simply desire more performance) the water cooler is going to come in handy, I think. I've already got an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro sitting on a desk (mistakenly ordered for my current system), so if the Coolermaster has problems or I want to hold off I've still got a better-than-stock choice.