k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Hey guys I build a computer last week in the Sig below..

Being my first time using raptors and sata was unsure of this but it sounded like the HD's were working somewhat loud.. like whn loading something or whatever they seemed to be clicking louder than your average HD even louder than the 120MM fans I have in there.

Raid 0 btw..

Just passed this off as I was unsure if it was just the way the HD was.
Installed most of my software and up to this point system seemed to be running sweet.

About an hour ago I did a regular restart and once it reached the Windows XP load screen soon as that goes away the monitor seems to shut off and the HD's sound like they are working extremly hard.

My question is could this be a failed HD? Should I attempt to do a repair install or should I yank 1 of the HD's out and try to do a fresh install on just 1 HD at a time to narrow it down.. or did my windows install somehow get corrupt?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
My single WD Raptor 74 GB is louder than my 120 mm fan... it has a distinct sound to it in my opinion. The drives that I have seen (none were Raptors) that made the click of death would all make that sound immediately upon powering up the computer... in other words, before Windows even started to load. if I were you, I'd unplug one of the drives (yes, I know what RAID 0 is) and just listen to see if one drive is making a different sound than the other... I know Windows won't load (assuming your RAID 0 array is your boot partition) with just one drive. If one drive sounds mechanically different than the other... well, yeah... it would appear you might have a bad drive.

Also, consider http://support.wdc.com/download/ and download the diagnostic tool... it should give you an error code if your drive has gone bad. If it does, that's the code you'll need to RMA drive to WD (they're excellent about returns)