No more Netgear for me

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
March 31, 2004 2:25:57 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Last year I auctioned off my awesome 4-port non-wireless Linksys for a
4-port wireless Netgear for use with my laptop. For the entire year I had
my laptop I would have to reset the router any time I downloaded something
big, like a game demo or something, because it would stop responding. I
wasn't sure what was causing the problem. A couple months ago I decided to
sell my laptop and build a desktop. For the last two months I've been
plugged directly into the Netgear router and it keeps doing the same exact
thing. In fact, it just did it twice in the last 30 minutes. I've tried 4
different firmwares and none of them fixed it. As soon as my new router
arrives, I'm gonna take a hammer and smash the Netgear to pieces.

Anyone else have similar problems?

More about : netgear

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
March 31, 2004 9:57:00 AM

"Greg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:8Hsac.17956$Q45.2038@fed1read02:

> Anyone else have similar problems?

Yes with my Linksys router...

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi Greg!

Greg wrote:
> For the entire year I had my laptop I would have to reset the router
> any time I downloaded something big, like a game demo or something,
> because it would stop responding.
>
> Anyone else have similar problems?

I have a similar problem with my WRT54G Linksys Wireless Router! It
drops every WLAN connection after 5 - 30 and sometimes also cable
connections. After the connection dropped the client does not get an IP
any more, "ipconfig /release" - "ipconig /renew" has no impact and I
have to reset the router to get it working again.

Latest firmware is installed and I tried with different devices (Windows
2000, PocketPC 2003, RedHat Linux 7.0) using WLAN or direct cable
connection and with different DSL / cable modem providers.

Regards, Tanja
Related resources
April 1, 2004 12:54:59 AM

"Tanja Schaettler" <tanja@imagium.de> wrote in message

> Hi Greg!
>
> I have a similar problem with my WRT54G Linksys Wireless Router! It
> drops every WLAN connection after 5 - 30 and sometimes also cable
> connections. After the connection dropped the client does not get an IP
> any more, "ipconfig /release" - "ipconig /renew" has no impact and I
> have to reset the router to get it working again.
>
> Latest firmware is installed and I tried with different devices (Windows
> 2000, PocketPC 2003, RedHat Linux 7.0) using WLAN or direct cable
> connection and with different DSL / cable modem providers.
>
> Regards, Tanja

Hmm... you're the second person to reply with Linksys problems. I think I
may have to play it safe and buy the same model I used to have, which isn't
wireless.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 12:55:00 AM

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:29:31 -0700, "Greg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Tanja Schaettler" <tanja@imagium.de> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Greg!
>>
>> I have a similar problem with my WRT54G Linksys Wireless Router! It
>> drops every WLAN connection after 5 - 30 and sometimes also cable
>> connections. After the connection dropped the client does not get an IP
>> any more, "ipconfig /release" - "ipconig /renew" has no impact and I
>> have to reset the router to get it working again.
>>
>> Latest firmware is installed and I tried with different devices (Windows
>> 2000, PocketPC 2003, RedHat Linux 7.0) using WLAN or direct cable
>> connection and with different DSL / cable modem providers.
>>
>> Regards, Tanja
>
>Hmm... you're the second person to reply with Linksys problems. I think I
>may have to play it safe and buy the same model I used to have, which isn't
>wireless.

Trust me on this: Your problem is the Netgear router. They are junk,
plain and simple. I finally replaced mine with a Linksys after I
found out that the Netgear three year warranty is a lie (they only
honor it for 90 days, after which you must pay them $28.95 to get an
Indian tech to talk to you. No exceptions). I did a Google Groups
search on Netgear and Linksys, and the Netgear posts were all full of
problems like yours. The Linksys posts were mainly about special
applications or how to use it under Linux. Linksys has very few weird
unresolvable problems like Netgear has.

Do like I did: Buy the Linksys router from a good merchant such as
Best Buy after first getting a promise from the manager that you can
return it if it doesn't work. You will be pleasantly surprised that
it DOES work.
April 1, 2004 1:42:09 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

How about trying to solve the problem by defining it, detailing your system
config, and asking for help?

Many people come into news groups with issues and often also don't actually
attempt to address them.

