Should I upgrade to Windows 8 or keep to Windows 7?

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
So, I wanted to upgrade my PC to Windows 8. But I was more hesitant about gaming performance. When I see the review, I saw Windows 7 slightly outperform Windows 8. But I love the UI, but no Start Menu. However, I can restore the Start menu with third-party software :D

The computer specification was wrote on below

So, should I upgrade to Windows 8 or keep to Windows 7? Windows 8 Pro upgrade sells cheaper ($59).

I'd wait at least another 3 Months.
1) Looks great, and does have some advantages.
2) I tried the prereleased version for a couple of days. Removed it and threw the installation disk in trash. Bought the Upgrade version and have used it for about 3 weeks - Set up on laptop as daul boot. For me it has a major flaw in that when I revert to Windows 7 The system finds a problem and must run check disk.
3) Opions here are slightly infavor of Windows 8, However that is not the general opinion of general public. To quote One source, " Buy it as a xmas present and give t to one you HATE" - LOL.

Bottom Line, you sould like you Like the UI, so probably will like the OS (would still wait a while). As to games (I'm Not a gamer) from what I've seen here there is very little diif in game performance.

maarkr

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012
I just installed it in my son's computer from XP. I like the UI and I think younger folks will like the way it interacts with social media and phones. The important thing is making sure hardware will work and then check software. If you show some issues running the upgrade advisor, you may want to wait until 8.1. My new ASUS graphics card ran fine under the driver Win 8 installed for it, but won't work with the latest ASUS driver for Win 8, so it's still buggy.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I have to add a reply,

@maarkr it may be buggy for you but its not for me. I suppose upgrading for xp it would seem buggy to you.

@RetiredChief I like your answer, its honest and very correct.

@Frenzy windows 8 and 7 performs very much the same.

@Frenzy. If your motherboard, CPU do not support these you will run into problems such as buggy drivers programs not installing correctly. Also your graphic card is dx10 its better to get a dx11 card. I'd say you need to upgrade your system to gain the max out of windows 8

What is PAE, NX, and SSE2 and why does my PC need to support them to run Windows 8?
Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) refer to features of the processor. PAE enables 32-bit processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows and is a prerequisite for NX. NX allows the processor to help guard the PC from attacks by malicious software. SSE2 (a standard on processors for a long time) is an instruction set that is increasingly used by third-party apps and drivers. For Windows 8, for your malware defense features to work reliably we require that your processor support NX. To enhance the reliability of third-party apps and drivers running in Windows 8, SSE2 is also required. If your PC doesn't support PAE, NX, and SSE2 you won’t be able to install Windows 8. Upgrade Assistant will provide you with an error message if your processor doesn't support PAE and SSE2. You'll also see a notice if the processor might not support NX or if NX is turned off in the PC BIOS. Windows 8 Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation and, if it isn't able to, will return your PC to the current operating system.

You can check if your processor supports NX and can turn it on if it is turned off by going into your PC's BIOS. Accessing the BIOS can vary depending on your PC manufacturer. Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, or Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your PC before Windows starts. For more information, check the information that came with your PC or go to the PC manufacturer's website. Once you are in the BIOS, look for the NX or XD settings under the Security tab to turn on the NX support. If the BIOS setting for the NX support option is not available on your PC, you might need to contact the PC manufacturer for info on updating the BIOS. If you need help accessing the BIOS on your PC or turning on NX, you can
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2