Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are two resolutions possible in Clone mode?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2006 8:07:53 PM

The problem:
Running Win MCE 2k5, I cannot seem to display a TV show on both monitors in a dual-monitor config unless my X1800XL is running in clone mode, and I cannot seem to configure the two monitors with different resolutions in clone mode.

Details:
The "Full Screen" Theater mode option works fine in extended mode with programs such as Windows Media Player, but not in Media Center. I think MSFT did something funny w/ MCE to force it to only show the video content on one display. Go MSFT. :x

I don't mind using clone mode, but I want to use the native resolution on the main display, which I would like to be a 1080p HDTV. For the other display I am using a 7" LCD touchscreen (it's an in-wall remote control) that supports up to 1600 x 1200 which the touchscreen scales down to 800 x 480. For the main display, I'd like to use one of the new 1080p LCD HDTVs. But I would have to run X1800XL output at 720p due to the res limits of the LCD, unless I can figure out how to run the two outputs in clone mode with different resolutions.

Anyone have ideas about this? I'm wondering if I just missed something in the ATi Catalyst Control Center, but I don't think so.

Edited for readability

More about : resolutions clone mode

October 28, 2006 8:18:51 PM

Quote:
Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend knows this guy who heard from this kid that he saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Any help, anyone?
October 28, 2006 9:20:52 PM

You can't have a clone with different resolutions.

When you say the video doesn't show up on the second monitor, does that mean the screen is black, or is the screen still showing the desktop?

The reason that the video may not show up on the second monitor is the use of Video Overlay. Video Overlay usually results in only 1 monitor displaying the image. In most applications, Video Overlay can be disabled to display the image on both screens.
Related resources
October 29, 2006 5:00:49 PM

Thanks for the confirm about clone mode. I was afraid of that.

When I have MCE running a video in Extended mode with the "Full Screen" Theater sub-mode for the second screen, the second screen simply shows the remainder of the desktop instead of full-screen video. When I exit out of the Media Center interface and run the same video in Windows Media Player in Extended mode with the same Theater sub-mode, the second screen shows the video in full-screen.

So from what you're saying it sounds like I either need to find a way to disable video overlay in MCE (if that's even possible), or I need to live with the behavior as-is.
October 29, 2006 5:09:12 PM

Since it is showing the desktop, the problem isn't related to Video Overlay. It is with MCE.

Hope you find a combination that works for you.
October 29, 2006 5:30:09 PM

Hello, I want a clone of myself, but I only want it to grow to be 4 feet tall. You can do that right?

DUH.

Research the word "clone". :p 
October 29, 2006 5:43:50 PM

But what about MiniMe, he was a clone! :tongue:
October 29, 2006 5:51:11 PM

You have two conflicting issues here.

First you cannot display TV on both monitor in anything but clone mode, this is an DRM type crap thing where the apps only let you reproduce 1 instance of the program, whihci is tehcnically what happens in clone mode, you're simply copying the one instance.

Next issue is due to the clone restriction you are stuck with clone's cunction of copying the other monitor, so no different resolutions. You could show 1080P on the 720P display and then only see 60% of the screen with the ability to pan/scan around the rest of it. Still not attractive if you've ever done it before, hate having to re-centre desktop, always forget where I left an icon or something off-screen.

So in short, due to software limitations you can't with the basic software you have, which isn't to say it isn't possible, just not implemented. You may wanna check and see if other apps let you do it, because likely there are proffesional 3rd party apps to do just this thing, but really the standard stuff you're using. Likely require some research on your part from places like afterdawn, etc.
April 18, 2008 7:54:05 AM

The lack of support for this basic scaling function is unbelievable. It's not changing aspect ratio, just scaling resolutions. We are in the process of designing sweet HTPC cases with integrated touchscreen support but no joy with Microsoft. Hmmm...then they wonder why they don't get any traction in the living room.

To compound this, the Vista Media Center team spent a lot of time crowing about the 'improved user interface for touchscreens'. What were they thinking? That the fingerprinted touchscreen is the primary display?

Also, Media Center does not support portrait mode, so no ability to do vertical listings.

Really, for $2 billion I don't think B Gates got his money's worth with Vista. For a company worth hundreds of billions, these inabilities are BS.

***The putz that said 'you want to copy yourself only 4 feet tall' is both an idiot for his not being willing to understand this function and also for not understanding biological cloning. If I make a genetically identical copy of something, that is cloning. It will have the ability to grow as well. So yes, a smaller copy can be a perfect clone. Dolly the sheep at 2 months was an identical clone of it's older original - only much smaller. An idiot twice over.
October 30, 2008 11:11:11 PM

Try using two separate video cards, same model, same manufacturer. One card dedicated to each display.

I dunno.. the thought passed my mind.. it's worth a try.. hell i'm tempted to try it on my machine at home tonight. :) 

I know it sounds stupid but it might work.
August 30, 2009 4:13:12 PM

http://ati.amd.com/technology/avivo/pdf/Avivo_Display_E...

This whitepaper shows it CAN BE DONE. ATI just doesn't put it in the software.

Section:
Quote:
It’s noteworthy that Avivo’s downscaling capability is supported on all available interfaces, which is a first on GPUs. This feature is ideal when in cloned mode and the secondary display device, for example a projector, is lower in resolution , than the primary one, such as a notebook; in such a scenario, other display controllers force the higher resolution notebook panel to be displayed at the projector’s lower resolution. With Avivo’s downscaling, the notebook can run at its native, high resolution, while the image is downscaled to the projector’s lower resolution.
January 22, 2010 12:00:33 AM

I know it can be done because in the middle of a major mess repeatedly reinstalling ATI Catalyst drivers, there was a point where my HDTV and monitor were suddenly cloned with separate resolution (I swear I didn't do it on purpose!). But the mouse icon kept disappearing, and when I wiped the program and drivers and started over with the newest one, I then could NOT set separate resolutions in clone mode... go figure?
Anonymous
August 4, 2010 12:36:53 AM

Hey,

I have a question relating to your previous post. I am trying to clone a second smaller touch screen monitor to show only a specific portion of the main monitor. You mention being able to do this and pan/scan around the rest of it. How do you set that up?

Thanks,

Ryan

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
You have two conflicting issues here.

First you cannot display TV on both monitor in anything but clone mode, this is an DRM type crap thing where the apps only let you reproduce 1 instance of the program, whihci is tehcnically what happens in clone mode, you're simply copying the one instance.

Next issue is due to the clone restriction you are stuck with clone's cunction of copying the other monitor, so no different resolutions. You could show 1080P on the 720P display and then only see 60% of the screen with the ability to pan/scan around the rest of it. Still not attractive if you've ever done it before, hate having to re-centre desktop, always forget where I left an icon or something off-screen.

So in short, due to software limitations you can't with the basic software you have, which isn't to say it isn't possible, just not implemented. You may wanna check and see if other apps let you do it, because likely there are proffesional 3rd party apps to do just this thing, but really the standard stuff you're using. Likely require some research on your part from places like afterdawn, etc.

August 4, 2010 12:48:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!