No offence, but moaning doesn't fix things.

It is probably something quite simple.

EG Some Questions to help along...

What OS? What version? What Service pack? Is it up to date?
Do you have any other software installed? Anything Odd?
What h/w config? Do you have ample memory? Is the machine 100% stable?
Is there anything else common between the two configurations?
- Common h.w
- Common s.w
Do you use anything special to download with?
Do you know anyone other customers of your ISP that has a similar problem?
Have you checked the netgear site for FAQ's?
Have you tried contacting them?
Have you discussed the problem with your ISP (OK I now this may be pushing
it)?

Have you tried to do trial downloads from known good web sites EG Microsoft?
Can you use products such as GetRight (this used to be OK, I never use it)?
Does it allow mutliple concurrent downloads? Does it resume correctly on
failure?
Can you Ping the download site after a failure?
If you are running XP, is there anything in the Event Log?
Any specific error messages?
Anything coincidental happen?

BTW: I don't have any netgear or linksys stuff, but I do have an ADSL modem
that drops out all the time :(

- Tim

"Greg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Last year I auctioned off my awesome 4-port non-wireless Linksys for a
> 4-port wireless Netgear for use with my laptop. For the entire year I had
> my laptop I would have to reset the router any time I downloaded something
> big, like a game demo or something, because it would stop responding. I
> wasn't sure what was causing the problem. A couple months ago I decided
> sell my laptop and build a desktop. For the last two months I've been
> plugged directly into the Netgear router and it keeps doing the same exact
> thing. In fact, it just did it twice in the last 30 minutes. I've tried
4
> different firmwares and none of them fixed it. As soon as my new router
> arrives, I'm gonna take a hammer and smash the Netgear to pieces.
>
> Anyone else have similar problems?

April 1, 2004 1:42:10 AM

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c4e3qu$34e$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> How about trying to solve the problem by defining it, detailing your
system
> config, and asking for help?
>
> Many people come into news groups with issues and often also don't
actually
> attempt to address them.
>
> No offence, but moaning doesn't fix things.
>
> It is probably something quite simple.
>
> EG Some Questions to help along...
>
> What OS? What version? What Service pack? Is it up to date?
> Do you have any other software installed? Anything Odd?
> What h/w config? Do you have ample memory? Is the machine 100% stable?
> Is there anything else common between the two configurations?
> - Common h.w
> - Common s.w
> Do you use anything special to download with?
> Do you know anyone other customers of your ISP that has a similar problem?
> Have you checked the netgear site for FAQ's?
> Have you tried contacting them?
> Have you discussed the problem with your ISP (OK I now this may be pushing
> it)?
>
> Have you tried to do trial downloads from known good web sites EG
Microsoft?
> Can you use products such as GetRight (this used to be OK, I never use
it)?
> Does it allow mutliple concurrent downloads? Does it resume correctly on
> failure?
> Can you Ping the download site after a failure?
> If you are running XP, is there anything in the Event Log?
> Any specific error messages?
> Anything coincidental happen?
>
> BTW: I don't have any netgear or linksys stuff, but I do have an ADSL
modem
> that drops out all the time :(
>
> - Tim

I was just blowing off steam.

I've had the same problem with multiple machines using different OS's. I've
been working with computers since the early 80's and building them since the
early 90's. I've done a lot of things to attempt resolve the problem.

The only time it every happens is when I download something bigger than a
couple hundred MB's. Usually it will be game demo from FilePlanet or trial
software from Microsoft. It's happened in other places as well. Last night
it happened 3 times within an hour. When it freezes, I can't access the
internet or the router configuration page. It needs to be reset. Speaking
of resetting, I've also tried resetting the router back to it's factory
settings... didn't fix it.

My systems have all been decent with 1GB or more of RAM. The one that I'm
using now is P4 2.6GHz HT 800FSB w/ 2 GB RAM. I'm using Windows 2003 with
the latest patches. This has also happened with Windows XP Professional
with all of the patches.

