hp scanjet 4400c install problems

I have an HP scanjet 4400c that worked fine on my old PC, which got
fried by a lightening storm. I'm trying to get it going on my new PC,
a Dell Dimension with Windows XP. I have lost the Install CD-Rom that
came with the scanner; I can't even find the manual.

I'm connecting it through a USB port. I've downloaded the
self-extracting driver sj659en.exe from HP' s site. I run it, but
it bombs out with the following message:

Error 1940.Module c:\Program Files\Common
Files\Hewlett-Packard\Scanjet\hpgwiamd.dll failed to register.
HPRESULT-2147221164. Contact your support personnel.

Can anybody tell me what this means, and what I have to do to get past
it and get my scanner installed?
1 answer Last reply
More about scanjet 4400c install problems

    "David O Bringen" <dbringen@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP scanjet 4400c that worked fine on my old PC, which got
    > fried by a lightening storm. I'm trying to get it going on my new PC,
    > a Dell Dimension with Windows XP. I have lost the Install CD-Rom that
    > came with the scanner; I can't even find the manual.
    >
    > I'm connecting it through a USB port. I've downloaded the
    > self-extracting driver sj659en.exe from HP' s site. I run it, but
    > it bombs out with the following message:
    >
    > Error 1940.Module c:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Hewlett-Packard\Scanjet\hpgwiamd.dll failed to register.
    > HPRESULT-2147221164. Contact your support personnel.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what this means, and what I have to do to get past
    > it and get my scanner installed?

    Which file did you download?
    The 63.35 Megabyte file is the right one.
    Did you download the other file,
    ScanJet 4400C/4470C series PrecisionScan Pro multi-purpose update
    software/driver

    The first thing I would do is Download the driver again. You may have gotten
    a corrupted file.

    Maybe you should order the CD instead.

    --
    CSM1