Sign in with
Your question

PSU/CPU/Motherboard explosion!! Help!!

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2006 1:09:05 AM

Hi everyone,

Please read every word very carefully.

Got all my parts together today and when I tried to switch on the system, Boommm!!!......

I saw a blue light ball with a sound of explosion over the CPU, and then some smoke coming out of the HSF. After that, everything became quiet. No post, no nothing...... then all the power sockets in my house died.

After fixed the main power for the sockets in my house, took out the HSF and CPU, no strange smell and no sign of burnt. Reinstalled them, and got the second explosion, but this time, looks like the explosion with the blue light ball comes from the PSU fan...... fixed the power for all the power sockets of the house again.

Unplugged all the parts and wires in the case, except CPU fan and the 24pin main power, when I turned on the PSU, got the third exposion from the PSU fan again.

At the end, only connect the PSU itself to the socket on the wall, turned it on, nothing happened, the light on the PSU is on, but the PSU fan didn't spin.

Now I think the problem might be with the PSU, or maybe the motherboard and I don't think it's the CPU and other components. But maybe I was wrong.

Help! Help!! Help!!!

My rig: C2D E6600
GEIL DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12)
GigaByte DQ6
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2
HIS X1950XTX
NEC DVD burner
Ordinary Floppy Drive......
PSU: HIPPER TYPE R 580W

Update:

Got my new PSU, everything works fine now. But got two small problems:

1. CPU and System tems are around 42-44C when the system starts. After a while, they change to around 53C. Now idea what will be the tem when CPU loaded.

2. When tried to update new Bios, can't access the floppy, but the drive was correctly recongnized, plus the LED on the floppy drive keeps on forever without any working sound no matter there's a disk in it or what.

Questions: Is the temp ok for not overclocking?
What's wrong with the floppy drive? cable/power connection/quality of the drive itself/connection on the mobo?

Thanks again!

P.S: Just finished the Windows XP pro+SP2 installation and partition of the hard drive. Still installing all the drivers.

Update:

Scorch,

Thanks so much! You are the man!!!

I checked the floppy drive again and found that the end that connects to the drive itself was plugged in a wrong order. I didn't noticed the black triangle indicating the right order of the pins.

Now everything is running perfectly, and I successfully flashed the bios to F5 with the a floppy.

Thanks again!!
October 24, 2006 1:48:55 AM

agreed when ur house's breaker trips its not IF there is a short its WHERE. I wouldn't test it again. Get a new power supply and try from there. Pray nothing else went with it.
October 24, 2006 2:15:33 AM

I must say paying for new parts after that event is a bad idea, because theres no way to know what is really wrong.

I'd strongly consider taking your machine to a local shop for a diag and make them deal with it, then you can play the RMA game. Find a shop that has your replacement parts IN STOCK or theyre BSing you.

But anyways you can do some damage assessment on your own if you follow your power cables, and check through the boards on your components very carefully. With the burning up your computer experienced, there ARE burn marks on your components,you just have to find them.
Post where you encounter the physical damage.
Related resources
October 24, 2006 2:27:07 AM

And don't turn it on anymore heh
October 24, 2006 3:07:00 AM

Those are the truest words that have ever been said.

Yeah I would assume right now that there's gotta be something in there that's fried, your PSU is just gone, don't even try to ressurect it otherwise your house will burn down among other things including possible severe cases of death.

Go to a computer fixing place and get them to look at it, they'll probably hook up the mobo to one of their own psu's and see if it works at all, which it hopefully does for your sake.

You should've probably stopped on the first explosion though, tripping the main breaker is definetally not good, like really really really not good.
October 24, 2006 6:46:09 AM

Make sure the Mobo is seated correctly and not being tweaked in any way then check the 4-pin power connection at the board for polarity, last but not least make sure the video adapter is seated correctly in the socket.
If it still goes boom then strip the case and start over checking yourself at every stage.
October 24, 2006 9:04:25 AM

Hey guys,

I got a PSU from my mate this morning, and just plugged the main 24 pin power, CPU fan and 3 case fans. They all spin very well.

