Converting a X-Fi Xtreme Music to a X-Fi Platinum...

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I was on the Creative website today and I noticed that the Xtreme Music has the pins required for the internal connection to the Platinum internal connector box. Now, I've already got the internal connector box from my Audigy 2 Platinum, so I was wondering if that picture is accurate or not. Does anybody know? I'd like to move the Audigy to my GFs machine and put the X-Fi in mine with the box. ANy help would be appreciated, thanks :)

prod14066_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
If the connector is there it should certainly work, my query is more about whether or not the connector is actually there on the Xtreme Music.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Oh. Sorry.

Yes, according to everything I've read the connector is there.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/265/3/

Seems to show it's there.

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Coolness. Yeah, I just noticed on the Creative website that you can buy the I/O kit seperately...lol. Thanks for your help.

halcyon

Splendid
I was on the Creative website today and I noticed that the Xtreme Music has the pins required for the internal connection to the Platinum internal connector box. Now, I've already got the internal connector box from my Audigy 2 Platinum, so I was wondering if that picture is accurate or not. Does anybody know? I'd like to move the Audigy to my GFs machine and put the X-Fi in mine with the box. ANy help would be appreciated, thanks :)

prod14066_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

I seem to recall others attempting this feat with limited success. The X-Fi XM certainly has the connectors. ...of course you lose the firewire, as the X-Fi doesn't have the header...but your mobo may. With some confidence I can say you'll not short or damage anything by trying so give it a shot and let us know. I simply canna recall whether or not this worked well for others that have attempted it.

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for the reply. My mobo does have Firewire, so that bit's ok. Might as well give it a shot. If it doesn't work it'll be no great loss, but it'd sure be nice. I'll post back here when it happens :).

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
You are better off getting the X-Fi panel, The audigy panel does not have optical in and out connections if I recall and the X-Fi does. If i remember the Audigy has a firewire 1394 port on the control panel.

R Collins

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
The Audigy 2 has the optical in/out connectors. As far as I can tell the things are identical barring the firewire which is connected seperately anyway, the writing on it and the volume knobs.