Asus a8n sli se - flashed bios, boot problems

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
So, updated the bios on my motherboard, restart computer. When it booted, it says "boot disk failure ; insert system disk", so I insert the system disk, go to windows recovery console, do "fixboot" and "fixmbr", and now the computer works but only if the windows disk is in the drive.

I want to reformat the pc again, but am worried this bios thing could cause problems, and was wondering if there is a way I can restore the old bios on the motherboard?

I am using:

Asus a8n sli se (skt 939)
Amd athlon 64 X2 3800 skt 939
ATI x1800xt 256mb gddr3
Hiper modular psu 580w
1gb of cheapo ram
2 ide HDD
1 cd rom
1 cd rw

When you flashed the Bios, your settings got lost. You need to go back in the Bios and put your settings back in. In particular pay attention to the boot order. That is where you problem is.

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Restored it to default, still wont boot.
Changed it back to booting from cd-rom, and it boots. :/

If I cleared the RTC ram, using the motherboard jumpers, would that restore the bios to their originals? manual says it will clear motherboard of memory of date, time and system setup parameters. Would that reset the bios to their originals then or?

Punisher1024

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
So would revert the BIOS to their original settings? Would I need to reformat aswell? I have work on my computer I need to get off first anyway :)

Thanks for the replies :)

No you will not lose any files on your hard disk.
You are just setting general instructions to your computer.
Most important you need to set the Bios to boot from your hard drive.
That way you will have Windows back.