Last response: in News comments
January 21, 2013 8:11:43 PM

Thrustmaster, why have you abandoned the flight sims :( 
Score
January 21, 2013 8:15:56 PM

Too cheap.
Score
January 21, 2013 8:20:39 PM

With that amount of money, I'd rather buy a real sports car!
Score
January 21, 2013 8:30:52 PM

I don't see how this is able to simulate 2 G's. The screens are fixed so the seat can't rotate or yaw too much. I found a video where it just looks like the seat jiggles a little.
Score
January 21, 2013 8:56:01 PM

billyboy999I don't see how this is able to simulate 2 G's. The screens are fixed so the seat can't rotate or yaw too much. I found a video where it just looks like the seat jiggles a little.

It's not the G force they can produce, it's the duration of that force which is the problem. They can only do short transients, unlike a car going around a curve at high speeds.
Score
January 21, 2013 9:11:38 PM

For a measley 10g's more you could have a Force Dynamic's 401 Driving Simulator - the ultimate driving seat (this thing isn't even in the same state)... OR you could pick up an Ariel Atom or a Catterham and have about 100x more fun than EITHER.
Score
January 21, 2013 10:02:21 PM

Just the same stuff you see in high-end arcades for a couples bucks a play. Not really for home use.
Score
January 21, 2013 10:02:40 PM

I rather hop in my Mustang and get the real deal... >_>
Score
January 21, 2013 10:03:27 PM

I was going to make a comment about eyefininty, bezels, 46,000 etc. but it actually didn't turn out that bad. The bezels are rather thin and probably wouldn't draw the eye too much.

This would work all too well with the Oculus Rift, though, i'm sure.
Score
January 21, 2013 10:33:38 PM

Wolley74Thrustmaster, why have you abandoned the flight sims

You missed the joystick in the first picture, behind the arm of the girl in the chair. Apparently it will do flight sims as well.
Score
January 21, 2013 11:13:36 PM

45k for a 3 dof simulator... seems steep
Score
January 21, 2013 11:20:08 PM

45k, phew. You could buy a half decent car and take it out on track days for that kind of money. The only good side about it is if you ding the car in simulator you don`t have to drag it to the body shop for a repair.
Score
January 22, 2013 12:26:05 AM

QUite obviously this isn't for the average consumer in the least bit. Anyone who can afford to spend money on this likely already has a sports car of some sort which they love. And FYI, I don't believe the Ariel Atom or Catterham are street legal in the states, so aside from finding a track nearby to tow them to, you'd have to get ready to shell out on some traffic tickets. But, again, if you've got the cash for those cars you probably aren't wanting for money for a traffic citation.
Score
January 22, 2013 12:29:23 AM

kikireekiWith that amount of money, I'd rather buy a real sports car!

but you couldn't race it... that takes skill and probably killing a few real cars before you are good.

-------------------

that said, its going to be sad how all the immersion that these give wont be able to trump what the oculus rift does at about 300$

sure you wont get bumps, but you will feel more immersed.
Score
January 22, 2013 1:15:40 AM

pffft a car, wheres my xwing simulator!
Score
January 22, 2013 5:13:59 AM

I don't know any good thrustmaster product, all i hear is don't buy stuff from thrustmaster and get logitech instead, so i think even if i had enough money to afford this, i still wouldn't buy it.
Score
January 22, 2013 6:03:34 AM

not worth $45k. It's nothing more than an interesting project to see, but not even an enthusiast with money to spend is going to spend $45k for that. The price would drop considerably if you took away the monitors, and their stands (Replace it with the Occulus).

To top it off it's incomplete. What's the point in the chair, and the screens, if you have no simulator-like shell to encompass it all. When it's open like that, it ruins the immersion and experience. It's half-done.
Score
January 22, 2013 7:08:26 AM

I agree with the post above.
Score
January 22, 2013 7:17:33 AM

lol $45K ... go buy a used sport car and enjoy the real thing hahahaha

idiots
Score
January 22, 2013 7:20:36 AM

cpyI don't know any good thrustmaster product, all i hear is don't buy stuff from thrustmaster and get logitech instead, so i think even if i had enough money to afford this, i still wouldn't buy it.

thrustmaster were no1 for flight simulators ... no one ever defeated their controllers for flight simulators like 10-20 years ago ...

those days there was tons of flight simulators games .. sadly today , no one is making flight simulators anymore ... not a competition like b4 .. and no 3D engine design just for Flight simulators ..
Score
January 22, 2013 12:13:30 PM

drosencraftQUite obviously this isn't for the average consumer in the least bit. Anyone who can afford to spend money on this likely already has a sports car of some sort which they love. And FYI, I don't believe the Ariel Atom or Catterham are street legal in the states, so aside from finding a track nearby to tow them to, you'd have to get ready to shell out on some traffic tickets. But, again, if you've got the cash for those cars you probably aren't wanting for money for a traffic citation.

While I can't speak for Catterham cars, the Ariel Atom is definitely street legal in EU/NA.
Score
January 22, 2013 1:04:22 PM

driving video game or the real deal hmmm?
a dodge charger:
Charger SRT8®
$45,995Starting MSRP*
Includes everything on R/T Max, plus these differences: +
470-hp 6.4L SRT8® HEMI® V8 with Fuel Saver Technology + +
New three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension
Red Brembo brake calipers
Standard launch control for improved straight-line acceleration
20-inch SRT® design forged aluminum wheels +
Exclusive High-Gloss Black Dodge crosshair grille
Signature SRT badging
Performance-sculpted hood with air exhauster
SRT-exclusive leather-wrapped, heated steering wheel with unique satin chrome rim and a flattened bottom surface
Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
Unique Nappa leather-trimmed front seats with SRT-embroidered seatbacks and aggressive bolstering to help â??gripâ?? the driver and passengers
Heated rear seats
Uconnect® 8.4N System with 8.4-inch touchscreen and Navigation +
Full-color graphic Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) with exclusive Performance Pages
Score
January 22, 2013 1:06:28 PM

i picked the charge so you guys can be modern day duke boys and know what real G's feel like hahahaha.
Score
January 22, 2013 3:50:41 PM

DRosencraft said:
QUite obviously this isn't for the average consumer in the least bit. Anyone who can afford to spend money on this likely already has a sports car of some sort which they love. And FYI, I don't believe the Ariel Atom or Catterham are street legal in the states, so aside from finding a track nearby to tow them to, you'd have to get ready to shell out on some traffic tickets. But, again, if you've got the cash for those cars you probably aren't wanting for money for a traffic citation.

Both are legal... and I've seen them both on the road in NY. You additionally could look at the Ultima GTR (my preference in the ultralight category), though it's more expensive. The way they get around crash testing and all that is that they're sold as kit cars (which may be why you thought they weren't legal). I don't think they can be sold complete in the states, you buy the parts and assemble them yourselves. For about $90k you can put together an Ultima that has 600hp and weighs well under 2000lbs, 0-100-0 as fast as a Veyron... and it's only got rwd instead of awd. These cars are pretty radical... which also brings up the RADICAL nameplate, another maker of ultralights but I'm not sure those are street legal (they make a V8 out of two Hyabusa motors, super light and makes over 300hp... very cool tech).
Score
!