I haven't contacted Netgear. From their Web site support it looks like
they're done with this router. I have v1 of it and there's a v2, which has
firmware that's been in Beta and hasn't been updated for more than 7 months.
I think they've moved on. If it's a hardware problem I doubt they'll fix it
or replace it, especially now that it's been a year. When I got the router
I had a laptop and always connected wirelessly and figured that was the
problem. Now about a year after I find out that it wasn't the problem after
all. I did check their FAQ a while ago, haven't looked recently.

I don't have problems with anything else. The system is stable.

No cable modem in your area? I like the speed of the cable modem service in
my area (3Mbit). I have Internet, Phone, and Digital Cable w/ HDTV through
my cable company and do actually save money this way ($120/mo instead of
$170/mo).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 5:41:20 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>I wish companies would come out with a solid, reliable, and full featured
>product.

>Maybe full feature and reliable don't mix.

Some do. The Draytek Vigor 2600 range has all the features, and is known to
be very reliable.
Haven't touched mine since I (having returned a useless Netgear) installed
it in May.
But it's little more expensive, but worth it, just to save time fiddling
with dodgy kit.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 5:41:21 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"MartinĀ²" <memartin@lineCUTone.net> wrote in

> Some do. The Draytek Vigor 2600 range has all the features, and is
> known to be very reliable.

Nice, it has port range mapping :D

Do you know where in North America I can order one (or specifically
Canada?).

Thanks.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 3:27:23 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I wish companies would come out with a solid, reliable, and full featured
> product.

They do but do you want to pay Cisco money?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 3:28:56 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Hmm... you're the second person to reply with Linksys problems. I think I
> may have to play it safe and buy the same model I used to have, which
isn't
> wireless.

See my other post. This may not be the answer
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 4:33:37 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Networkguy wrote:
[...]
> I have a gut feeling that it may be down to the way 10/100 auto
> negotiation has been implemented (remember that there is no standard for

You would do well to read IEEE 802.3-2002.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2004 8:57:50 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> > I have a gut feeling that it may be down to the way 10/100 auto
> > negotiation has been implemented (remember that there is no standard for
>
> You would do well to read IEEE 802.3-2002.

I worded that response really poorly didn't I?

With auto negotiation, the vendor must adhere to the 802.3u EXACTLY. Note
that this applies to 10/100 negotiation and not half/ full duplexing however
similar problems are present.

The problem is that many vendors introduce additional feature (such as auto
polarity or cable integrity) into the NIC that breaks this strict adherence
hence causing problems.

As I said, my gut feel is that the problems are around this but pinpointing
them will take time so I just took the thing back to the shop and got a
different make.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 2, 2004 1:18:56 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Networkguy" <032004@network##noSPAMplease##guy.co.uk> wrote in

> They do but do you want to pay Cisco money?

I would pay 250ish for a decent router.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 2, 2004 3:48:32 AM

sakogjo wrote:

> Trust me on this: Your problem is the Netgear router. They are junk,
> plain and simple. I finally replaced mine with a Linksys

Bad bad replacement. Linksys routers are junk too.
Mine kept crashing regularly like described in this thread.
Sometimes after a reset it would run a couple of hours but usually less
than an hour, sometimes only a few seconds before requiring another reboot.
I tried all firmware versions I could find. Some were better than others
but none of them were really solid.

I recently replaced that Linksys POS with a Draytek Vigor 2900. At first
I was very dissapointed as it crashed within 15 minutes after I got it
new out of the box. I upgraded the firmware with the latest version from
their ftp site and it has been absolutely rock solid since.
I'm now counting average router uptime in weeks instead of minutes (and
I've only had it for about 3 weeks now.)

Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
April 2, 2004 4:46:57 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>> Some do. The Draytek Vigor 2600 range has all the features, and is
>> known to be very reliable.

>Nice, it has port range mapping :D

>Do you know where in North America I can order one (or specifically
>Canada?).

Click 'purchase' on http://www.draytek.us/
Haven't found Canadian reseller.
Regards,
Martin
April 3, 2004 1:24:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Fair enough.
Sounds like its time to repair the unit with a hammer then :)

No cable here yet. We are up on a hill and the cable blokes must have passed
out at the bottom of the hill.
I am looking at putting a wireless link into a customer site - at the bottom
of the hill and piggy backing on that.
Cost? Lots for installation, $0 ongoing :)

!