Enendar24

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hey,

I'm building a new computer because the motherboard on in my shuttle xps is dying. My sister has a cheapo emachines with a Celeron 2.8Ghz processor in it. I was wondering if I could take the P4 out of my shuttle and put it in her system. I check her motherboard already and it seems like it will support my processor, I was jsut wondering if the fan/heatsink on her Celeron will be enough to cool my P4 3.0Ghz?

Or has any else heard of using a shuttle xps heatsink/fan inside a different case?

Thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Would need to be somewhat more specific, like SickNinja is asking.

Need to be somewhat sure that your sisters chipset will be able to use your P4, depending on what it actually is.

If they are both Northwood cores, chances are the HSF will work, but may run a lil bit hoter then normal. Since its a Emachine, hard to say if you could take the retention brackets off your shuttle MB and be able to mount them on the other MB.

The TDP for the Celeron 2.8 is around 68Watts, and the Northwood 3.0 should be around 82Watts, if they are both Northwood cores.

If its a prescott P4 3.0, its TDP is around 89 or 90watts, but those CPUs pretty much has a hot reputation, so, I wouldn't count on a celeron HSF to be sufficient. And, without knowing your sisters chipset, there is a chance that the Emachine will not support a prescott.

Edit: also you should check for bios updates for that machine as well, for extra CPU support.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hey,

I'm building a new computer because the motherboard on in my shuttle xps is dying. My sister has a cheapo emachines with a Celeron 2.8Ghz processor in it. I was wondering if I could take the P4 out of my shuttle and put it in her system. I check her motherboard already and it seems like it will support my processor, I was jsut wondering if the fan/heatsink on her Celeron will be enough to cool my P4 3.0Ghz?

Or has any else heard of using a shuttle xps heatsink/fan inside a different case?

Thanks
Check it out man, give it a try and see the load temps, it's the only way to know it 100%. If it does not have a thermal diode (the mombo), give the heatsink a check by touching the fins and if they don't burn it's OK (given that you have made a good install of the HSF because if tou place it badly and the fins are cool, it means the core is hot like hell :D

Enendar24

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The P4 is a northwood and the Celeron is a prescott. I looked up the chipset and it should be compatible with both. Sounds like the heatsink may do the job. I just wasn't sure how much hotter P4s ran compared to Celerons. She only uses the computer for internet so its not like the P4 really needs to be the coolest. I might mod her case a little and add an intake fan just so the whole system stays cooler. Not quit sure how I'll mod that case to do that, but thats half the fun of it right? lol.

I tried looking on eMachine's website for the bios updates but I couldn't find it, maybe I'm just retarded.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The celeron is a prescott, eh?

Well, that northy should run somewhat cooler, and that celeron prescott HSF should be fine.

TDP Celeron D 335 - 73Watts - 478 pin
TDP Celeron D 336 - 84Watts - 775 pin

However... the Northwood is a 478 socket.

That Celeron D 336... 775 Socket. So its not going to work, if it is the 336 model... I think :?