Win7ult 64-bit: is it ok to install the apps in program files folder?

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
hi. i'm running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit on my desktop.

when i install soft/freeware i noticed that some of the programs are directed to the program files (x86) folder by default.
mind you that the soft/freewares are 64-bit compliant.

is it ok to have the apps install in the program files by manually changing the target directory? it won't change anything will it?

thanks ahead.

Solution

Correct. If it truly is a 64 bit program, Windows would have installed it to the program files folder. As you know, Win7 64bit can run most all 32 bit programs and will put them in the program files (x86) folder.
The x86 folder is not the default so to speak, both program files folders are default. Windows will automatically install 64 bit in program files and 32 bit in the program files x86. It does know which is which so I'm assuming those programs you installed are actually 32 bit versions.

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

sounds logic. the technical info of the apps i want to install do say that they can run on win 7 64-bit systems. perhaps what they mean is that they are 32-bit software but can run on 64-bit system?

Correct. If it truly is a 64 bit program, Windows would have installed it to the program files folder. As you know, Win7 64bit can run most all 32 bit programs and will put them in the program files (x86) folder.

Solution

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

yeah, i knew that some or most 32-bit apps could be installed on a 64-bit system. and which folders they would be installed in. the thing that got me confused is the difference between a software being 64-bit and being able to run on windows os 64-bit. thanks for the input... all of youse.