Overclocking with 4 sticks of ram!?!

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
2 gigs of ram is ideal for most windows XP programs, but it looks like 4 gigs may be more ideal for vista. There aren't really any 2 gig sticks of ram out right now. If I wanted to have 4 gigs of ram, and did it with 4 one gig sticks, would they overclock well? I think I remember something about overclocking suffering when you have 4 sticks instead of 2.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I've seen lots of people overclock with 4 sticks. Usually have to go from 1T to 2T, but that change is not significant in the scheme of things.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I've seen lots of people overclock with 4 sticks. Usually have to go from 1T to 2T, but that change is not significant in the scheme of things.

it annoys alot of people and it is a difference in performance, one that enuthusiasts will not like...

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I'm sorry, but if you're just looking to "bench-race" your computer, and aren't really looking for performance gains, then your opinion doesn't hold much. And weather or not you can run at 1T does depend on a lot of factors. There are many people running at 1T with the right setups. I can't really be too specific when I don't have enough info to be.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

it annoys alot of people and it is a difference in performance, one that enuthusiasts will not like...

Im overclocking with 4x512Mb 2T ram right now. I have run my pc at 1T and 2T and I don't see a difference in gaming. I tested if with FEAR test, and the frame rates between 1T and 2T fluctuates with 2-3 frames per second. Overclocking I could only do it with 2T for 1T makes it unstable.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I'm sorry, but if you're just looking to "bench-race" your computer, and aren't really looking for performance gains, then your opinion doesn't hold much. And weather or not you can run at 1T does depend on a lot of factors. There are many people running at 1T with the right setups. I can't really be too specific when I don't have enough info to be.

Alright well i'm sorry to point out that there are all those people on the forums that try to get that extra bit of performane out of their computer, by squeezing that last mhz by getting the better cooling solution or by trying to get your memory to run on slightly tighter timings...what does this all lead too..

exactly what i was referring to earlier, enthusiasts...Enthusiasts, the people who want to get the last bit of performance out of their pc but only 10%(pre-conroe era) of the time would ever see a real world gain from overclocking or setting your ram to tighter timings...so why does everyone do this? alot of reasons but just like i said earlier people always want that extra bit of performance whether its 100mhz or 50mhz and having to go from 1T to 2T is no difference, people will still strive to go with the best performance...so i don't think my opinion was wrong in anyway

and i never implied that the performance decrease was enough to justifty only sticking with two sticks of ram rather than four...

i'll give a quick example, how many enthusiasts out their buy slower ram to place in their with their faster ram...none, cause they all know they could be running speeds at their faster ram...

and how many people would buy 4x4 if they knew that the 1 processor by itself ran at 2.6Ghz, but when in 4x4 could only run at 2.2Ghz (only theoretical), they would definitely be unhappy about the performance speed decrease, albeit a small when when adding a second processor