feature requests

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
no 'reply to' button, no way to tell who a new post was in reply to leading to more quoting than necessary.

The search function doesn't appear to work.

Also the edit feature seems to be hit and miss.

Profile can no longer do email notifications of other posts in threads which I have posted.

Labbai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
Hi,

no 'reply to' button, no way to tell who a new post was in reply to leading to more quoting than necessary.
"Reply to" button :
quote.gif
("Quote this message")

To view who a new post was in reply, just click on "** wrote" in a quote.

Ex :

(click on "croc wrote")

Also the edit feature seems to be hit and miss.
It exists 2 edit modes : quick (
edit-in.gif
) and normal (
edit.gif
)

Profile can no longer do email notifications of other posts in threads which I have posted.
To be alerted to new posts in threads which you have posted, you have to click on
subscribe.gif
("Enable the mail notification of this thread") on each thread you want to be notified.

ninjahedge

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Requesting removal, or at least optional turning off, of the star rating system.

It does not matter too much, but when you are ragging people on "other" you end up with a rep that bugs you and absolutely no reason (given) why.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Search function improved, but there still does not appear to be a 'search all' function... Nor can I do a 'search all' on my posts...

Edit feature seems to now work.

Still no 'reply to' feature. Posts used to have a heading in every msg stating who that poster was replying to if the poster used the 'reply to' button. Now there's only the quote option.

No auto-email notification in profile. It is a pain to post, then have to go back into that thread to enable email notification.

But hey, its your web site, hard drives are cheap, and we posters are just your customers... So I really don't expect much from this post.

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Search all seems to work for me on all of the English speaking versions of the forum.

Good to hear that edit's working.

Reinstatement of the "reply to " feature has been requested. I'm not sure how far along they are, but I know that the queue for forum fixes and features is long.

Auto-email notification: You're right. It is a pain. I'll ask for migration of that feature.

The forums aren't my beat, but I care about them, particularly because it's the easiest way for the audience of Tom's Hardware to reach the editors and testers.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

And please get rid of the annoying, sexist 'lips' survey request. annoying because it pops up between paging back and sexist, well, just because it is.

And please reinstate the reply-to feature and the email notification functions.

My 2p....

Croc.

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The star system is SUPPOSED to be something to recognize good quality posts. As implemented it doesn't quite work right, measuring the wrong things. It has been disabled for now. As I understand it, the forums programming team is focusing on core functionality of the forums first.