mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
This seems to be the closest forum for my question...

I want to hook up my camcorder via a Firewire cable and I do not know how to get my system to find it. If I use a USB port it finds it fine.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Make sure your firewire port is activated, you've installed any necessary drivers, both for the Firewire card / port, and for the camcorder.

Plug the firewire cable in, it should find it automagically.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I used firewire on my old computer with no challenges. I used the front firewire port. I'll try the one on the mobo and see what happens.

The drivers on the CD are for usb only. Do I need separate drivers for firewire?

Thanks!

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
This seems to be the closest forum for my question...

I want to hook up my camcorder via a Firewire cable and I do not know how to get my system to find it. If I use a USB port it finds it fine.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Firewire is 1394. Frequently Windows will activate the 1394 port as an ethernet interface. You may have to DISABLE that in network setup before it will find the connected camcorder and install the drivers. Also in some cases if the 1394 port is connected to something during Windows install then the wrong driver may be in place. Ascertain that the 1394 port IS Texas Instruments under "Ports" in the Device Manager, rather than under "Other Devices" with some strange driver.

the_stiffmeister

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I could just be a duff port. I plugged my camcorder into a front 1394 port and it just didn't work, I plugged it into a port on the back and it did.