Dimage scan dual IV problem

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 17, 2004 7:00:37 PM

Hi,

I got a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV last week and installed
drivers on a W2K computer before connecting the scanner. All worked
well and within minutes I was scanning slides. After a few scans the
scanprogressbar stopped moving and after waiting some more I could
just kill the scan application. After this it was impossible to get
the scanner to work again. I uninstalled all soft, reinstalled and got
the same problem.

The scanner is OK as I installed everything on a Win98Se laptop and
all works as expected.

I did notice that the registry entries are not removed after an
uninstall on the W2K machine. I tried to delete the entries manually
but I get an errormessage saying that the entries can't be removed. I
tried a registry cleaner... all to no avail. I have admin rights (but
the partition is FAT32 anyway)

Re-installing the drivers works without error but as soon as I connect
the scanner there is a 'unknown device' under the USB controllers tab
in device manager.

Anyone has any ideas how to get this solved? (the laptop is way too
slow and only USB1.1 and I have 1000's of slides to go) :-(

Thanks in advance.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelstories from Alaska, Scotland, South Africa,Iceland,

"Maurice ON4BAM" <on4bam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I got a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV last week and installed
> drivers on a W2K computer before connecting the scanner. All worked
> well and within minutes I was scanning slides. After a few scans the
> scanprogressbar stopped moving and after waiting some more I could
> just kill the scan application. After this it was impossible to get
> the scanner to work again. I uninstalled all soft, reinstalled and got
> the same problem.
>
> The scanner is OK as I installed everything on a Win98Se laptop and
> all works as expected.
>
> I did notice that the registry entries are not removed after an
> uninstall on the W2K machine. I tried to delete the entries manually
> but I get an errormessage saying that the entries can't be removed. I
> tried a registry cleaner... all to no avail. I have admin rights (but
> the partition is FAT32 anyway)
>
> Re-installing the drivers works without error but as soon as I connect
> the scanner there is a 'unknown device' under the USB controllers tab
> in device manager.
>
> Anyone has any ideas how to get this solved? (the laptop is way too
> slow and only USB1.1 and I have 1000's of slides to go) :-(
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Bye Maurice
> --
> Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
> Travelstories from Alaska, Scotland, South Africa,Iceland,
> Faroe Isl., Australia, Norway, Svalbard and IOTA activations

Dis-connect the Scandual 4 from USB and Power Pack.
Un-install the Minolta ScanDual 4 Software.

Remove what is left in C:\Program Files\DS_Dual4
Remove the folder C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\DS_Dual4. If found.
If Windows 2000 is not installed on C drive, change Drive letter to your
system.

Backup your registry before making changes.
Go into regedit and search for "Ds_dual4" and delete any entries (and/or
branches) that you find. Then search for "KONICA MINOLTA" and clean out
those entries and /or branches.

If you find more that one entry for the Minolta Scan Dual 4 at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_132b&Pid_000a\
You have a dual install of the Scanner on the USB port(s).

You may have to go into "Safe Mode" to delete the registry entries. (To go
into Safe Mode, press F8 during Boot up).

A TIP:
When the Scandual 4 hangs up, unplug the power plug and USB at the rear of
the scanner and the software will get an error message, then you can close
the scandual software and restart everything. You will lose the last image
that was (almost) scanned.

It is a common problem with the ScanDual 4 scanner. Minolta will not do
anything about it.

What appears to happen, is the CPU in the Scanner loses sync with the USB
data stream and sits in a wait loop looking for a close command that it
never gets. The problem gets worse the longer the scanner is plugged into
the power pack.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"Maurice ON4BAM" <on4bam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I got a Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV last week and installed
> drivers on a W2K computer before connecting the scanner. All worked
> well and within minutes I was scanning slides. After a few scans the
> scanprogressbar stopped moving and after waiting some more I could
> just kill the scan application. After this it was impossible to get
> the scanner to work again. I uninstalled all soft, reinstalled and got
> the same problem.
>
> The scanner is OK as I installed everything on a Win98Se laptop and
> all works as expected.
>
> I did notice that the registry entries are not removed after an
> uninstall on the W2K machine. I tried to delete the entries manually
> but I get an errormessage saying that the entries can't be removed. I
> tried a registry cleaner... all to no avail. I have admin rights (but
> the partition is FAT32 anyway)
>
> Re-installing the drivers works without error but as soon as I connect
> the scanner there is a 'unknown device' under the USB controllers tab
> in device manager.
>
> Anyone has any ideas how to get this solved? (the laptop is way too
> slow and only USB1.1 and I have 1000's of slides to go) :-(
>
> Thanks in advance.

Check website for updates.
If device is unknow drivers are not installed. Remove from device manager.
When it tries to reinstall you may have to point it to the CD or hidden
folder .inf.
Do you have enough space on the hard drive? These are going to be big files.
HTH

> Bye Maurice
> --
> Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
> Travelstories from Alaska, Scotland, South Africa,Iceland,
> Faroe Isl., Australia, Norway, Svalbard and IOTA activations
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 1:03:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:33:19 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Backup your registry before making changes.
>Go into regedit and search for "Ds_dual4" and delete any entries (and/or
>branches) that you find. Then search for "KONICA MINOLTA" and clean out
>those entries and /or branches.
>
>If you find more that one entry for the Minolta Scan Dual 4 at:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_132b&Pid_000a\
>You have a dual install of the Scanner on the USB port(s).
>
>You may have to go into "Safe Mode" to delete the registry entries. (To go
>into Safe Mode, press F8 during Boot up).

This is exactly what I can't do. Not in 'normal' mode, not in safe
mode and not with a registry cleaner. regedit won't let me touch these
entries no matter what :-(
It looks like these entries are 'locked'. I can change values in other
entries but not in the DS part of the registry.

As for the DS IV loosing USBsync .. I had it running for hours on the
laptop.. no problems.. maybe because it's just USB 1.1...

Bye Maurice
--
!