xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
With my setup.. E6400 and 7900GT... which one is the bottleneck for games... such as Spellforce 2.. titans quest... and oblivion?

I want to do some mild overclocking... but i am using 533mhz corsair ram so overclocking the CPU wont work.

Would overclocking the vid card instead give good performance gains? or is the cpu limiting it.

Thanks

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Yeah but i was told that if i wasnt going to overclock my CPU 533mhz ram will do... as getting 667mhz ram will make a performance drop... 800mhz ram would be good IF budget permits...

Thats why i bought 533mhz ram.

RichPLS

Champion
That is true, if you are running at stock speed, then 533MHz RAM is running optimum at a 1:1 ratio...
Intel does not need expensive high end RAM to perform well... only nec when overclocking...

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
my question is still not answered though :)

Is it worth overclocking my GFX card?? since i cant overclock my cpu??
will the cpu be limiting performance gains from overclocking the GFX card?

G

What is your ram exactly, you might be able to relax the timming and push it some more...

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Higher clocked RAM would give you more room to over-clock than DDR2-533.

But you can still give it a try with the modules you have. Just remember it will not oc as well as DDR2-800.

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys. but i have to remind you, i think we are getting a little off topic...

I dont necessarily want to overclock my CPU.... Its my GFX card that i want to overclock... the question is... is it worth it... or is my CPU going to limit the performance increase of overclock the GFX card..

Thanks again.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
With my setup.. E6400 and 7900GT... which one is the bottleneck for games... such as Spellforce 2.. titans quest... and oblivion?

I want to do some mild overclocking... but i am using 533mhz corsair ram so overclocking the CPU wont work.

Would overclocking the vid card instead give good performance gains? or is the cpu limiting it.

Thanks

Nobody quite answered your question. I can speak from my experience running Oblivion on an E6400 with ATI 1900XT. (I started playing Oblivion with the 1900XT in a Prescott 530 clocked at 3.6 Gig, so I can speak directly as to how the CPU performance affects gameplay.)

Every bit of overclocking you can do on the video card will help with the framerate in busy areas such as on grass and in cities with the Open City mod. (For full antialiasing and lighting the ATI cards do better than the Nvidias.). For fighting and the arrival of new enemies and animals and the NUMBER of simultaneous NPCs in a scene the CPU performance is the deciding factor as to how little hesitation or slow down you get, here the improvement of the C2D over the P4 was dramatic.. For entering new areas the loading time and lack of hesitation depends upon the speed of hard drive access, Raid is useful. For 1600 X 1200 or more one MUST have 2 Gigs of Ram, 1 Gig will cause the game to almost freeze when getting into any action.

Thus, the E6400 at stock is pretty good, but you should try to overclock the video card as much as possible. You CAN overclock the CPU with your ram but the timing will have to be reduced to less than 1:1. Ram access speed matters not nearly as much as CPU speed, GPU speed, memory size, and Hard Disk access.