Sign in with
Your question

Tomshardware hacked?

Last response: in Site Feedback
August 8, 2007 1:37:43 PM

While I was looking at the THG main site (www.tomshardware.com) OfficeScan reported it had blocked an URL, namely google-counter.com/{something} which according to AdBlock was residing in an IFrame. I was immediately curious and googled away finally finding this: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=security&message.id=18048 now according to this it seems this was due to a vulnerability in Apache.
As of writing this the offending IFrame has been removed but how embarrassing is it for a technology site frequently featuring security related stuff to be exploited in such a way.

Here's hoping it never happens again.

FYI

Edit: Fixed typos

More about : tomshardware hacked

August 9, 2007 2:41:19 PM

I'm surprised to see that nobody seems to care that THG got pwned...
Not even THG themselves, but maybe they just don't read this part of the forums because everybody keeps screaming how awful the site is now.
August 9, 2007 4:57:44 PM

The site admins do not care... that is for sure. If they don't care, why should the rest of us? The IFrame was probably something they set up themselves anyway.
August 10, 2007 8:35:27 AM

Zoron said:
The site admins do not care... that is for sure. If they don't care, why should the rest of us? The IFrame was probably something they set up themselves anyway.

If you'd bothered to look at the link I included, or indeed read the whole post you would have seen that this is an exploit for a vulnerability in Apache and if the site admins don't care about getting pwned by a malicious site that is a risk to us users...
Well to me that seems pretty messed up right there.

Hey THG what the hell?!
!