Please answere a myth about stripe sizes!!!

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I was just chatting with a friend who is a pretty knowledgable computer guy and he said something that didnt sound right and I wanted to confer with people here to see if hes right or not.

He was explaining the stripe size and how the bigger the size, the better the performance with larger data, and vise versa. I already knew this. But then he mentions something that ive never heard before when he says that depending on which type of file you configure your stripe size for, the other type of file will suffer horrible performance. To the point where itll be worse or just as slow as a single drive. For example;

If I were to configure the stripe size to its smallest, which if im not mistaken is 24k or something, then large files will be incredibly slow, but if I use a larger stripe size like 224k which I think is the max, I will suffer horrible performance with small files.

IS THIS TRUE?!?!?!?!

I know that each size optimizes certain file transfers, but I had never heard of such inferior performance when using files that are not optimized for the set stripe size..

RichPLS

Champion
It is a mixed bag... but smaller stripe sizes require more CPU power or PCI(e) hardware controller to manage, which is not usually nec since a write is so quick anyway with a small file...
I find that 64k usually works for me tho...
Either way, your performance should not drop below that of a single drive...

gentrinity

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
So my friend was exaggerating then?

He did mention getting an app that records your activities and the size of the files you use most to tell you what you should use as a page file. He said to take the final average and divide it by two. What app or task manager option was he talking about?

Thanks for answering so quick!!