repost: Windows ZC utility won''t go away

anosh

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I'm reposting this, because I still hope for a useful answer...

With my Acer 1501LMI laptop came an internal 802.11G adapter. It didn't work
that great. It frequently lost it's connection to my linksys wrt54G router.
So i reverted to my linksys Wireless G pcmcia Adapter. I deactivated the
internal adapter, disabled the network connection and installed the linksys
adapter. It came with Odyssey, so i installed that too. Worked great, right
from the start.

So what's the problem? It that pesky windows zero configuration utility. It
keeps telling me my connection is great (i know), that i'm connected to my
network (i sure hope so) and that there's more networks to choose from (i
don't care). I tried unchecking the "automatically manage my wireless
network connections" box and setting the utility to manual launch in the
list of services. After that, my network connection was gone, odyssey
disconnected and reconnected and disconnected and so on.

Upon reboot, the Windows ZC utilty was back again. And so was Odyssey.
Somehow Odyssey seems to depend on windows' zc util. How do i remove that
dependency and how do i kill the zc utility, permanently?

Thanks for any advice!

E.

AnosH wrote:
> I'm reposting this, because I still hope for a useful answer...
>
> With my Acer 1501LMI laptop came an internal 802.11G adapter. It didn't work
> that great. It frequently lost it's connection to my linksys wrt54G router.
> So i reverted to my linksys Wireless G pcmcia Adapter. I deactivated the
> internal adapter, disabled the network connection and installed the linksys
> adapter. It came with Odyssey, so i installed that too. Worked great, right
> from the start.
>
> So what's the problem? It that pesky windows zero configuration utility. It
> keeps telling me my connection is great (i know), that i'm connected to my
> network (i sure hope so) and that there's more networks to choose from (i
> don't care). I tried unchecking the "automatically manage my wireless
> network connections" box and setting the utility to manual launch in the
> list of services. After that, my network connection was gone, odyssey
> disconnected and reconnected and disconnected and so on.
>
> Upon reboot, the Windows ZC utilty was back again. And so was Odyssey.
> Somehow Odyssey seems to depend on windows' zc util. How do i remove that
> dependency and how do i kill the zc utility, permanently?
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> E.

I find that my system works better with Windows managing the connection
and with the Wireless Zero Configuration service running but...

To disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service, run services.msc,
locate the Wireless Zero Configuration Service, stop it, and set it to
disabled.