I'm going to the shop to get my PSU replaced. I'll update soon! :) 
October 24, 2006 9:28:57 AM

I'm trying to connect everything now. Come back soon......
October 24, 2006 10:12:30 AM

Guys,

I connected everything again with my mate's PSU, although it's only 230W, I got a GeForce 6200TC instead of my 1950xtx, and......

I got POST!!!!

Now I'm in Bios, trying to update to F5 since it's the most stable one at the moment!

I'll definitely get a new PSU. Thanks! Thanks!!!!!!
October 24, 2006 10:18:15 AM

System Health status is OK now.

CPU temp: 42C
System temp: 43C......

Is this normal?
October 24, 2006 10:20:42 AM

You're popping capacitors. It's a dead PSU.

I'm very surprised it's not killed the fuse in the plug, to be honest.

I've seen exactly the same symptoms, it's quite scary!
October 24, 2006 10:33:03 AM

Great! Thanks so much!

I'm on my way to get the FXXXXXX PSU replaced.

Update soon with my new PSU......
October 24, 2006 10:43:26 AM

no trying to be a smart@$$ but did you use standoffs on the motherboard?
October 24, 2006 11:04:44 AM

You did it two more times after the first? you one crayz mofo big blue exploding spark means something is wrong not do it two more times XD. was gunna say PSU but seem i got here a little late.
October 24, 2006 11:19:05 AM

You are a very, very, very lucky bastard (no offense), that after 3 times, you only killed your PSU.
you can make a donation to our holy god of PCB! :lol: 

so, happy for you it's only the PSU
October 24, 2006 9:42:38 PM

Hi guys,

1. CPU and System tems are around 42-44C when the system starts. After a while, they change to around 53C. Now idea what will be the tem when CPU loaded.

2. When tried to update new Bios, can't access the floppy, but the drive was correctly recongnized, plus the LED on the floppy drive keeps on forever without any working sound no matter there's a disk in it or what.

What's wrong with the floppy drive? cable/power connection/quality of the drive itself/connection on the mobo?

Thanks again!

P.S: Just finished the Windows XP pro+SP2 installation and partition of the hard drive. Still installing all the drivers.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2006 9:53:33 PM

Why the hell did you turn it back on? WHY?

Jeez. That was plain stupidity. Sorry.

(please excuse my harsh words; but there is no closer description for this)
October 24, 2006 10:12:02 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks again!

You should consider yourself damned lucky that your floppy is the only thing that was destroyed. You can pick up a new one on newegg for like 2 balls of pocket lint and a booger. They're very cheap.
October 24, 2006 10:13:45 PM

A solid green light usually means that the interface cable is backwards.
October 24, 2006 10:14:00 PM

Quote:
Please read every word very carefully.

That costs extra.

At first I thought thid was a misplaced chile in the "Worst PC Build Screw-Ups" thread.
October 24, 2006 10:38:13 PM

Not all the time. however that would be my first guess. i actualy ordered a floppy for another computer around here it came DOA the light is always on the thing is just dead. Do people still use those damn things? i used it so much i left it in the box i installed it in dead and the light is happy to stay on all the time.
October 25, 2006 12:01:31 AM

lofl

Strike 3, the ump calls you out, but the catcher drops the ball...

Anybody else here think hipper brand powersupplies should be avoided?

I Never bothered to take the risk after reading all the stuff about failed load tests and inconsistent 12V rail values. Not one for looks, just a long history of reliabilty.

Enermax, fortron, seasonic, antec, and a few others (ocz).

But then again, I have no clue what actually happened to cause the fireworks so maybe it was a case short or something.
October 26, 2006 2:52:46 AM

Hundred bucks says it was a bad modular cable heh
October 26, 2006 2:27:33 PM

Scorch,

Thanks so much! You are the man!!!

I checked the floppy drive again and found that the end that connects to the drive itself was plugged in a wrong order. I didn't noticed the black triangle indicating the right order of the pins.

Now everything is running perfectly, and I successfully flashed the bios to F5 with the a floppy.

Thanks again!!
!